SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Any movement on the plans for Buoy Park? Walking around there last night, barely any lights on, loads of rubbish left beside all the benches, was a little bit eerie.

·
22,045 Posts
Any movement on the plans for Buoy Park? Walking around there last night, barely any lights on, loads of rubbish left beside all the benches, was a little bit eerie.
In limbo while we await a new budget. Everything is pretty much ready to go but Streets Ahead Phase 3 needs the money allocation. Hopefully the next budget allows for that to happen, whether it's one from the Executive or the NI Civil Service and SoS.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's grim isn't it? Took visitors through it the other day en route to CQ in Saturday. There were a few wee hoods drinking around the Belfast Bikes rack. Not in keeping with whats going on around it all.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Ya, the city centre is a total graveyard during the week (at night). I wonder what tourists arriving into Belfast on a dark cold Monday evening think of the place?

·
reach for the skies
761 Posts
What is this 'neuf/TMN' thing being scrawled all around the city centre? Are we supposed to know what it means? Or care? There's so much of it. I'm confused as to how no one has been spotted yet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's a graffiti 'group'. They're self styled 'cultural police' and vandalise work that they think is 'merely' stencils instead of free hand 'genius'. They also defaced an actual free hand piece created by a very famous artist for Culture Night for some random druggie in their group who overdosed, who didn't even do any art, and they wanted to memorialise them (utterly pointlessly).

Sigh.

It's ridiculous drama and I hope they all sniff themselves to an Asylum instead of thinking they actually can call themselves 'artists' instead of that much more accurate word- vandals (or another one beginning with t)

·
reach for the skies
761 Posts
I'd no idea there was such a group. Would love to know what they think they're contributing to the city with messy scrawls and tags.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I cannot not agree more with the above. It really boils my piss to see through traffic down Hill Street on a Friday & Saturday evening. Absolutely no need for it.

What boils my piss even more is the state of the pavements from the weight of the cars and vans, transversing them. Always get a squirt of dirty water, ejaculating up & japing my footwear and or trousers, from the broken paving.

What I’d like to know is what the CQ BID scheme is doing to improve the situation, if anything at all?

In my opinion, the cleanliness of the CQ streets is deteriorating under the CQ BID management.

·
Registered
713 Posts
A glimpse at life on the crossroads of the Cathedral Quarter
Let's talk about CQ. I went for a stroll through Cathedral Quarter on Saturday afternoon with the missus and 7 month old daughter (after a week in Copenhagen, Hamburg and Berlin)... I should have known better.

We have a long way to go. The aforementioned cities and their locales are so chilled, effortless and welcoming. I know we constantly beat ourselves up by comparing ourselves to the continent, but it just highlights how tragic things are becoming in an area that we constantly champion as THE place to go for recreation, arts, nightlife and culture.

There is a serious issue brewing on Hill Street and environs, and that is the insidious creep of stag/hen (mostly hen) culture, the din of really loud, s**t music coming out of the Thirsty Goat, the expansion of the Willie Jack empire and taxis rolling down Hill Street to name but a few. It wasn't pleasant at all.

That's not to mention the female addict who cowped across the road outside that mess of the Waring Street hotel redevelopment with shrapnel going everywhere. I realise that is symptomatic of a wider social issue that needs to be addressed, but a metaphor for the place all the same.

I fear we have lost the opportunity to make it a the pleasant locale that was no doubt envisaged but clearly it is just becoming a massive lash up with a really unpleasant atmosphere, especially with the good weather bringing them all out.

Disappointing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm shocked BCC did not close Hill Street to through traffic after repaving it. It will be a mess in no time, the taxi companies must have enough influence the counsel off doing it unless there is a lot of noise made to push them out.

The other issues you raised I think are more down to the culture rather than CQ itself. Unfortunately Belfast and virtually every other UK city is full of people who go to drink for no other reason that to disgrace themselves then blame it on the drink.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't think the "other issues" can solely and lazily be attributed to culture (or at least without being capable of being addressed). The custodians of the area are feeding this culture, not controlling it.

In other towns and cities in the UK, there is anecdotal evidence that younger people in the 18 to 35 years old bracket (millennials if you prefer) are eschewing the pint guzzling and getting wrecked and being a bit more exacting about their social time. In Belfast, despite misplaced and draconian licensing laws which just exacerbate the problem rather than cure, the authorities are just compounding the problem by not exerting some control in the area.

Another thing that can't be attributed to the culture is is the noise of live one man bands... it's excruciating. They quite often end up a duel with the punters playing to a crescendo to make sure they can be heard over them (who in turn talk even louder) and on the vicious circle goes.

161 - 180 of 210 Posts