Contractor:
Floor space: 108 units
Height: 16 Floors / 54m
Cost: £12,000,000

Images courtesy of Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and info from FutureBelfast

·
reach for the skies
764 Posts
Didn't they set up a new senior management team recently to speed up the planning process? Maybe it's a christmas miracle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Have been wary of other projects being waved through, so it'd be wrong to cheerlead this and hope it bolts through planning but.... if it somehow does I wouldn't be sad.

Little surprised at how long it'd take to build - or maybe it's been such a long time since we've seen a tall development like this that I've forgotten how long these thigns take?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"Aimed at the ‘millennial’ generation the proposed 19 storey development on Academy Street in the Cathedral Quarter is set to add much-needed residential accommodation to the city centre."
Good to see another article echoing my thoughts on another aspect of Belfast [/self-aggrandising]

That side shot of it - hadn't seen it before but it looks decent, though suggests those previous CG renders were economical with the true finish of the building - I thought you'd posted another buliding randomly! It won't be all white, but a mix of many colours then?

Mr Best believes the development will help support Belfast City Council’s ambition to increase city centre living, and create 37,000 new homes by 2035.
So only another 36,895 to go!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That side shot of it - hadn't seen it before but it looks decent, though suggests those previous CG renders were economical with the true finish of the building - I thought you'd posted another buliding randomly! It won't be all white, but a mix of many colours then?
I think the old design had the all white side, however, the new one was definitely grey, but obviously not large enough to show the various colours of the brick.

Definitely looks well though, reminiscent of some of the better stuff going up in Manchester, eg

·
Read Only
2 Posts
FCB have designed quite a few projects under construction in Manchester, namely Circle Square. They are a favourite of mine and the tower above is stunning.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
FCB have designed quite a few projects under construction in Manchester, namely Circle Square.
Been taking a part time degree at Manchester Uni and I stay in the Ibis beside that site- the pace it is being developed at is quite something. Really looking forward to seeing it finished, the central park area with the buildings around it will look stunning.

Hoping for more FCB projects over here in the future.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I like the angled windows on the apartments - really good idea and adds a great dynamic element to the face with shadows and sun throughout the year and time of day.

It's certainly looking better, and hats off to the architects for clearly referencing the MAC in their choice of facade and materials. IWell, I mean, red brick isn't a novel material but nice that they seem to have gone with something that has texture to it.

The folks behind the (original and I imagine this) design were really cool to chat with and with them already responsible for some (all?) of the UU I have to say I really hope they get given more chances. hopefully though in less confined spaces - the limit of the tiny building on one side necessitating the 'blank' wall that I think may be a surprise to some

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
necessitating the 'blank' wall that I think may be a surprise to some
Yes, it will be interesting to see how the blank wall turns out. Looking at the plans, it will have the same gold pattern we see on the Exchange street elevation, but instead of windows, there will be a 'perforated aluminium backing plate'.

·
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, it will be interesting to see how the blank wall turns out. Looking at the plans, it will have the same gold pattern we see on the Exchange street elevation, but instead of windows, there will be a 'perforated aluminium backing plate'.
Wasn't expecting that! Actually looks rather decent.

It'll make a change from a blank wall of brick or render!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's so strange how the lighting changes on the render. There it's white again.

While I'll always miss their first design, this design is growing on me. Which is a nice feeling to have

1 - 20 of 80 Posts