SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Looks like a fancy Tesco or M&S store, just bland and uninspiring. Perhaps I'm being too critical (?), but I was kinda hoping for something with a bit more flair...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not bad - anyone spot Britney ordering a smoothie in the side outlet?

Yeah as with every plan for Belfast, it does over estimate the population density...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I quite like it. The concourse looks quite European. Having been to Bruges, Lyon and Düsseldorf lately, they all have this plaza/concourse set up.

Yeah as with every plan for Belfast, it does over estimate the population density...
You say that, but it's not like it's is a hamlet. In any case this is to ship folk in from the surrounding metropolitan/provincial areas so the density of the city itself is a fairly moot point and coming down East Bridge Street in the morning there are a swarm of commuters tooling out of Central Station creating a bottleneck at the entrance and pedestrian crossing. Add to this the tourists coming up from Dublin as well as the bus commuters and I think it should be serviceable enough with a few reasonably well placed kiosks/eateries.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The Chinese would complete in 5 months. I guess the Ulster University will be around 5 years from start to finish. Maybe they are trying to be realistic.
It does seem very slow. As it is all being built offsite from the current bus station and even the railway lines, it seems a bit excessive.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Can this still go ahead without Stormont....?

Seriously wish they had of put the bus stands and the associated bus maintenance facilities underneath the terminal - would have freed up a lot of land.

Also this will look ridiculous...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
^^

Yep. It's infuriating we have to work around that. Spend a bit more and move the exchange to a new building nearby. Always half measures in this place.

Hopefully it's something that will be done in the future. There will be a lot of free land once the new hub is open.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
^^

Yep. It's infuriating we have to work around that. Spend a bit more and move the exchange to a new building nearby. Always half measures in this place.

Hopefully it's something that will be done in the future. There will be a lot of free land once the new hub is open.
It's just ridiculous looking....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah the video at eye level really shows how much of an eye sore this building will be.

I think the nature of the building will make it next to impossible to move ever, otherwise they would do it as part of this development.

Something needs to be done to radically improve its appearance though and somehow make it complement the new transport hub.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah the video at eye level really shows how much of an eye sore this building will be.

I think the nature of the building will make it next to impossible to move ever, otherwise they would do it as part of this development.

Something needs to be done to radically improve its appearance though and somehow make it complement the new transport hub.
I can only imagine there is a lot of key telephone/ communication infrastructure located there. But does make you wonder given the size of the overall site, they couldn't think of a better workaround....

·
22,043 Posts
The aim is to reclad the building and tidy up the surrounding area so it looks a lot better than it does currently. Translink also mentioned some planted walls to try and hide the sides adjacent to the entrance and square.

Translink don't own that site and if BT are unwilling to move the Exchange then there's not a lot Translink can do. I'd be surprised if discussions had not taken place between BT and Translink prior to the plan being submitted.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
But does make you wonder given the size of the overall site, they couldn't think of a better workaround....
Was wondering that myself actually. I'm guessing they were constrained by Durham Street, but I suppose they could have built the station above Durham Street and then had the main terminalk entrance facing onto a fully pedestrianised Glengall Street with some nice landmark towers, kinda like this...

201 - 220 of 250 Posts