SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I guess with 3 sites in the area already at various stages of construction, there is no pressing need to get moving on this one given the delays to the university.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Yep, it's pretty terrible, and the design for the corner site building is probably even worse IMO.....

So pretty sure we'll be tearing all these structures down in 30-40 years time, just like we're tearing down the 60s and 70s stuff now. Can't see them lasting tbh. Only hope is that in the future these buildings could be converted to resi or offices, but I expect the floorplates don't allow for that :-(

Also I can't see where all the demand for student resi in Belfast is coming from? Can't see many Northern Irish students paying 500 pcm for a wee 20sqm box on York St when you can rent an entire 2/3 property for that price down the road.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Also I can't see where all the demand for student resi in Belfast is coming from? Can't see many Northern Irish students paying 500 pcm for a wee 20sqm box on York St when you can rent an entire 2/3 property for that price down the road.
Hardly any of the residents will be local. The demand will come from Middle Eastern and East Asian students who are already paying a fortune for tuition fees.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Apart from the international student element i can't seem to work out the economics of the flat pricing without a sustained student clearance / HMO enforcement in Holylands and Lower Lisburn Road.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I was in the red brick one a few weeks ago and it was really empty. I assume this cluster will need UU to be completed before it fills up but to me it looks like they will have their work cut out getting these filled.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yea its great to have it built, but prices will have to drop, they've transplanted English pricing models for their demand structure to here.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's better in the flesh but the blank wall is awful. Hopefully that adjoining site is developed over the coming years!

In fairness, these student builds are much better quality than the usual plastic crap being thrown up across GB. I also agree with phillips on the bulk/density aspect. This is exactly the sort of density this area needs and it'll help sustain future developments in the future.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
I can't see them all being torn down in just 30-40 years time. I also think the red brick building looks better in reality, apart from the blank east-facing wall, but I imagine the old buildings there being replaced/developed in the future as well.

The rumour I heard was that some rooms in these developments were going to be let to immigrants etc.; there seem to be too many for just students.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts