SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sold on the boxy concourse design - it looks like it could detract from the main arena somewhat. I suppose such a design could engage with the street more actively than the glass stadium casing but there isn't much evidence of that in the renders.

The arena itself looks impressive so hopefully they can now take their disproportionate amount of money (when compared with the other sports) and actually get something built. Only in Ireland could there be such a nonsense over how to spend such a substantial gift.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It looks well, I wonder if they are sinking the pitch lower into the ground to reduce the height of the stadium.
Given that it looks like a complete redesign does anyone know who is fronting the extra funds, with Brexit I can't see the executive coming up with it.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Any reduction in the size and scale of the stadium seems to be minimal so I doubt the locals will be any happier with the new design. Has there actually been any details on how/if they have improved the safety aspects, evacuation procedures, emergency access, etc.?

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Any reduction in the size and scale of the stadium seems to be minimal so I doubt the locals will be any happier with the new design. Has there actually been any details on how/if they have improved the safety aspects, evacuation procedures, emergency access, etc.?
Seems residents are a bit happier and were more involved in the design process, I think it's 12-14 meters lower. There's more exits and they've purchased some waste land that leads from the stadium to Stockmans Lane as an alternative evac route

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Has anyone anymore information about this - the planning application was submitted on Feb 28th?
The application, due to its nature and impact, will likely be one the minister responsible for planning decides upon. We have no minister so it's likely it's stuck in the political vacuum currently. Civil servants have likely looked at it but they can't do much more until a minister is in place.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Things are looking great for Irish stadia. Dublin with two world class facilities. Cork now with PuC ready to open. Limerick has Thomond. And Belfast will (hopefully) soon have a redeveloped Casement to complement Ravenhill.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Culchie football?
Yeah, the gaelic futbal... The Republic of Tyrone's second most favourite national passtime after watching Ceefax.

It looks alright, but there's a touch of the identikit 'liberty stadium/pride park' about it. I do like an old-skool stadium and think the floodlight pylons in each corner will be missed. The Allianz Arena lighting action could look good tooling up the M1 though.

So, back to my original question... will it be open for other sports like the Rugby World Cup bid, Ulster games and possible Euro tournaments?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Will be interesting to see what they have done to address the access and evacuation issues because approval will hang on that.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts