SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
The site is not secure at all, which sort of indicates that nothing's going to happen anytime soon. It's an absolute joke for a prominent city centre site to be left like this....
It's currently waste ground. The developer is not going to pay for security when there is nothing of value on the site.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It's currently waste ground. The developer is not going to pay for security when there is nothing of value on the site.
Not security at such, but adding new hoarding, new fencing etc. All of which needs to be done well in advance of contractors coming on site. Have they even issued construction tenders for the first phase?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry BUG... i did feel it was veering that way right enough.

Regardless of political and economic headwinds, let's just hope this gets moving soon, as I'm bored of playing spot the difference when crossing the albert bridge.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Actual progression is a few months behind but the developer’s timescale seems to be funded by Arab investment group and dependent on, potentially, American investment for the first office block.

American companies have been investing in NI for many months despite Brexit.

The Arab investment group behind the project have plenty of money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like there is some form of limited activity on site over the last few days. A blue container has appeared on site and looks like some kind of survey work might be ongoing.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Would be good to see something starting here. Fingers crossed!

The website has been updated too.

No progress updates since last June sadly. Though the Plug and Play building is now known as BEON... and the office buildings are now known as IMPELLER.... whatever that means.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
They're doing surveying on the site for sure, but it's on a completely different part of the site to the proposed first phase.

Not hopeful for any real progress anytime soon. Shame because the developer made a big song and dance about being cash rich and in a position to start ASAP.

That was well over a year ago and Belfast isn't exactly booming at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand it's quietly being punted around for sale. That would be disappointing. There is so much work needed to knit together the east bank of the city with both its immediate communities as well as the city. If Chichester St is our main Boulevard it would be fantastic to see a foot/cycle bridge from the Waterfront Hall, through the site and on to SS/Lwr Newtownards Road. Move the Translink depot, introduce medium-rise private/social housing, a bi-directional cycle lane along Short Strand, suitable community retail and restaurants able to utilise the southerly aspect.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I understand it's quietly being punted around for sale.
Do you have a source that you're able to name? Would be a real shame if that transpired.

Secondly, how many more surveys are needed on that site? Surely it's been surveyed to death over the last fifteen years? What else is there to find?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It hasn't started if that's what you're asking.

Whether there has been any movement negotiation-wise, I wouldn't know...

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like the designs.

I take it the 13 story office is the tallest in the proposal to avoid infringing the view of the H and W cranes

261 - 280 of 291 Posts