Contractor:
Floor space: 590 ensuite rooms / 104 studios / 3 retail units
Height: 34 - 46m
Cost:

Images courtesy of Like Architects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Looks really well. Both proposals shown there are superior to a lot of the apartments that have been thrown up in the last ten years.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It looks well. Will they need install barriers around the footpath given how busy that road is? I wonder if they would consider installing some sort of footbridge rather than rely on a pedestrian crossing, like they did between the two main campus's.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Dunbar might see some public realm work given new development. Belfast City Council have previously said they'd like to transform it into an avenue or boulevard, to include better crossings and planting. Maybe all these new development will push that plan along.

Better crossings and a tree planted median would make a big difference to an otherwise inhospitable road.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think Dunbar might see some public realm work given new development. Belfast City Council have previously said they'd like to transform it into an avenue or boulevard, to include better crossings and planting. Maybe all these new development will push that plan along.

Better crossings and a tree planted median would make a big difference to an otherwise inhospitable road.
Would def be good to see, find it a little strange that the proposals for Frederick St are seeking to remove central section. Some of the great European boulevards (Andrassy Ut in Budapest for example) have sections of tree lined central reserve you can walk along.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is that building in the background the same as the one in the other thread posted today?

Designs looking a bit samey, though the cream coloured building has enough 'edge' to make it stand out, especially since it isn't going to be a (disappointing) red/brown brick building essentially as the other two seem to be.

Yeah, I guess just jaded as a few proposals have resembled that far buliding and it won't look brilliant if that becomes the de facto template

Still, yay for replacing the nonsense and emptyness that currently litters the centre

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Is that building in the background the same as the one in the other thread posted today?
It is indeed!

Designs looking a bit samey, though the cream coloured building has enough 'edge' to make it stand out, especially since it isn't going to be a (disappointing) red/brown brick building essentially as the other two seem to be.

Yeah, I guess just jaded as a few proposals have resembled that far buliding and it won't look brilliant if that becomes the de facto template

Still, yay for replacing the nonsense and emptyness that currently litters the centre
I think originally this proposal had the red brick design... i wonder if they went with cream not only to provide some variation, but also because it appears to match the bit of the University that is currently being finished.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the initial design was red brick also. They are the same architects so I think that's where a lot of the sameness comes through. I think they could both look well though, especially if the brick is high quality. Red brick is the traditional vernacular in this area so maybe that's why they've opted for it. Personally I'd rather have the red brick than rendered walls a la Titanic Quarter, I agree though that too much red brick would begin to look a bit repetitive and uninspiring.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Really liking the latest images, particularly the first one. With the proposal for the plot on York street to the left of this one of similar height too, York street will be an impressive entrance to the city centre.

Rather it would be, if that section of street wasn't all one way out of the city centre lol.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the minute it feels detached from the city centre but the campus, lots of people, and all these new buildings as well as Streets Ahead will I hope extend the city centre. It's good these student developments are including street level shop and cafe units. Dunbar Link is obviously a 'break' in that continuity but perhaps that can be addressed as well.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Sweet Jesus, that's absolutely terrible. Needs more colour, needs more contrast, needs more material variation. Nasty, but otherwise good to see more redevelopment.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If it matches the material in the University frontage then it'll be ok.

The architects were saying they too were relying on the Streets Ahead project to 'finish' the building off with the pavements and lighting all upgraded and swanked up. It will help all buildings, not just the uni, so perhaps this will look very reasonable when its upgraded environs are taken into account

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I hope so, I might send them an email and ask whether this part of York Street could be considered.

I disagree with you Plank, I like it, it has good form and as student accommodation goes it's one of the better ones. I like the restoration of urban density in this part of the city and the massing is good so far, We need more building on this sort of scale built on the vacant city centre sites. Restoration of urban fabric is desperately needed in Belfast.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts