SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Not exactly selling like hot cakes. Not surprised given the lack of parking spaces.
Parking can be arranged with the Dublin Road multi-storey.

The apartments are overpriced though IMO

At first glance I thought this was the corner facing the Gallery. Does anyone know what the plans are for it. Hopefully it wont be on the market as well in the same state for 20k.
There's an approved application to replace the building that sat on that site. They possibly haven't moved forward yet as the extra space was likely beneficial for the development of The Gallery.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ahh.. makes that Movie house demolition plan even more of a negative impact on the area... Marvellous!
The render for the new office development still has the multistory out the back. Come on what developer in their right mind would ever do away with a multistory in Belfast? I'm convinced car parks make more money in Belfast than any potential building development which is why no one is building on them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They could do a combo multiplier of money making by outfitting each car park with a wood pellet burner! Keeps your car roasty toasty! No more cold steering wheel or seat belts!

#firstWorldProblemSolved

Note: May enrich greedy owners at expense of everybody

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do we know is it a cafe/bar or just a cafe? Not sure that ladder-by-the-door will catch on :nuts:

EDIT: I have answered my own question - it's a cafe-bar. A good looking addition to the area.

My only concern is that the Dublin road appears to have been ear-marked by someone as the new trendy spot with glass and steel offices and clean cut cafes. They appear, for instance, to have bussed a load of affluent people into the Gallery judging by their twitter photos.

I always liked the Dublin Road because it wasn't polished and was Belfast's de facto Chinatown. It has been an extension of the Queen's area for many years rather than an extension of the city centre - I imagine people will understand what I mean by that. All these "fancy" (sterile?) projects will completely change the face of the area and could push a lot of the long established traders into the new fringe district - wherever that may be. The major problem there is that a lot of new steel and glass will be required to fill those voids and I would query whether Belfast has the critical mass for that eventuality. I would love to see an actual designation of a china town as this could be a real draw in itself.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Dublin Road could do with some tidying up and improvement
It can wait in the queue behind the top of Great Victoria Street. Such a contrast in streets, only metres apart.

The Gallery has turned into quite the successful little development; all apartments sold, this decent looking cafe, and the building itself is one of the better looking apartment blocks in town.

Dublin Rd has the Emerald.
Special boxes all round!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd love to see something happen with the old Ulster Bank. Is it still in use by someone? I see lights on and could swear I seen someone at the front desk.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That bar/café looks a bit gaudy and early 2000's to me, and not particularly relaxing or comfortable looking (test being... could you walk in in t-shirt and gutties?), but I agree with the sentiment that the Dublin Road could do with a wee tart and tickle. I can't see that the planned developments will really impact on it's overall 'feel', but can only embellish it.

I always thought Donegal Pass was more Chinatown than Dublin Road
I always wondered if, given the concentration of the Chinese community round the Donegall Pass neck of the woods and it being a de facto Chinatown, whether it could develop a proper chinatown feel complete with paifangs etc.? I suspect some of the more nefarious and neanderthal inhabitants of the Donegall Pass would take umbrage at this though.

Incidentally, my favourite restaurant the All Seasons on Botanic Avenue has shut. Anyone know why? I always thought it was doing a decent trade and was a favourite stop off for local Chinese community and students alike.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Incidentally, my favourite restaurant the All Seasons on Botanic Avenue has shut. Anyone know why? I always thought it was doing a decent trade and was a favourite stop off for local Chinese community and students alike.
Yes, that was the best chinese restaurant in the area. From what i have heard, of the man who ran it, his wife passed away and he unfortunately is ill.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always wondered if, given the concentration of the Chinese community round the Donegall Pass neck of the woods and it being a de facto Chinatown, whether it could develop a proper chinatown feel complete with paifangs etc.?
There was a move one year to have a Chinese new Year celebration, there were Chinese lanterns all down the street, food stalls and a temporary stage.

I'm not sure how the loyalist residents reacted. I didn't hear much though, which is probably then to the positive..

But the same year after were the flag protests, and in that tense atmosphere it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I always wondered if, given the concentration of the Chinese community round the Donegall Pass neck of the woods and it being a de facto Chinatown, whether it could develop a proper chinatown feel complete with paifangs etc.? I suspect some of the more nefarious and neanderthal inhabitants of the Donegall Pass would take umbrage at this though.
Hence why the welfare centre ended up on the embankment / beside holyland. Da Kammunitee did nat want it for til be built in Donegal Pass.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I walked past the Gallery the other day and was shocked to see what it's become, I didn't think the plans for the ground floor were so ambitious, it looks great from the outside anyway and from the pictures I love how they've done it and I think it'll become a favourite for many, but that's just me.

I get people's concerns about changing the tone/culture of the street and I never like to see good food units lost if that would be the result, but the general area has plenty of places and I always saw further south as more of a natural Chinatown. As for extending the city centre that way surely it can only be a good thing? To me Shaftesbury Square is a natural entry to the Queens Quarter so anything done as far as there can only help to join the two together.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hence why the welfare centre ended up on the embankment / beside holyland. Da Kammunitee did nat want it for til be built in Donegal Pass.
Class, I had Red Hand Luke or Big Mervyn from 'Give my Head Peace' in my head when I read that.

I can just see a massive Chinese flag painted over the Union Flag on that gable wall facing toward the Ormeau Road :lol::duck:

81 - 100 of 111 Posts