SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand by the looks of it, it will mainly be funded by the government but that looks like its still in design stages and it also backdated to before 2012

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well knowing Translink it'll be late and the locks on the toilet doors won't work.

I hope this happens but the station is only needed if they are going to have decent services to supply it. I understand it'll need another platform as it only has 4 tracks so an extra 2 would of been needed so plan for 4 more.

Bangor currently gets 297 train journeys a week yet the coleraine line only gets 147 if though the coleraine line has a far greater catchment area and even less services to Londonderry.

And a new enterprise service, sub 2 hrs journey and more frequent.

Also later services. Translink always encourages people to come into Belfast for dinner or drinks but the last train/bus is 23.15 going to obviously Bangor. So if you don't live in Bangor you'll have to leave the restaurant after your starter to get the last service home. If I could afford to live in Templepatrick I would as it is serviced by the Airbus 24/7

·
Registered
467 Posts
Also makes Central station a little bit redundant.

When they were building the west link a tunnel should of been built at the same time so that the train from antrim would go straight from yorkgate to europa.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well knowing Translink it'll be late and the locks on the toilet doors won't work.

I hope this happens but the station is only needed if they are going to have decent services to supply it. I understand it'll need another platform as it only has 4 tracks so an extra 2 would of been needed so plan for 4 more.

Bangor currently gets 297 train journeys a week yet the coleraine line only gets 147 if though the coleraine line has a far greater catchment area and even less services to Londonderry.

And a new enterprise service, sub 2 hrs journey and more frequent.

Also later services. Translink always encourages people to come into Belfast for dinner or drinks but the last train/bus is 23.15 going to obviously Bangor. So if you don't live in Bangor you'll have to leave the restaurant after your starter to get the last service home. If I could afford to live in Templepatrick I would as it is serviced by the Airbus 24/7
The reason Bangor gets such a majority of trains is just because of demand really! And Bangor is a fair bit larger than colreine(sry can't spell it right) so there generally is need for more trains. But I agree that Londonderry could use a complete ramp up on services

·
COYS
1,702 Posts
Hopefully the govt looks into helping fund this quite a bit as we aren't going to see any benefit from HS1/2. It's only fair, especially as Great Vic street is in major need of a revamp, fast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
TBH IMO NI's entire train line need to be redone completely. They need to finalise plans for Belfast's "rapid transit" system pretty soon. I was going through belfast earlier and it took us three hours to get to ards from the west link. They should also redo a lot of the old railway lines and use them. Also start up new stations in ards, ballynahinch, cookstown and maybe enniskillen but I'm not entirely sure if enniskillen has one already but I don't believe it has

·
22,009 Posts
Btw belfastuniguy cuz of the name I'm guessin ur in uni so which one? Queens?
I was at Queen's years ago. You can't change your username so I'm stuck with it. However, luckily I now work for Queen's so it still applies :lol:

In regard to the hub, looking forward to seeing what the design team announce.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was at Queen's years ago. You can't change your username so I'm stuck with it. However, luckily I now work for Queen's so it still applies :lol:

In regard to the hub, looking forward to seeing what the design team announce.
Cool! What course/courses did you take? Are ya teaching at queens or research?

·
Registered
50 Posts
TBH IMO NI's entire train line need to be redone completely. They need to finalise plans for Belfast's "rapid transit" system pretty soon. I was going through belfast earlier and it took us three hours to get to ards from the west link. They should also redo a lot of the old railway lines and use them. Also start up new stations in ards, ballynahinch, cookstown and maybe enniskillen but I'm not entirely sure if enniskillen has one already but I don't believe it has
I'm from Enniskillen, and no we don't have a railway, unfortunately :/ Would love to see them inject serious amounts of cash into the whole railway, the bus from Enniskillen to Belfast (although frequent) is an extremely crappy journey until you get to the M1, a direct railway line stopping in the big towns to Belfast would do wonders for all of Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm from Enniskillen, and no we don't have a railway, unfortunately :/ Would love to see them inject serious amounts of cash into the whole railway, the bus from Enniskillen to Belfast (although frequent) is an extremely crappy journey until you get to the M1, a direct railway line stopping in the big towns to Belfast would do wonders for all of Northern Ireland.
Yea. I don't see much chance of a railing down to ballywalter.......

·
Registered
33 Posts
The reason Bangor gets such a majority of trains is just because of demand really! And Bangor is a fair bit larger than colreine(sry can't spell it right) so there generally is need for more trains. But I agree that Londonderry could use a complete ramp up on services
I understand the main reason Bangor gets so many servies (this is true also of Portadown and Larne) is because there is a double track railway, so that the capacity is high enough for a very frequent service in both directions.

The line to Londonderry is single-track, which really reduces the ability to offer frequent services. One of the most important investments would be to double track the line as far as Ballymena to begin with.

By the way another hub that is possible is at the University Ulster Belfast: there are plans for a railway station near the GPO building. It would provide access to the Cathedral Quarter for people coming in from the northern lines.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I understand the main reason Bangor gets so many servies (this is true also of Portadown and Larne) is because there is a double track railway, so that the capacity is high enough for a very frequent service in both directions.

The line to Londonderry is single-track, which really reduces the ability to offer frequent services. One of the most important investments would be to double track the line as far as Ballymena to begin with.

By the way another hub that is possible is at the University Ulster Belfast: there are plans for a railway station near the GPO building. It would provide access to the Cathedral Quarter for people coming in from the northern lines.

Its the single track at Mossley west is the problem. As for demand....County Antrim is bigger than bigger yet gets the worst service.

New station at GPO would be great if service improves

·
22,009 Posts
£3m European funding for 'hub'

Almost £3 million European funding has been allocated to help create a transport hub in Belfast and provide a high-quality connection with the Republic. Service improvements to rail transport between the city and Dublin will make doing business between the jurisdictions more efficient, according to regional development minister Danny Kennedy.

European Commission funding worth £2.8 million will be used to take forward a technical development study.

Mr Kennedy said: "I am confident that 'the hub' will transform public transport in Belfast and provide a high quality connection to our neighbouring member state in the Republic of Ireland. "The implications of this project are immense, with wide-ranging economic, social and environmental benefits."

The development is set to be located on a 20-acre site at the existing Europa bus centre and Great Victoria Street train station in Belfast's city centre.

Around seven million people use these facilities each year and that is estimated to increase to around 13 million passengers by 2030, Mr Kennedy's department said.

The minister added: "Today is an important milestone in the delivery of a new transport hub for Belfast following my successful £2.8 million bid to the European Commission."

He said: "Service improvements on the primary rail transport corridor between Belfast and Dublin will mean more people will be empowered to do more business, more efficiently and more often.

"This development, in one of Belfast's most socially deprived areas, will offer employment and mobility opportunities to local people while the positive environmental impacts of increasing Northern Ireland's public transport footprint will benefit everyone through lower emissions and improvements to air quality."

Integrated design consultants have been appointed to prepare a master plan and take forward the preferred design solution. Initial concept designs are expected to be ready by the end of this year, according to Translink's website.

Construction is expected to commence in 2016/17 subject to securing the appropriate funding and planning permissions.

·
22,009 Posts
Translink seek opinions on Great Victoria Street hub

Translink is consulting the public on proposals for a new transport hub in Belfast city centre.

The planned hub, which is still at the consultation stage, will be at the Europa Buscentre/Great Victoria Street railway station. The two stations are the busiest in Belfast, with about seven million passengers a year passing through them. It is expected that figure will rise to 13 million in the next 15 years.

Arup, the global design and engineering firm who restored London's King's Cross station, has been appointed as designers.

The site would cover 20 acres from the stations to the Royal Victoria hospital.

Half of that would be used for an integrated transport hub and the other half would be open to commercial development.

Ciaran Rogan of Translink has invited the public to contribute ideas to aid the design of the new hub. "There has been railway activity at this landmark site for a very long time," he said. "We want people to come and tell us their stories and what it's meant to them over the past to see if we can incorporate it into any designs."

Cross-border traffic from the Republic of Ireland is expected to increase as the Enterprise rail service from Belfast to Dublin would move to the new building. Moving the cross-border service from its current base at Belfast Central station would decrease journey times by 10 minutes, it has been estimated.

Mr Rogan believes that the new hub would also bring an economic benefit to Belfast and Northern Ireland. "We would expect there to be fairly substantial economic regeneration," he said. "When you build a transport the opportunity is there for it to be a real catalyst of development and we would expect to see a lot of jobs created."

http://www.translink.co.uk/thehub

1 - 20 of 240 Posts