SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This huge brownfield site in Belfast has now had plans submitted after over 7 years of being left derelict.

The Sirocco Works was once of the the largest engineering plants in the world and developed heat and cooling exchanges. They developed the first ever air conditioning system and installed it in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, the first building in the world to use air conditioning.

So you have Belfast to thank for air conditioning :lol:

The site also housed the Sirocco Rope works, in this shipbuilding city the Sirocco Ropeworks became the largest rope manufacturer in the world.

The plans will demolish the current brick wall that surrounds the site but the brick Chimney will remain, the developers will also construct a new footbridge across the River Lagan linking the site with the Waterfront Hall.

The ambitious, 16-acre waterfront scheme by award-winning developers The Carvill Group is to transform a run-down factory site into a "unique riverside community" in the east of the city.

The scheme will eventually include a hotel, childcare facilities, a care home for the elderly, a supermarket and doctors' surgery all on-site.

And Sirocco Quays has impressive 'green' credentials, too, with waste management systems which will encourage recycling, the use of renewable technologies and a subsidised car club for residents.

In addition, the development was planned around open spaces, one of which will be a public park within the city centre - second only in size to the grounds of the City Hall.

The historic Sirocco site is the last in the city centre with river frontage and completes the Laganside project - one of the most prestigious in Europe

History of the site…
The large 16 acre site located on the east side of the Lagan was once home to Sirocco Ropeworks which at one point was the largest rope manufacturer in the world. In 1881 Samuel Davidson, one of the founding partners of Howden sets up his business from the Bridge End site eventually creating Howden Sirocco. Production of fans and heat exchangers began and a close working relationship evolved with Harland & Wolff on the fitting out of ships. However, in 1999 production was moved overseas and the site became derelict.

Industry moves aside for developers…
Dunloe Ewart (Ewart Properties) purchased the 16 acre site from Howden Sirocco in 2000 for £23m. With almost 1,000sq ft of frontage onto the Lagan the site had significant investor appeal and demolition soon got under way. Complete demolition of all of the site including the largest factory was completed in 2006. Ewarts planned to develop 129,000 sq ft of offices, 98 flats, a 90,000 sq ft superstore and 50,000 sq ft of additional retail space.

ASDA Superstore…
Asda is planning its first ‘supercentre’ in Northern Ireland for the Sirocco site. Following Morrison’s takeover of Safeway, the development of the Sirocco site was postponed although demolition on the site continued. Asda confirmed it was considering the brownfield site for a large store, where more than half the floor space will be dedicated to selling non-food items.

Ewart Properties sell Sirocco site…
In Autumn 2006 Ewart Properties sold the Sirocco site with planning permission for a residential scheme to the Carvill Group for £40m. The price per acre in this deal set a record for Northern Ireland even though planning had only been secured for a residential scheme on 3 acres of the 16 acre site and permission had not yet been decided for the ASDA superstore. In October 2006 Llewelyn Davies Yeang were appointed to masterplan the site on behalf of the Carvill Group.

A new direction for the Sirocco site…
In September 2007 the Carvill Group submitted their plans for the Sirocco site. Whilst Ewarts plan provided for large areas of surface car parking as seen in image 1 below the new plans addressed planners concerns and adopted a revised scheme which resembled more of an extension to the city centre. The new scheme includes 2,400 apartments and 150,000 sq ft for retail and employment uses and a new pedestrian bridge linking the site to Lanyon Place.

The masterplan by Richards Partington Architects will comprise ten phases which it is hoped will be finished by 2019. The first phase will incorporate an 80,000 sq ft supermarket underneath 400 apartments on the eastern edge of the site and is due to start in 2009. Turley Associates are acting as planning consultants for the Carvill Group.

Future phases will add to the feel of the site, creating a new area of the city, much like Lanyon Place achieved on the other side of the river. Planned developments include a group of five tall buildings, one of which will be 30 storeys and developing a hotel on the site.

Further changes to the site include the direction the supermarket entrance will face, a consideration that Carvill Group believe is vital in reducing the risk of a community feeling excluded from the scheme. Previously the door faced onto the Short Strand which may be perceived as more welcoming to one community than another. Therefore the developer has located the entrance on the main square hopefully achieving a neutrality that the city centre has for the most part always enjoyed and therefore achieving the development goal of creating an extension to the city centre.

Archaeology…

The Department of the Environment began investigating the site soon after the change of ownership. Archaeological digs took up much of 2008 as the location of the site on the banks of the Lagan could provide information on the early years of Belfast hundreds of years ago.

International hotel chain…

In June (2008) it was revealed that an international hotel chain was being lined up for the new sirocco development.

Latest planning updates…
In May 2008 the Carvill group submitted their planning applications for the site…

2008-05-02 0829/F
Proposed mixed use development comprising 386 no apartments, residents gym, a supermarket, 1 no retail unit, function room, landscaped private amenity space, landscaped public realm, basement car parking and associated road works.

2008-05-02 0830/F
Proposed mixed use development comprising 294 no apartments, 4 no. own door office units, 1 no. retail unit, a care home, landscaped private amenity space, landscaped public realm, basement car parking and associated road works.

2008-05-02 0832/F
Proposed mixed use development comprising 253 no. apartments, 2 no. own door office units, 4 no. retail units, landscaped private amenity space, landscaped public realm, basement car parking and associated road works.

Thanks to Future Belfast for the above text info and images :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think in England large developments have to have a degree of social housing for them to get planning permission. I'd imagine demand for council housing is still high in Belfast. Given that this site is more or less neutral, I was thinking about whether they could try to create a mixed estate in this development. They seem to be drastically cutting the amount of flats to be built here, probably because of the economic depression. They could build affordable homes to make up the numbers. Thats my tuppence worth anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts
This site is incredibly close to the CBD and the rent would be far too high for the sort of people to move into 'a mxed community' (not creating a streotype or anything). The site is no technically that netrual as about 100 yards away is the Short Strand.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I reckon owengriffiths has got a point. Aye, its beside the short strand, but it's also beside Protestant Bridge End. As far as I know that is a peaceful interface, the strand/ lower newton is the rowdy one. Sciroco Quays could be a neutral buffer zone. If there were social housing I think you'd have to vet who comes to live in the area though, on a 50/50 basis so that the estate has no chance of developing into a single identity area.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Update: 21/02/09

Area of the recent piling works around the small crane....

Junction being constructed at Short Strand / Mountpottinger Link for the future main entrance to Sirocco Quays.

Does anyone know exactly what it is the archeologists are digging up in the site?? This is the view from Bridge End...

·
Registered
149 Posts
archeologists digging up the site is more likely the thing holding up the Sirocco development and why it's hoped!! it will be finished by 2019.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a great photo looking towards sirocco works from the west side of the queens bridge dated 1910 which shows a drying turbine coming from sirroco pulled by a horse and cart. It says that the sirocco works was the largest manufacturer of tea drying machinery in the world. You can also see a large fat looking chimmney on the site which is supposed to have been the largest bottle tower in Ireland at the time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
archeologists digging up the site is more likely the thing holding up the Sirocco development and why it's hoped!! it will be finished by 2019.
Yeah, it's weird that a 16 acre site should take a decade to complete. It'd be great if the Archaeologists hurried up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, it's weird that a 16 acre site should take a decade to complete. It'd be great if the Archaeologists hurried up.
I remember lugging theodolites about in 1994 on the Waterfront Hall site; 15 years later the final 2 buildings are only now being completed. 10 years is realistic, maybe even optimistic! Developers will only build to order, most don't have the money for speculative builds.

Does anyone know exactly what it is the archeologists are digging up in the site?? This is the view from Bridge End...
I assume the archeology is the old rows of terraced houses which used to line the Short Strand before the wholescale redevelopment of the 70's / 80's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I assume the archeology is the old rows of terraced houses which used to line the Short Strand before the wholescale redevelopment of the 70's / 80's.
if it is the old row of terraced houses they are looking at someone should tell them that belfast is covered in them. And they have doors and windows aswell

:lol::lol::lol:
A FUN DAY OUT FOR ALL ARCHEOLOGISTS

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a great photo looking towards sirocco works from the west side of the queens bridge dated 1910 which shows a drying turbine coming from sirroco pulled by a horse and cart. It says that the sirocco works was the largest manufacturer of tea drying machinery in the world. You can also see a large fat looking chimmney on the site which is supposed to have been the largest bottle tower in Ireland at the time.
Any chance of scanning it and posting it here? I would love to see that pic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its not just the video back up, they have put a lot more content up on their page - http://www.carvill-group.com/site/Content.aspx?x=6MWUVl7KRHw=

New videos:

LifeStyle Video -
http://www.carvill-group.com/archive/video/SiroccoHistory.wmv

History video -
http://www.carvill-group.com/archive/video/SiroccoLifestyle.wmv

More pics in the gallery-
http://www.carvill-group.com/site/ImageGallery.aspx?x=35
like this one -

A new brochure as well -
http://www.carvill-group.com/archive/PDFs/Northern_Ireland/Sirocco%20Quays/Sirocco%20Quay%202010.pdf

I have to say, this development excites me a lot more than the Titanic quarter does. It says work begins in 2011 and to span over 10 years. fingers crossed anyway

1 - 20 of 291 Posts