SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Why on Earth did it take so long for this site to be developed?

·
Registered
425 Posts
With a few trees and greenery added along the traffic lane islands, this would be a great development. Will bring more life to the area, take away that awful looking surface level car park, and add some more height and continuous density to the road. This could also serve as a starting point to cleaning up some of the side streets adjacent to the site.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was thinking about this myself. The ibis hotel doesn't look spectacular but I don't think it looks bad. It just doesn't do enough to lift a very run down area. Hopefully with the addition of this development it will tidy the whole place up and with 1,200 students on their doorstep the local amenities in the area will tidy themselves up too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
See that's one thing with renders; they have these delicately shaded red brick facades in glorious Tron-sunlight... and then in reality with a bit of rain they become these much sterner dark red blobs. Or at least that's a danger. It looks nice, but is useful to look to reality to temper any excessively high hopes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think they should have varied the height a bit, by increasing the corner block bay a few stories and have increased stepping down to the rear - too many buildings in this area are all of similar height (9-13 storeys high)

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about this myself. The ibis hotel doesn't look spectacular but I don't think it looks bad. It just doesn't do enough to lift a very run down area. Hopefully with the addition of this development it will tidy the whole place up and with 1,200 students on their doorstep the local amenities in the area will tidy themselves up too.
I tend to agree, the ibis is not the most beautiful building in Belfast by any stretch but this proposal does look better. I also think this area needs a lot of work, it does have a somewhat 'inhuman' feel IMO and that's down to poor planning decisions, like Castlecourt, and the ring road which does act as a barrier. It does feel like the 'edge' of the city centre, despite being only 5 minutes walk from City Hall, and is a little forgotten and tired looking.

I'm hopeful it'll have a different feel over the coming years.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Planning application (LA04/2015/0419/F) was submitted in May 2015 proposing "a mixed use development to include a 804 bedroom managed student residential building with ground floor shop use class A1. The student development is comprised of welfare facilities, associated ancillary accommodation, external areas to include landscaped courtyards and an enclosed car park. Construction is due to commence, subject to planning approval, late 2015 and be completed by September 2017.
Credit to FutureBelfast

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
They might not need so many rooms if the Brunswick plans go ahead..not that far away and 476 rooms! Plus there's all the proposed student accommodation around the new campus, York Street etc and isnt the old Belfast tech building beside INST going to be for students too?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think they are going down the American route, the rooms will have two beds a desk and en-suite pretty much your standard hotel room.

On a plus side it will give the students less space to have to clean and keep the rent down, students are meant to be poor.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they'll be single rooms, double rooms are still uncommon for UK university students.

I don't see why students need large rooms if I'm being honest if they have outside courtyards and communal space, as well as living in the city centre. Most aren't living there all year and the rooms provided at Elms, for example, aren't particularly spacious either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The rooms at Elms are tiny but you don't feel like you need more. It might be different for international students, though. And as uniguy said you get plenty of communal student space, so it's not the size that would concern me but the number of them. I had forgotten about the old building beside inst, are they really going to fill them all? I suppose they don't need to, really. Either way I like the renders and don't think it'll look too much like the Ibis at all.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They might not need so many rooms if the Brunswick plans go ahead..not that far away and 476 rooms! Plus there's all the proposed student accommodation around the new campus, York Street etc and isnt the old Belfast tech building beside INST going to be for students too?
Queen's has 25,000 students and UU's new Belfast campus may have about 5 or 6000....maybe.

Granted not all of those 30,000 want student accommodation nor need it but I'd say we'd probably end up with around 6-8,000 student beds in purpose-built accom.

I'm just guessing though

·
Banned
467 Posts
Does this mean potentially less demand for student housing on Botanic and Holylands area. A large number of "Culchies" would typically stay here before getting a bus or driving out to Jordanstown. Could mean a demographic shift in that area...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Joins on nicely with the College Sq buildings already at the site, rids us of an unsightly ground floor car-park, and it looks to have more use of glass in comparison to what we have been getting over the last number of years. I like it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts