SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Casement Park: GAA hopes for planning permission in spring

The long-delayed Casement Park redevelopment could receive planning permission by spring, the GAA has said.

The chairman of Ulster GAA said planning authorities had indicated they were "hopeful" the process could come to an end, possibly by early April. Tom Daly said it was "up to us in the GAA" to do what was needed to ensure a "successful planning outcome".

His comments came after Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said she was confident a new stadium will be built.

However she indicated a further delay in the project would mean there would be an increase in costs. Ms Hargey, Mr Daly and Finance Minister Conor Murphy was speaking at the site of the existing stadium in west Belfast.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Antrim GAA chairperson Ciaran McCavana says that the next two weeks will shed further light on the prospect of the proposed redevelopment of Casement Park getting the go ahead to proceed.
There was much positivity when Sinn Féin ministers this week met with Ulster GAA officials to affirm that the Northern Ireland Executive would follow through on the proposals to rebuild the GAA stadium.
But McCavana says he is remaining cautious until he has a document citing full planning permission in his hand.

Sinn Féin

@sinnfeinireland

·
Sep 8

A Sinn Féin delegation met with Ulster GAA on Casement Park redevelopment. The delegation involved Ministers Michelle O’Neill, Declan Kearney and Conor Murphy along with Paul Maskey MP and Sinéad Ennis MLA. The Executive will deliver Casement Park.

Such confidence can only mean - CARVE UP!

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I don't think the GAA's position is acceptable to be honest. I really don't think we should just be throwing more money at this if they're unwilling to budge from their £15m contribution to a £110m+ project. Especially in the current economic and fiscal environment where businesses and people are on the brink.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It doesn't seem wise to start construction until all the funding is in place.

If the GAA is unwilling to meet the shortfall then could the Gov purchase the stadium? The stadium could still serve Ulster/Antrim GAA but also allow for other sports to be played there, notably Rugby, where Ireland internationals could be played in Belfast, Rugby World Cup bid, or even Commonwealth Games bid.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
It doesn't seem wise to start construction until all the funding is in place.

If the GAA is unwilling to meet the shortfall then could the Gov purchase the stadium? The stadium could still serve Ulster/Antrim GAA but also allow for other sports to be played there, notably Rugby, where Ireland internationals could be played in Belfast, Rugby World Cup bid, or even Commonwealth Games bid.
I'd expect the GAA to agree to that given the level of funding they are getting. For all the use Casement will get during the year they should be contracted to provide it for other events such as those you mention.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd expect the GAA to agree to that given the level of funding they are getting. For all the use Casement will get during the year they should be contracted to provide it for other events such as those you mention.
It would be the opposite of the Linfield-IFA agreement. Linfield get percentage of NI gate receipts + rent. If Casement was government owned, or City owned, they could claim a percentage of Antrim gate receipts, though with that agreement GAA is less likely to hold Ulster finals there.

Casement as a Commonwealth Games venue sounds a bit nuts but I think of the temporary conversion of Hampden as an example of what can be done.

Plus concerts and other events, it could be a money spinner for the city.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'd say the GAA, certainly Croke Park, have no interest in building such a big stadium anymore. They have been burnt down in Cork and don't want a repeat. I'd say the GAA are waiting for the Exec to pull the plug on it to avoid bad press for themselves or wider political reasons, or a bit of both. The stadium getting refused planning permission is probably the best outcome for everyone.

A big stadium at Casement is not realistic, not least because of the size and location of the site itself. A smaller stadium may get built there eventually.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts