SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
22,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A senior civil servant is to move to a new role as head of the GAA's Casement Park redevelopment project in west Belfast.

Rory Miskelly has already been involved in the project through his job at the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure. He will now be working as a full-time employee of the GAA.

Mr Miskelly has vast experience when it comes to multi-million pound building projects in Belfast. He helped deliver the Titanic Visitor Centre and the revamped Ravenhill rugby stadium. Now comes, arguably, his greatest challenge - ensuring a new stadium at Casement Park is built.

It will not be built this year, or next. But a new planning application is expected within the next six months. Before that, another community consultation will take place. It is understood the GAA may be willing to reduce the planned 38,000 capacity. However, they still want the ground to hold at least 32,500 spectators, and would prefer more.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Public consultation started for the new Casement Park and a feedback survey available;

http://www.casementpark.ie/consultation-update/

Seems unnecessary to have an all-seat stadium, most GAA fans are happy to stand, and the stadium would benefit from having a covered terrace. They also want to be able to host 18,000 attendance music events. I don't understand the term "Provincial Stadium", what is that supposed to mean? I would guess that phrase is being used to try to justify the highest capacity possible. Not sure if it is possible to have a capacity of over 30k given the confined site.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not very knowledgable on anything Gaelic games related, but i imagine Ulster championship type tournaments will have higher attendances and thus be held at Casement park?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
But Ulster GAA doesn't need a "Provincial Stadium", most counties have an adequate stadium (~20k capacity) and Clones is a fantastic location for Ulster finals. A big stadium in that location to host big games will damage attendances. Antrim GAA needs a home ground, Ulster GAA doesn't need a "Provincial Stadium". I reckon the GAA bigwigs up north are just engaging in dick measuring with the IFA over stadia.

·
22,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
But Ulster GAA doesn't need a "Provincial Stadium", most counties have an adequate stadium (~20k capacity) and Clones is a fantastic location for Ulster finals. A big stadium in that location to host big games will damage attendances. Antrim GAA needs a home ground, Ulster GAA doesn't need a "Provincial Stadium". I reckon the GAA bigwigs up north are just engaging in dick measuring with the IFA over stadia.

To be fair the redeveloped Casement will be far superior to Clones

Perhaps Ulster now consider the new Casement Park to be their new home?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
To be fair the redeveloped Casement will be far superior to Clones

Perhaps Ulster now consider the new Casement Park to be their new home?
The redeveloped Casement will not be superior to Clones in terms of match day experience. Clones is electric on match day, the street down to the stadium bustling with people and so handy for a pint or two after the match. There is very little around Casement, which may not be an issue given the ordeal getting to the game will be considering there is nowhere to park a bus, nevermind a couple of thousand cars.

The Ulster Council may well see the new Casement Park to be their new home which is very worrying.

·
22,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The Ulster Council may well see the new Casement Park to be their new home which is very worrying.
Why? Belfast is the largest city in Ulster, why shouldn't Casement be their new home? Belfast has more to offer than Clones or Armagh, let's be frank.

It'll be a landmark development for them and would serve as a great base for them in the heart of West Belfast.

There's no reason why buses and cars couldn't park in the Boucher Playing Fields and take a shuttle to Casement. Andersonstown could also benefit from hosting events and see new facilities, bars and restaurants open. Casement Park will also be close to the planned western route of the Belfast BRT-based rapid transit system with a sizeable Park-and-ride in West Belfast.

Where do the thousands of cars and buses park in regard to Croke?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The redeveloped Casement will not be superior to Clones in terms of match day experience. Clones is electric on match day, the street down to the stadium bustling with people and so handy for a pint or two after the match. There is very little around Casement, which may not be an issue given the ordeal getting to the game will be considering there is nowhere to park a bus, nevermind a couple of thousand cars.

Casement social club
Andersonstown bowling club
Biddy Duffys
The PD
Whitefort/Wolf & Whistle
The Felons

Plenty within ten minutes walk, A'town is usually fairly busy with people around match days.

Space to park buses behind the stadium, which AFAIK will be retained.

Getting to casement isn't that bad either, plenty of links to the city centre and not too far up the road to A'town. I'll admit parking is atrocious.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've heard great stories of match day in Clones!

But capacity and local Belfast issues aside, Stormont had the money to build new stadiums, Dublin didn't. And Belfast were never gonna release money to build one in Monaghan. Best to build it in the population centre in Ulster i guess!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
What Belfast has to offer is largely irrelevant seeing as most of what it has to offer is in the city centre and fans attending matches in Casement wont be going near there. A few local pubs doesn’t mean the area can handle 20,000 supporters. Talk of possible BRT is irrelevant, even if it was operational the number of fans coming from the route would be tiny. Antrim are not a force at present and the strongest and most supported teams are from the south and west of the province which has very limited public transport links to that area. People will be driven to Casement, either in private cars or buses and so the area has to be able to cater for this. Given the restricted nature of the site, I cant see how they will have parking for anything other than team buses.

My issue is that the new stadium seems to be designed around hosting big games and selling corporate tickets. Even if all big games were played in Casement, it is at most three games a year. There is no way Clones will be completely left out, the strongest teams in Ulster atm are Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan and Cavan, Clones will still be used so Casement will only get one or two games a year with attendances of over 20k. It would be better to design the stadium for the needs of Antrim GAA, who will be the main user of the stadium, with the possibility to increase capacity for big games.

Croke Park is different, mainly because of its proximity to the city centre. It is within walking distance of the main bus station, as well as Connolly station, which is linked to the national heavy rail network, and Luas Red line. It is possible to a get bus/train from the main towns directly to within walking distance of Croke Park. Many Dublin Bus routes also pass close to the stadium. Considering the Dubs generate the biggest crowds, the majority of their fans only have relatively short distances to travel and can use public transport. There is also parking for 500 cars beside it in Clonliffe College and O’Connell School, as well as city centre car parks and on street residential parking, and buses park at Mountjoy Square. There is no comparison between Casement and Croke Park.

No one is suggesting that Stormont money should be spent in Monaghan, just that the money should not be spent on a white elephant in a bad location. If Ulster GAA needed a “Provincial Stadium” (which it doesn’t) and it was going to be located in Belfast, it should be in a suitable location. If they are going to redevelop Casement, they shouldn’t repeat the mistakes they already made by designing something which was unsuitable for the site and the general area.

·
22,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Personally I would have selected another site in Belfast but the GAA won't budge on Casement so there's not much point debating other sites. The decision is made so now let's hope they can transform what is a complete dive into something good.

We've no idea what traffic management plans will be detailed in the application so not much point theorising about that either until we actually see the application.

Not really much point arguing where's better, Ulster GAA seem to have made their mind up. If it gets approved of course....and that's a big if

·
Registered
757 Posts
The location of Casement Park seems to have an almost quasi-religious significance for the GAA and for the West Belfast community. If it wasn't for that, there's no way that area would have been selected to build a massive stadium.

If they can't design it to safely evacuate thousands of fans in an emergency, how on earth will they design the other essential infrastructure that people have already mentioned!? And a handful of local dive bars aren't capable of catering for 20,000-30,000 people before a match, that's an insane idea.

I cam imagine that there will be major problems in and around the stadium every time there is a big match. It sounds like a cluster-f**k in the making.

·
22,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Revised designs released and they have a roof for the terraced section, finally!

Ulster GAA have unveiled the proposed designs for their new provincial stadium at Casement Park in Antrim.

The reveal of the new design comes nearly two years after a High Court judge ruled at the original proposed design of the ground in Belfast was unlawful.
Plans to redevelop the stadium in Antrim have suffered setbacks over the last few years but the Ulster board are now hopeful that their latest plans will allow them to move forward with the £77million redevelopment project.

The new design, which Ulster GAA say was informed and shaped by feedback received from the local community and wider stakeholders, has a proposed capacity of 34,500 inclusive of 8,500 standing terracing.
The new height, scale and capacity are all reduced from the previous design, with the stadium envelope also being further restricted. The 'bowl' design of the stadium will ensure that terracing supporters have the same level of protection from the weather and concourse facilities as all other spectators within the ground.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Looks good, particularly with that terrace now enclosed... although I don't really notice much reduction in height compared to the images in the thread OP!

41 - 60 of 111 Posts