SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
I thought it was by Todd Architects? Seems to be a new proposal submitted with Like Architects? But construction is meant to begin in a couple of months...

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
I just hope it doesnt mean a delay in construction. The timeframe I received is as follows:

April 2015: Breaking Ground on site, foundations & building frame works started
October 2015: Core build to main envelope starts
January 2016: Building Frame & Envelope complete
February 2016: Roof complete
April 2016: Windows & Balconies installed
August 2016: Internal fit out complete
October 2016: Construction Complete

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
No, it's the small plot of land on the south side of Bridge End nestled between the two railway bridges. The area you're talking about is Sirocco Works, which was shelved when the company that proposed a major development there (called Sirocco Quays) went bust. Sirocco would be the highest profile development area in Belfast with the exception of cheap dockland sites or areas blighted by dual carriageways. Asda want to move there but it remains to be seen whether that will happen.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Aye, I see where you mean now. It did look to small to cover all that massive area. Thanks for the explanation, though, I always wondered why nothing ever got built in there. It really seems to be begging for it, it's such a blight in the Belfast landscape. If it got an ASDA there that would be a massive one, surely? Have they bought the land there already?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I heard that the Sirocco site was recently reacquired by the Carvill family, who were behind the Carvill Group, the previous owners who went bankrupt.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I've also heard the Carvill's have control of the site again, which I think is a positive development.

I hope Asda is told to sling it's hook elsewhere. The recent decline in 'big stores' and the dominance of the larger retailers in the grocery market might help dampen Asda's enthusiasm for such a massive store, hopefully.

I have no issue with a food store or supermarket being present on the site, as part of a larger mixed-use development, but not a vast superstore with surface car parking.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Yeah there's an underground carpark for the complex. The first apartments will be ready in March 2018 although there are only around 18 left for sale I think.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Yep, they have a sign that confirms it on the site that I saw walking past earler this week. This is still an incredibly slow building site, which given the possible poor quality of the finished article doesn't concern me much.

There was talk upthread of a Connswater or Scirocco Works Asda. At the moment the Consswater tesco is being converted to a large (and it must be very large) furniture shop called Range. I heard that Tesco, and Stewarts before them have a lease that says that another food retailer can't move into the unit, ever, and that there were also restrictions on what could be done with the site, I think demolition was out as well. It seems absurd that such a contract isn't made void when Tesco left the unit never to return.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts