SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm sure most of you know but this place seems to be open now. I walked past it last night and I saw people at a reception desk.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
How populated was it, could you tell?

(I also lol'd at the "Is it safe?" signature that made me think it was your inner monologue upon seeing it was open)
:lol:

To be honest, I only saw a total of 5 people. 2 People at a reception desk, a young guy sitting on a sofa (on his phone) and two other young people playing table tennis, but it's so much nicer to walk past at night and see a building lit up and two people playing table tennis than to walk by and see a half empty car park.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The Belfast One-Two ambitious thought process

"Build Anything!!! Don't care, it'll be better than what's there!" /
"It's utter wasted that space, lied about its potential, and in a few years will look awful, but it was better than the previous thing... right guys... guys?"

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Oh for goodness sake.

This is a high quality project which is evident with anyone with eyes that has walked past it and had a look.

What exactly is wrong with this building? Setting personal taste aside the quality of this building is rather evident. Are people expecting every new building to be some innovative architectural exemplar? It's a decent building, built to a high standard and vastly better than the waste ground that existing prior to construction. I'd say most people would be in agreement with that...no?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I think some people are just trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary....
Look, I think the blocky sort of nature to the building and the small windows could perhaps looked quite dated in 15-20 years and it might have looked better in red flemish (or just stretcher bond) bond brickwork, but overall it's high quality with good street interaction and plenty of active ground floor frontages. It's no work of art and probably won't last 100 years, but then students and Universities probably won't exist in 100 years time - the machines will have taken over or human brains will be able to download intelligence instantaneously or something mad like that *Neuralink*

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
{puts hand up to clarify}

I was just commentating on the wider issue of the 'Belfast switcheroo' whereby developers hoodwink the backwater BCC. Whoever is in the planning dept is having circles run round them with the proposals, revisions, and mundane final products from very clever and slick salespeople.

My own thoughts were not "1980's", or indeed much else. It's acceptable. Which is exactly what developers want to hear by the way when they come to Belfast with money to invest. Means they can keep more of it instead of spending it on the building itself to make it amazing.

The only emotion that I feel is apprehension about how busy it is and ends up being.
Yes yes uni delay, but you're in the heart of Belfast... with bus links to Jordanstown... why AREN'T they fully opened and being filled now? UU students are hardly all living out there, huddled around the old hulk of the J-town campus, and plenty must be commuting in to get a bus straight out...

I just find it odd that if they're going to sit empty for another year, then they must have had deep pockets. And for those not inspired by the finished product {an acceptable state of affairs} it just means money was left on the table that could have gone into something more 'wow'-y. Instead, it's gone and for some it's been a wasted opportunity

{/devil's advocate}

61 - 80 of 87 Posts