SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
So the highest this goes is 13 storeys/56 metres? I expected something 80m-100m.. what is the city's height restriction because of the airport?
Within the main city area, the height restriction is the height of the taller crane- Samson- which is 106m.
. I always thought Goliath was the taller crane because my Sunday school teacher told me Goliath was the giant and Samson was therefore the shorter stronger crane. Mind blown they didn't think this through when they named them did they.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Indeed! I think as it is a goliath class crane, they just went with Goliath when the installed the first one... and then there were no other bible based giants to use when they built the second one.

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
So the highest this goes is 13 storeys/56 metres? I expected something 80m-100m.. what is the city's height restriction because of the airport?
The developer for this scheme is not going for height, as hypnotoad24 mentions. They've designed the buildings so it creates a microclimate, counters strong winds, maximises daylight and the number of hours the outdoor spaces are pleasant to use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
According to the Belfast Telegraph and the Irishnews (https://www.irishnews.com/business/...development-set-for-planning-approval-1637046), the masterplan for the 1.7 million sq ft Waterside project is recommended for approval at the next planning committee on Thursday.

There are some interesting stuff on the planning application (http://epicpublic.planningni.gov.uk/publicaccess/search.do?action=simple&searchType=Application reference LA04/2018/0811/O).

I found some new renderings:

It looks like they have increased the size of the pathway along the river and stepped back the residential buildings from the river.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
River pathway looks excellent. Still hope there is a bit more variety in the residential blocks, although the latest renders are already an improvement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
City council give it the green light

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/News/News-107158.aspx

Next steps in extensive Belfast Waterside development get green light
13 Jun 2019
A major new development which could create over 8,000 jobs and provide homes for more than 1,500 residents has been approved by Belfast City Council’s Planning Committee.

The full Belfast Waterside scheme – located on the site of the former Sirocco Works – is set to transform the east bank of the city through a mixed use waterfront development made up of offices, apartments and a hotel, together with retail, hospitality and professional service units and community and leisure facilities.

Developers Osborne+Co (Swinford Sirocco Ltd) estimate that, as well as creating 875 full-time jobs during construction, the project, once completed, will have the capacity to support 8,295 full-time equivalent jobs, 6,130 of which will be on site and a further 2,760 through the supply chain, through almost 80,000sqm of office space.

An employability and skills programme, designed to ‘skill up’ residents and reflect the jobs delivered through the scheme, will also support the project as part of a Section 76 planning agreement secured by the council.

Proposed residential accommodation – almost 64,000 sqm of the site - will include 675 units for approximately 1,570 residents, up to 20% of which will be affordable housing units, including a minimum of 10% social housing, while a ‘creative cluster’ building, facing onto the River Lagan, will include a public square, reflecting the site’s industrial heritage, and new spaces for community and arts use.

The full framework for the 2.6 hectare site explains how it will be opened up through extensive public realm works, including a new street network and linear park, the removal of existing boundary walls, landscaping, a replacement pedestrian bridge over the River Lagan and improved access to both Short Strand and Bridge End.

“This is a massive step forward for Belfast, with the potential to create almost 20% of the jobs pledged through the Belfast Agenda, our community plan, as well as providing new space for city centre living, another of our key goals,“ said Councillor Arder Carson, Chair of the Planning Committee.

“The provision of additional high quality office space in a brand new part of the city centre will be hugely attractive to investors as Belfast continues to grow in stature internationally as a great place to do business.

“I’m also pleased that this project will not only finally transform a site which has been out of use since 1999, but also provide affordable housing units, responding to housing need and ensuring it becomes a place for everyone, with the facilities required to reflect our expected growth in our population by 2035.”

Tonight’s decision is one of a number of high-profile planning applications granted approval by councillors this week.

On Tuesday evening, planning permission was given to begin work on a £17 million restoration and extension of the historic Templemore Baths, as part of the council’s Leisure Transformation Programme, providing state-of-the-art leisure facilities, including a new 25m six-lane pool, for inner east Belfast.

A £7 million plan to restore the Grade B1-listed St Comgall’s school, providing a vital boost to economic and social regeneration in west Belfast through the creation of a multi-use community hub, was also granted approval, along with a 251-bed purpose-built managed student accommodation development, on vacant lands between University Road and Botanic Avenue.

A vacant car park in the heart of Smithfield will also be transformed into further office and retail space, including workspace for small and medium enterprises, breathing new life into the city’s inner north-west area and bringing the listed Butcher’s building on the corner of Gresham Street back into use.

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
^^

Were those not in place for the demo and clearance of the former show building?

Timelines for these large projects are more fluid and will depend on tenders and contracts. We’ve waited this long so I don’t think a few months will kill us.

Nothing to indicate this has stalled.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Has this project hit the buffers? I notice the site cabin plus all of the other things they brought to the site have now been cleared away again....
I expect it has, at least until they see what happens with Brexit. The show apartment building was demolished because of rising anti-social behaviour - it was literally lying wide open and was a health hazard - despite the owners best efforts to board it up. Last year they removed the internal staircase so people couldn't get to the upper levels of the building, which didn't really deter anybody from getting up...

There was also a deliberate fire in the old Sirocco works entrance checkpoint building a few weeks ago (beside the railway bridge).

The site is not secure at all, which sort of indicates that nothing's going to happen anytime soon. It's an absolute joke for a prominent city centre site to be left like this....

241 - 260 of 291 Posts