SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lol, doesn't tale much to rattle some folk on here. :lol: It's not a bad stadium, capacity is a bit on the small side, would've made more sense to build a shared facility with Ulster Rugby/IRFU and bump the seat count up to something more fitting for the NI team. Oh well, at least Casement will provide the Six Counties with a truly world class sporting facility. :cheers:

·
saulalvarez
127 Posts
Wouldn't call it 'World Class' to be fair. There are impressive elements such as the exterior, the interactive museum part inside and the actual three tier stands themselves. Was not impressed with that standing section behind the goal though. It just looks like a semi-pro football stand and is dwarfed by the rest of it. I realise there are size restrictions but surely they can do better than that.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Looking at the original proposal, I think it was actually nicer and more distinctive. The new design reminds me of Allianz Arena and also the lower part of Soccer City in Jo'berg. They should have kept the original roof but extended it all the way round. The changing colours feels a bit gimmicky now. I also think having terracing at both ends would be better.

·
saulalvarez
127 Posts
Stadium issues see Ireland rated weakest of three bids

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1031/916442-stadium-issues-see-ireland-rated-weakest-of-three-bids/

Well that is that finished. While stadiums in the South are mentioned, it does note the lack of a new Casement Park was also a factor. No surprises there.

While NI alone isn't at fault, it still highlights the utter uselessness of politicians and the political system up here.

I'm just glad the bid didn't come second and Casement was given as a reason we didn't win. Theres some comfort in the fact we really lost!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
They list all those as reasons, but the one underpinning it all is money, with the Irish governments stumping up the least amount of money out of the three.

The bid isn't dead yet, there's still the actual voting process to go, but it's certainly circling the drain!

In future, the only way we will see a RWC on these shores is via a joint Welsh/Scottish bid I think. Until then, given available stadium and the required finances, we can look forward to the tournament being circulated continually amongst France, England, SA and Australia.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As someone not au fait with stadia and the state therein, what would be needed on a NI level to have been good?

If they managed to create it would that then put the ball in the Dublin government's court over investing there?

I guess it would have been worse in some ways if there were good stadia here but it was scuppered due to Dublin's lack of spending.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In future, the only way we will see a RWC on these shores is via a joint Welsh/Scottish bid I think. Until then, given available stadium and the required finances, we can look forward to the tournament being circulated continually amongst France, England, SA and Australia.
Well Japan is up next.

I honestly haven’t followed the casement park saga too closely. What happened?

I can’t understand how our planning and political system managed to produce 2 great stadiums in the same time frame, but not the third.

I mean one of them nearly fell into a hole.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
As someone not au fait with stadia and the state therein, what would be needed on a NI level to have been good?

If they managed to create it would that then put the ball in the Dublin government's court over investing there?

I guess it would have been worse in some ways if there were good stadia here but it was scuppered due to Dublin's lack of spending.
The bid relies on the use of a lot of GAA stadiums. There's only one Rugby stadium really meeting the criteria for the tournament and that's the Aviva in Dublin. The only stadium in NI capable of hosting any latter stage game is Casement Park, and it's presently still a concept on paper. There really isn't anywhere to direct the blame here. Ireland is a small place, and the bid put up the best it can offer. When compared with France, which is full of terrific stadiums, and South Africa, which is full of great stadiums developed for the football world cup in 2010. Ireland was always going to come up short in that regard.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Well Japan is up next.
Yeah and they are apparently struggling, which is the reason for producing a report which was never going to favour our cause.
I honestly haven’t followed the casement park saga too closely. What happened?

I can’t understand how our planning and political system managed to produce 2 great stadiums in the same time frame, but not the third.
Arguably the optimal goal should have only been to produce two great stadiums. The NI national soccer team and Ulster Rugby could have cohabitated in one stadium, ideally more centrally located than either of the present stadia. Of course there are other factors which would not have allowed that.

The problem for Casement, imo, is not actually the planning and political system (although neither help) but the location of the stadium, the site is just too confined and isolated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be the end of the road for the current casement plan:

https://www.irishnews.com/news/nort...hief-says-it-may-be-time-for-plan-b--1417523/

I think a smaller stadium for Antrim GAA is the only option now. Even that should be at another site if you ask me.
I don't see the point of going through the process of creating a new application yet whenever the current one has not been decided.

A new application would most likely also need ministerial approval and would end up facing the same problems the current application has which is there is no one to approve the application.

The current application has been given the thumbs up by blue light services and is currently going through re-consultation with responses expected in September so I think it's probably best to wait until then to decide upon Casement's future.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Even if, by some miracle/act of madness, the project gets approved, it ain't going to be built. The NI government won't justify spending the money on a stadium given all the other issues its facing, there is no RWC to write the cost off against and financing the whole thing by themselves would bankrupt the GAA. The stadium proposed simply isn't economically viable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even if, by some miracle/act of madness, the project gets approved, it ain't going to be built. The NI government won't justify spending the money on a stadium given all the other issues its facing, there is no RWC to write the cost off against and financing the whole thing by themselves would bankrupt the GAA. The stadium proposed simply isn't economically viable.

I wouldn't totally shocked if it does get approved. The main hurdle for the stadium was safety concerns and whether people inside the stadium could be evacuated safely. The PSNI and other emergency services stated that safety concerns have been addressed and that they have been assured (See here for more info: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...olice-safety-concerns-addressed-36620416.html)
The only thing really stopping the stadium progressing now is a lack of executive.

Also, the money for Casement Park has already been secured and has been for years now. If, somehow, the money was pulled I'm sure there would be great outrage given that the Windsor Park and Ravenhill stadium were redeveloped.

I'd also think it would be a great shame if Ulster GAA did opt for a Plan B and made the stadium significantly smaller given that the stadium has been in ruins for year as a result of them closing the stadium in anticipation of development starting. A world class stadium is something that the community, county and province deserve and need.

·
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The money has already been ring-fenced and has been for a considerable time. The money and political will is there to build it. It's one of a handful of projects specifically identified by the previous Executive as a priority.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this still waiting on Ministerial approval? Could Belfast City Council not just approve it themselves as they are able to do with a wide plethora of projects in the planning system?

Alternatively could Westminister give planning approval for this if Stormont isn't restored over the next few months?

Would be incredible for West Belfast and the city as a whole for tourism etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this still waiting on Ministerial approval? Could Belfast City Council not just approve it themselves as they are able to do with a wide plethora of projects in the planning system?

Alternatively could Westminister give planning approval for this if Stormont isn't restored over the next few months?

Would be incredible for West Belfast and the city as a whole for tourism etc
The application cannot be approved by the Council as it was called in by the Minister at the time when the Assembly was still sitting. The application is instead being considered by senior Civil Servants at the moment (due to the absence of a Minister) and there is apparently suppose to be a decision before the end of the year. Here's some more info around that from around 2 weeks ago - http://belfastmediagroup.com/casement-park-decision-due-by-the-end-of-year/

But I do agree, it would be great for West Belfast!

81 - 100 of 111 Posts