SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Good news for the area but still wish they'd revert to the stepped design. All we need now is CQ3 to get the go ahead and the RE tower approved and that part of town will have a decent skyline.

I see Future Belfast got a mention in the Telegraph article, too.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think BUG said BelfastGary pulled the BelTel for copying and pasting from his site without referencing it, which is fair enough. A lot of modern journalist copy and paste half their articles these days. Usually just copying and pasting some garbage off a recent twitter spat.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know people have removed Banksy murals before but how do you remove a mural from an entire gable wall without the build collapsing or destroy the mural in the process?

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They may still have plans to move the murals. If they were going to knock them they could have just flattened the building.

I'm still hopeful they plan to move them. How that happens I've no idea and I imagine it's not a cheap process so who knows..

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Was speaking to Adam a while back and he was under the impression that the developer has no intention of moving / keeping it. Developer might possibly commission Dan Kitchener for something else. Total shame as that piece is quite famous now.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Amazingly he did it free of charge for Hit The North 17. Think it took him 10 hours to do or something, complely free hand and no stencils. Always see people snapping away at it.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The developer stated they would try to remove it and use it in one of their developments.

Removing a mural is an incredibly expensive and labour intensive process. Was reading about how some Banksy murals were moved and it’s a phenomenally complicated process. I’d be surprised if they do retain it after reading about the process.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Really good to see this site go for high density residential and construction start.

Hopefully someone can force the Education Authority to sell their surface carpark for residential aswell. It's just so ugly seeing a surface carpark when there should be a really high quality corner building in its place with ground floor retail units and then make Academy St a shared space with cobbles laid. Site must be worth a few bob... crazy they're keeping it just so the chiefs in the EA can park their cars for free.

Probably remove the walls around the Cathedral carpark, remove the parking and make it all open from Academy St, Exchange St. Could be an amazing public space.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Anyone know if this is still going ahead? Site was cleared a while ago but haven't seen much activity on it lately.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Just noticed today that a revised planning application was submitted for this site.

Opened the design and access statement and saw the name 'Manson' on the first page. They being the firm responsible for the hideous proposal at Botanic Link.

Fearing the worst, it was a relief to find out the application is only for minor amendments to some balconies and the rooftop terrace.

I don't see it listed for the planning committee this week, so it looks like it will be a few months yet before anything gets underway here.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts