SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
According to Lacuna, construction was meant to start in March but the Historic Environment Division (HED) aren't happy with it, so I'm not sure what's going to happen?

14 May 2018 -
HED Historic Buildings considers the proposals as presented fail to satisfy 6.12/Development proposals impacting on Setting of Listed Buildings of the Strategic Planning Policy Statement for Northern Ireland (SPPS): Planning for Sustainable Development and with respect to Policy BH11/Development affecting the Setting of a Listed Building of the Department's Planning Policy Statement 6: Planning, Archaeology and the Built Heritage.

The Listed Buildings affected are:

HB26/50/318 Belfast Education & Library Board, 40-62 Academy Street, Belfast Grade B2
HB26/50/067 The Cathedral Church of St Anne, Donegall Street, Belfast Grade

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Looks different, but it's sad they're losing the striking steeped profile (very PS2 reto chic).

The close ups don't load - but really hoping that's some kind of copper inlay in each fin - that would actually be quite cool

·
22,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Eugh! That planning site wrecks me.

It’s copper/bronze angled aluminium panels with glass and hand laid light brick. I preferred the second design, though this is still nice and high quality, but this refined proposal offers improved living space and balconies for residents.

It’ll be a welcome addition to the area.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
1 beds are around 52 sqm, 2 beds about 70 sqm. Not huge flats by any means, but definitely there to serve a market. In context, Portland 88 is about 61 sqm for a 1 bed, 71 sqm for a 2 bed. Although there are 1 beds at 71 sqm.
Building height is about 54 metres.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Really like these architects work - they were agonising over the reverse aspect, and they've given it a great look. Reflects (literally!) the front with its shininess - notice they didn't compromise with the building directly in front of it (ie making the obscured parts simple material/design).

Wish they could have convinced the client to keep the profile - ultimately I'm sure they've done the usual thing when faced with expert advice, and simply overruled it for money which must be frustrating.

What is also sad about losing the stepped look is it somehwat breaks the relationship with the uni - at the talk they said that they were paying homage to the overhang and levelled design of the uni (which they also designed). Losing link that must have been tough for the designers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in a 1 bed apartment that is 72 sqm with a communal swimming pool and it feels like a slave box.

52 sqm sounds like the perfect dimensions for a incel training pen.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"Careful Ted, you'll trigger someone with that language"
It is small but may be suited for a week day only abode. Doesn't bode (pun!) well for adding to the night life but maybe they'll be forced to go out and have a good time because of how small it is! Japanese thinking? (Taps side of head)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The 1 bed is scarily small....

The 69 sqm 2 bed would be fine for a young couple or a single person sharing with a friend perhaps....

21 - 40 of 75 Posts