Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
300 bikes in 30 stands across the city. What locations in the city centre would you have bikes stands?

My locations:

City Hall
Titanic Belfast
Odyssey Arena
Victoria Square
Central Station
Queens University outside the students Union
St Annes Square
Ormeau Park
Botanic Gardens
Waterfront Hall
Custom House Square
Gasworks
Clarendon Dock
Belfast Met @ Titanic Quarter
City Hospital
Royal Avenue outside Castlecourt
Dublin Road beside Movie House Cinema
Square opposite the Merchant Hotel
Cutters Wharf

'Boris bikes' scheme for Belfast

Belfast is to get its own 'Boris bike' scheme, it has been announced.

£700,000 is being awarded by the Department of Regional Development for the plan.

It will see a public bike hire scheme in the city for locals and visitors similar to the ones in Dublin and London, where the cycles have been nicknamed Boris bikes after mayor Boris Johnston.

There will be 300 bikes in 30 stands across the city.

In total the DRD is giving £4.3m to four projects designed to encourage people to walk and cycle more.

The Belfast scheme will be up and running within three years.

Craigavon gets £1.3m to improve its existing cycleways.

Londonderry gets a similar amount to create new greenways linking schools, businesses and residential areas.

Thirteen councils applied for the grant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19165283

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm pleased Craigavon is getting their cyclepaths tidied up, just a pity so few people live there to make use of them. If you've never seen that network in person, take my word for it they were very ambitious for the time- there's at least a dozen costly overpasses & bridges, and one of the paths is as wide as a road. I shouldn't think there's anywhere in Ireland that has such a large and costly system of cycle routes than Craigavon.

I have to say I was initially dubious of the Belfast cycle hire scheme, it is such a small city. But if this system is cheap to install then I don't really see the harm in it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They need to attract a sponsor to make the scheme financially viable.

In London the bikes are sponsored by Barclays and in Dublin they are sponsored by JCDecaux.

If we could get the likes of BT to sponsor the scheme it would be good.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Ulster Bank as a sponsor?

My Locations:
Queens Elms
Botanic Gardens
Queens Uni
City Hospital
Shaftsbury Sq/Botanic Train station
Europa (Buscentre/Train station)
City Hall
St Annes Sq/Ulster Uni
Smithfield Market/CastleCourt
Custom House Sq
Odyssey/MET College/Titanic Museum
WaterFront Hall/Central Station
Ormeau Park
Cutters Wharf
Victoria Sq
Top of Tates Avenue
Adelaide St Station
Kings Hall
Ormeau Bridge
Titanic Pump House
Gasworks
Clarendon Dock

I'm short on 30 locations. Might stretch whole way up ormeau rd to forestside?

But they really need to be close together, as with London I have cycled to a docking station and found that there were no spaces and had to cycle back on myself. Can't imagine too many stations on the far side of the west link or Yorkgate. I've not seen any bikes that have been vandalised in London but belfast is a different story. Benefits of the bikes are that after a night out, if you are in a relatively good condition, you could cycle home.

·
22,438 Posts
^^

Vandalism is what worries me slightly. The bike stations would need to be well lit and covered by cameras IMO.

Vandalism will always happen, I've seen it in London, Paris and Dublin but Belfast might suffer more, I hope I'm wrong though.

As for the sponsor JCDecaux may be interested as it gives them advertising locations.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There were big concerns about vandalism in Dublin before the Dublin bikes scheme was introduced, and I was a bit dubious about it myself, but it's been a huge success and the bikes are never vandalised. The way the bikes are designed actually makes them difficult to vandalise by idiots and as far as I can remember only one of the bikes ever went missing, and was recovered a short time later. Overall a huge success and they are much loved by Dubliners and the scheme is way over subscribed! So of course they will work in Belfast too. My only criticism is of some of the cyclists themselves - you often see them coming straight at you going in the wrong direction down one way streets. They add a lovely continental feel to the place too. Great schemes for small to medium sized cities.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
^^

Vandalism will always happen, I've seen it in London, Paris and Dublin but Belfast might suffer more, I hope I'm wrong though.

No, I don't think so at all. Some of the stands in Dublin and London are in pretty dubious locations themselves but to my knowledge it's a great success as Viking says - never heard of vandalism myself.

The scheme in Paris was what had people worried. For some reason vandalism and theft was a big issue there. But it worked fine when it arrived here.

·
22,438 Posts
Belfast City Council moving this forward. They held an event last week seeking to secure a sponsor.

Belfast Public Bike Share Scheme Bidders’ Day

Date: 12 Nov 2013
Time: 11am - 2pm
Venue: Reception Hall, Belfast City Hall

We’ve secured funding from the Department for Regional Development’s (DRD) Active Travel Demonstration Projects fund towards setting up a Belfast Public Bike Share Scheme. Our pilot scheme, providing up to 300 bikes and up to 30 docking stations in city centre locations, should be operational from March 2015.

During November we will be advertising tendering opportunities for the supply and operation and sponsorship of the bike scheme. Our bidders’ day event will provide an opportunity for interested business representatives to hear about our bike scheme plans, ask questions and learn about the procurement opportunity involved in it.

Registration for the bidder’s day is essential as places are limited. To register to take part please email [email protected]

To register an interest in the tender itself, go to http://www.e-sourcingni.bravosoloution.co.uk/
Belfast City Council is inviting Expressions of Interest for the naming rights and advertising opportunities in relation to its Public Hire Bike Scheme which is set to be launched by the beginning of 2015.

The council is leading the development of the high profile active travel project for Belfast, which puts cycling at the heart of the city as a local transport solution. The aim is to develop a system that is accessible to residents, commuters, visitors and tourists to the city.

The council secured support funding from the Department for Regional Development to develop Phase One of the Public Bike Hire Scheme to cover the main city centre area with up to 30 docking stations and 300 bikes for hire.

There is a demand to expand the scheme beyond the city centre boundary and phased expansion will be considered in conjunction with securing further resources.

The sponsorship contract will allow naming rights to the bike scheme and advertising and branding on the bicycles, website and at bike hire stations. This approach has been successfully adopted in similar schemes across other major cities including Barclays Bikes in London and CITI Bikes in New York.

It is proposed that the income from sponsorship and advertising arrangements will support the running costs of the public bike hire scheme and contribute to any future expansion of the scheme.

Typically, the contracts will last from between three and five years and the deadline to submit an Expression of Interest is the 30 August 2013. Tobacco, alcohol and politically motivated sponsors are excluded from applying.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm delighted to see Belfast move forward with developing a scheme like this. Dublin has been transformed by this project and in the depths of the recession in 2009 it was the one bright spot of progress in our city to see thousands of people zipping around on bikes. We're currently seeing the first major expansion of the scheme with about 20 new stations to be open by Christmas so it's good to see it getting out to other parts of the island. Limerick, Cork and Galway should all have bike rental schemes sometime next year year so it'd be great to see Belfast join them the year after next.

·
22,438 Posts
Public bike-hire scheme should be operational by next spring

The project - seen as Belfast's answer to London "Boris bikes" - will see 30 docking stations put in place at Central Station, the Odyssey, Millfield, Carrickhill, the Gasworks and Dunbar Link, with installation work due to begin next month.

Fees have also been agreed, with users offered the choice of paying a £20 annual subscription or opting for the three-day casual use pass for £5.

Transport minister, Danny Kennedy, whose department has contributed more than £1 million towards the new scheme, said the charges were competitive.

He said: "As 'pedal power' continues to grow here, we must all harness the momentum and continue to develop each opportunity to make cycling an everyday, safe, accessible and fun activity for all.

"Charges for the bike hire scheme are very competitive and I am confident it will provide an attractive, sustainable and inexpensive transport system for local people and visitors."

Earlier this year, the Council appointed NSL to deliver and maintain the scheme, with Nextbike providing the bicycle infrastructure and management system.

Belfast city councillor Deirdre Hargey said: "These charges are similar to rates in other cities and have been set at this level to make the scheme as affordable as possible to as many people as possible, as well as to encourage people to make short trips by bike around the city - with the obvious health benefits which this brings, both to the individual and in terms of reducing pollution levels in the city."

·
22,438 Posts
Seems Coca Cola Zero have been selected as sponsor, same as in Dublin and Cork,.....jesus wept.

Ah well....

We've just announced Coca-Cola Zero as sponsors for the new ‪#‎belfastbikeshare‬ - the city's first public bike share scheme.

The sponsorship deal is worth £300,000 over three years. Due to start in April, the scheme will be operated by NSL Services and the first phase will use 300 cycles and 30 docking stations positioned across the city centre - from the Odyssey Arena to Bradbury Place, from Millfield to Central Station and the Gasworks.

Find out more about the scheme here, including info on hire charges: www.belfastcity.gov.uk/bikeshare

·
22,438 Posts
Is there an actual start date for the scheme?
I'd have thought that they would have started installing the docks already.
I think they'll start installation in the coming weeks. Remember they need to prep sites with electricity and possibly telecommunications so the systems work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
An update email on Belfast Bikes

Coca-Cola Zero Belfast Bikes update

Thank you for registering your interest in the Belfast public bike share scheme. We’re now very happy to let you know that the Coca-Cola Zero Belfast Bikes will go live in April.

In just a few weeks, you’ll be able to hire one of the 300 public bikes from any of the 30 docking stations across the city centre area.

Registration

Membership of the Coca-Cola Zero Belfast Bikes scheme costs just £20 a year and cycle hire is FREE for the first 30 minutes, with small incremental charges after that, charged directly to a debit or credit card. For visitors and tourists, there is a three day membership which costs just £5.

Before you can use the scheme, you must first register your details using a valid debit or credit card at www.belfastbikes.co.uk or by calling the hotline 03433 571551.

Once you’ve registered, renting a bike is easy, using one of the 30 station kiosks, by using the Nextbike mobile app or by calling the hotline.

About the scheme

Bike share is a convenient, affordable and fast way to get across the city. Docking stations are located beside the main city centre bus and train stations and near to shops, restaurants and city attractions.

You might spot the installation engineering teams when you’re out and about in the next few weeks. There are also some clues already visible near most of the bike dock locations.

This is the first phase of the scheme and in the future we hope to extend it into surrounding areas outside the city centre boundary.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the club, Belfast! While it's a bit disconcerting seeing Coke Zero sponsor all our bike rental schemes it's great that not only Dublin but Belfast, Cork, Limerick and Galway have bike rental schemes as well. Too bad it's the most expensive scheme on the island. £20, especially with QE in the euro area, is a lot pricier than the €20 for Dublin and the €10 in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts