SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,208 Posts
The apostrophies around futuristic are appropriate, so called district heating had it's 'heyday' a few decades ago. I can think of a few examples round Belfast (Shankill, the Markets, Antrim town and a recent one in Lisburn) that were like all Northern Ireland examples eventually ripped out and replaced with oil/ gas etc. Reasonably common in Europe, the results in Britain were patchy- presumably they were all done on the cheap.
I wonder how the heating scheme in this building is powered- I've been reading about schemes such as these:

http://www.renewablesinternational.net/power-to-heat-gets-going-in-germany/150/537/88373/

... and it would be great if the heating in this building was based on a similar concept. Power to heat will be a major factor in the coming decades for transitioning to a low carbon economy. The underfloor heating used too is far more efficient than space heating, these apartments should be lovely to be in over the colder months,

· Registered
3,208 Posts
Looks great but the Dublin Road is a complete mess. Just looked at it today on Streetview and by god is it grim! The new Etap looks like a bunker....

I don't think Dublin Road is too bad, although I think that's mostly because of the large, mature trees which really enhance the street. Over the next decade, hopefully more taller proposals come along to complement ETAP and Gallery and so on. No disagreements with ETAP, it's truly atrocious. Not one window facing out on to the street. Planners must have been hungover when they approved that dungfest.

· Registered
3,208 Posts
Dublin Road could do with some tidying up and improvement
It can wait in the queue behind the top of Great Victoria Street. Such a contrast in streets, only metres apart.

The Gallery has turned into quite the successful little development; all apartments sold, this decent looking cafe, and the building itself is one of the better looking apartment blocks in town.

Dublin Rd has the Emerald.
Special boxes all round!

· Registered
3,208 Posts
Incidentally, my favourite restaurant the All Seasons on Botanic Avenue has shut. Anyone know why? I always thought it was doing a decent trade and was a favourite stop off for local Chinese community and students alike.
Yes, that was the best chinese restaurant in the area. From what i have heard, of the man who ran it, his wife passed away and he unfortunately is ill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.