SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Looks great but the Dublin Road is a complete mess. Just looked at it today on Streetview and by god is it grim! The new Etap looks like a bunker....

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Looks great but the Dublin Road is a complete mess. Just looked at it today on Streetview and by god is it grim! The new Etap looks like a bunker....

I don't think Dublin Road is too bad, although I think that's mostly because of the large, mature trees which really enhance the street. Over the next decade, hopefully more taller proposals come along to complement ETAP and Gallery and so on. No disagreements with ETAP, it's truly atrocious. Not one window facing out on to the street. Planners must have been hungover when they approved that dungfest.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Out of curiosity I had a look at the reviews for it, which are surprising if only for their lack of complaints about the noise from the neighbouring Filthy McNasty's.

Now The Gallery's exterior has been finished, does anyone know how long will the interiors take before they're finished too?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dublin Road always reminds me of Great Victoria Street - It's interesting in how disjointed it can seem, and you just have to give it over to the seemingly random approach to its planning and see where it goes. When the effect seems to be the evolution of a dense, albeit strange, mid-rise urban area, when it's self-contained I quite like it.

Progressing with the demolition of Fanum House and building Novotel (?) would help the whole area - I know it was a phase of what we've already seen with Etap but surely the rest of the plan has long expired?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Progressing with the demolition of Fanum House and building Novotel (?) would help the whole area - I know it was a phase of what we've already seen with Etap but surely the rest of the plan has long expired?
Definitely. Don't know why they haven't already as it's truly awful and just lying there vacant. In which case maybe it's more likely to be refurbished rather than Novotel?

Bruce street needs developed, especially the south side which is all carpark in order to knit Dublin Rd and GVS. A 5-7 storey apartment development with varying heights and finishes so it doesn't look like a big wall would benefit the area greatly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A 5-7 storey apartment development with varying heights and finishes so it doesn't look like a big wall would benefit the area greatly.
That would surely be the right idea in the area, but it doesn't seem to be very in vogue at the moment! I don't think I can remember seeing an application like that here for a few years, but I don't know about other cities.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bruce street needs developed, especially the south side which is all carpark
If I remember correctly that was originally left clear, along with Bankmore Square, and a strip all the way along Ormeau Ave and along behind the Gasworks because it was originally earmarked for the "Belfast Urban Motorway" (would have made a nice acronym ;) ) back in the 60s.

As far as I know that project was killed off many many years ago, but I'm not sure why this land was never built on.

Edit: yup I do remember correctly: http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/belfasturbanmotorway.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
This building obviously dwarfs its immediate neighbours. However, Dublin Road seems a good corridor for mid-rise buildings. It links Queens and the City Centre, is generally pleasant with mature trees, and has a mix of uses. Plus, with one or two exceptions, there's not much of heritage value, so I reckon a lot of it could be gradually rebuilt in the 6-8 storey range. Hopefully the character is preserved, however.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Dublin Road is a perfect location for mid-rise. I imagine the adjacent buildings will be redeveloped in time. The improved density will help connect the city centre with the University area in a much more coherent fashion. Next big project is Shaftesbury Sq.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Small shoe box apartments with about enough room to turn 180 degrees in were never going to be a good idea, and plonked in the middle of Belfast's nightlife area just compounded this development to being just badly thought out. The only thing that really can save this, is more of the properties being bought up and turned high rise and ridding the Dublin road of any nightlife.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts