SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updates tend to get lost in the main Belfast thread, so let's put the Cathedral Quarter information (apart from Royal Exchange and UU) in here.

According to Future Belfast, site works have taken place on this site on Donegal Street in recent weeks:

http://www.futurebelfast.com/140-donegall-street.html

Has anyone noticed anything on site? I haven't been in that area recently so I can't provide any useful updates.

Also on Donegal Street, the Printers Cafe premises have been purchased by the owners of James Street South restaurant. Printers are relocating further along the street (according to Belfast Telegraph on 4th July 2013).

·
22,043 Posts
I hadn't noticed anything. I'll have a look this weekend though, I plan to take some pictures of the York Street demolition. Fantastic news if site works have started. I think we'll see a lot of development news for vacant sites now that work on the UU campus has started.

I heard about Printers, think he's planning some sort of chicken restaurant, maybe along the lines of Birdcage which has been doing very well. Nick's Warehouse is being turned into a bar, I think I heard the owner of the Duke of York has bought it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Updates tend to get lost in the main Belfast thread, so let's put the Cathedral Quarter information (apart from Royal Exchange and UU) in here.

According to Future Belfast, site works have taken place on this site on Donegal Street in recent weeks:

http://www.futurebelfast.com/140-donegall-street.html

Has anyone noticed anything on site? I haven't been in that area recently so I can't provide any useful updates.
I'm wondering how this scheme will eventually look; the image above shows a building of up to 12 or so floors, however, Future Belfast describes this as a 5 storey development. Very little on the planning site itself, though it is described as an amended development- i wonder if the final development will more resemble the 5 storey glass portion at the left of the image.

Unless, of course, the taller building on the right is a separate proposal!

·
reach for the skies
761 Posts
Haven't seen that proposal before, where exactly is it? Is it separate from UUJ/Royal Exchange developments?

·
Registered
425 Posts
That looks really impressive and quite different to anything that has been proposed for that immediate area of the city. By the look of it the Donegall Chambers building may also be ripped down and a new build built on top of the existing site directly behind the glass façade building (or maybe its just a bland render from the artist?).

·
Registered
148 Posts
BTW, all the Donegall's in Belfast have two ll's, after the family, rather than one, after the county.

Hillbillies and culchies don't know this, true McCooeys do.

·
22,043 Posts
That looks really impressive and quite different to anything that has been proposed for that immediate area of the city. By the look of it the Donegall Chambers building may also be ripped down and a new build built on top of the existing site directly behind the glass façade building (or maybe its just a bland render from the artist?).
No the chambers will remain, and rightly so. The small carpark opposite the church that used by the solicitors will be build on though.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm glad Donegall Chambers is to be kept- the height of it gives a proper feeling of urbanity that really emphasises that you've arrived in the city centre. And with a few dozen new residents the existing retail units like the fruit & veg and the barber shop will definitely benefit from more trade. All in all it's places like this and Castle Street that are well suited for high rise residential given that you're only 7 minutes walk away at most from corner shops, doctors, schools etc.

Problem is that judging from that render the five storey bit could easily turning out looking shite. The 15 storey bit (presumably on hold) looks much better though I give that white ground floor wall a few days grace before some left handed graffiti 'artist' sprays 'free marion price' slogans all over it

·
reach for the skies
761 Posts
Problem is that judging from that render the five storey bit could easily turning out looking shite. The 15 storey bit (presumably on hold) looks much better though I give that white ground floor wall a few days grace before some left handed graffiti 'artist' sprays 'free marion price' slogans all over it
:lol: too true.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 15 storey bit (presumably on hold) looks much better though I give that white ground floor wall a few days grace before some left handed graffiti 'artist' sprays 'free marion price' slogans all over it
There's one graffiti 'artist' who I'm a big fan of; I've no idea who they are but on a wall on the Antrim Road they sprayed 'Free Bernard Madoff NOW!'

It seems no one in that area realised it was a joke; it's been there for several years and it still hasn't been removed :lol:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There's one graffiti 'artist' who I'm a big fan of; I've no idea who they are but on a wall on the Antrim Road they sprayed 'Free Bernard Madoff NOW!'

It seems no one in that area realised it was a joke; it's been there for several years and it still hasn't been removed :lol:
His only crime was loyalty, sorry thievery.

I don't mind good graffiti- it wasn't sophisticated but the John Peel one at Bridge End was great until some jobsworth painted it out- probably the same eediot who thought it was better replacing the Woodstock George Best picture with this nonsense

I also wouldn't mind the political stuff either so much if the writing was stencilled and not crudely done with a spraycan or paintbrush.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
National Bank to become bakery and bar:

Some £700,000 is being ploughed in to the National Grande Cafe Bar, due to open in early September in the former National Bank building on High Street, and the artisan bakery and patisserie to be housed in the adjacent building.

A further announcement of up to 50 additional jobs is also expected in the autumn with the opening of a third new venue in the city by the Beannchor group, which already owns 50 hotels and pubs including The Merchant Hotel.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...n-new-bar-and-bakery-in-belfast-29401837.html

That's especially good news to see an old gem like the National Bank building being brought back to use. I wonder what the 'third venue' will be?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
National Bank to become bakery and bar:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...n-new-bar-and-bakery-in-belfast-29401837.html

That's especially good news to see an old gem like the National Bank building being brought back to use. I wonder what the 'third venue' will be?
Absolutely fantastic news. Interesting that the development is using both the National Bank building and the one next door to it- i thought the ground floor of it was occupied by a sports company or newsagent or something; haven't been past it in a while so perhaps it is now vacant.

I remember Bill Wosley had talked about developing a hotel out the back of the National Bank building, opening out onto Skipper Street; however, it seems unlikely that that would be the third project, given it is earmarked in the article for opening in the autumn.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know they were looking at doing an in-store patisserie at the Merchant a couple of years ago. Good news that they are doing it in a location that could do with more footfall.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
^^

Great read.

“We are working on the Dirty Onion, which is a fantastic listed building in Cotton Court, magnificent wood beamed building, grade a listed, only one of three in Ireland, which will be a traditional pub with craft ales and a big outdoor drinking area. A traditional music element and will have a restaurant there as well."
This must be the other scheme he is working on in the Cathedral Quarter, which was alluded to in the National Bank development. It sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Absolutely fantastic news. Interesting that the development is using both the National Bank building and the one next door to it- i thought the ground floor of it was occupied by a sports company or newsagent or something; haven't been past it in a while so perhaps it is now vacant.

I remember Bill Wosley had talked about developing a hotel out the back of the National Bank building, opening out onto Skipper Street; however, it seems unlikely that that would be the third project, given it is earmarked in the article for opening in the autumn.
Z/2013/0773/F
05/07/2013
Unit 6 River House 48-60 High Street Belfast BT1 2BE
Fit-out works to provide bakery/retail unit
NEW APPLICATION RECEIVED

Seems that Adjacent building wasn't quite what we all thought!!

1 - 20 of 210 Posts