SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
22,043 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally hate that the Transport Hub is less central than current Europa/GreatVictoria Station.

I just imagine walking an extra 2 barren blocks to get to a station that has no additional timetabled services.

The last train to Antrim/Ballymena is still 10.40pm, where as Portadown and Bangor get a more frequent/later service up to 11.30pm. Translink needs to treat the rail network in terms of zones, not branches.

·
22,043 Posts
Personally hate that the Transport Hub is less central than current Europa/GreatVictoria Station.

I just imagine walking an extra 2 barren blocks to get to a station that has no additional timetabled services.

The last train to Antrim/Ballymena is still 10.40pm, where as Portadown and Bangor get a more frequent/later service up to 11.30pm. Translink needs to treat the rail network in terms of zones, not branches.
The number of trains on the network is constrained by the number of trainsets in operation and capacity on the track. The Bleach Green to Antrim track is not dual-tracked which limits additional services, the Portadown to Bangor line is dual-tracked, that makes a significant difference.

I don't agree with your first point though, the new station is literally 3 minutes walk from the current location of GVS and has the potential to be transformative for the entire area in terms of development.

It has to be in that location to allow for construction of the new hub and the continuation of services from GVS.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Understood. But that does not explain why there can not be a later service to Antrim/Ballymena at night nor a service that is more frequent than every hour.

I have raised this to Translink, that a train should be parked at Ballymena at night so that it can finish and start there earlier and later.

Translink treat Portadown and Bangor as commuter towns and Antrim/Ballymena as a source of casual shoppers.

I think timetable frequency should be treated zonal -
Zone 1: Portadown, Larne, Bangor, Ballymena
Zone 2: Coleraine, Newry
Zone 3: Derry/Londonderry, Dublin

The blocks I refer to, I don't imagine they will be a hive of activity after 7pm.

I imagined trains coming in under the bridge and arriving where the bus stands currently are but i get your point regarding maintaining the station during construction.

·
22,043 Posts
Understood. But that does not explain why there can not be a later service to Antrim/Ballymena at night nor a service that is more frequent than every hour.

I have raised this to Translink, that a train should be parked at Ballymena at night so that it can finish and start there earlier and later.
Yeah but that train has to carry on to Coleraine, it doesn't terminate at Ballymena. The 22:40 from GVS arrives in Ballymena at 23:30 and Coleraine at 00:05. I don't think Translink would consider a later train than that. Would there even be demand for that?

Trains can't just be left on the track at stations. They need to be cleaned, maintained and checked for any damage or safety issues. The network also has to be clear to allow for the movement essential equipment such as the sandite train any for any track maintenance.

More regular services could be achieved on the Belfast - Derry line with additional passing loops and the dual-tracking of some sections. That's some way off though.

Another option is the reopening of the Knockmore line.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah but that train has to carry on to Coleraine, it doesn't terminate at Ballymena. The 22:40 from GVS arrives in Ballymena at 23:30 and Coleraine at 00:05. I don't think Translink would consider a later train than that. Would there even be demand for that?

Trains can't just be left on the track at stations. They need to be cleaned, maintained and checked for any damage or safety issues. The network also has to be clear to allow for the movement essential equipment such as the sandite train any for any track maintenance.
The train doesn't have to continue on to Coleraine. Ballymena has 2 parking bays that branch off from track. Train can be cleaned/checked at Ballymena. A train could leave Belfast 23.30 and arrive at Ballymena at 12.10. Similar times to Bangor and Portadown.

Thats why the network should be treated as Zonal rather than branches. Surely Mossley West, Antrim and Ballymena would have just as much catchment area as Larne line.

Another option is the reopening of the Knockmore line.
I could only see this happening if there ever was a train line branch built to take you to the international airport.

·
22,043 Posts
I could only see this happening if there ever was a train line branch built to take you to the international airport.
Actually I think will be reopened before any airport link. Preliminary work has commenced on the proposed Lisburn West station so we could see it reopened within the next few years.

Nothing confirmed as of yet though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope they've left room for the terminal to expand with more platforms - hopefully rail travel will grow and closed lines will be reopened.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I have to agree, the new timetable brought no improvements to the Derry Line. Surely, there could be a half hourly service at times, and do we not need, a 10pm service both ways, at a minimum? In Great Britain, most lines would have a service to midnight, so this line is well behind the times in service frequency.

Why are Translink neglecting this line? It is the most used!

·
Registered
188 Posts

Translink treat Portadown and Bangor as commuter towns and Antrim/Ballymena as a source of casual shoppers.

The blocks I refer to, I don't imagine they will be a hive of activity after 7pm.

I imagined trains coming in under the bridge and arriving where the bus stands currently are but i get your point regarding maintaining the station during construction.
I wouldn't put Derry within the same zone as Dublin. Derry deserves a proper rail service. As I said in the previous post, there should be a 10pm train, both ways, at an absolute minimum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't put Derry within the same zone as Dublin. Derry deserves a proper rail service. As I said in the previous post, there should be a 10pm train, both ways, at an absolute minimum.
The unfortunate main reason for this is that Translink operate the buses and trains. 212 bus service is one of the most profitable routes and has a late service so not enough demand or desire to increase the train service. 212 journey time with also improve with Glenshane works.

·
Registered
28 Posts

As BUG has touched on an extra late night service to Ballymena requires a lot of things. No drivers or guards are based in Ballymena so would create a whole new depot and security would be needed for a train being stabled at night. The current arrival time of the 2240 into Coleraine falls in line with most depots throughout the network.

Portadown - 2357hrs
Bangor - 0015hrs
Larne Harbour - 0020hrs
L’derry - 2322hrs
Coleraine -0005hrs

The unfortunate thing with the late night services on the LY line is that they attract the most anti social behaviour. When the midnight movers run in December they require 2 security men on each service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As BUG has touched on an extra late night service to Ballymena requires a lot of things. No drivers or guards are based in Ballymena so would create a whole new depot and security would be needed for a train being stabled at night.
These things can be overcome. Not impossible. Can't imagine all drivers live in the vicinity of the depot.

Ballymena is roughly the same distance as Portadown from Belfast and yet has a less frequent/worse service.

Translink can hardly advertise ditching the car on a friday night for dinner and drinks in the city if you have to leave after the Starter has just arrived to get the last train to Antrim while your friends from Bangor enjoy their evening.

Zone 1:
Ballymena - 2329hrs
Portadown - 2357hrs
Bangor - 0015hrs
Larne Harbour - 0020hrs

Zone 2:
Newry - 2322hrs
Coleraine - 0005hrs

Zone 3:
L’derry - 2322hrs

Zone 4:
Dublin - 2215hrs

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
This might be worth registering for if anybody's run out of things to do at home!

Happens tonight at 6.15 pm.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts