SkyscraperCity banner

801 - 820 of 919 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
It looks like the next development for CQ could be a residential scheme:

It can also be revealed that residential development is set to form a core part of future investment along the waterside, with a new apartment scheme due to make up the final portion of the City Quays scheme.

"We have one remaining waterfront site in our City Quays development, which we're looking to bring forward for potential private rental sector apartment opportunity," Mr O'Neill said.

"The private rental sector is a big emerging sector in other cities, particularly Manchester and Liverpool, but it has not yet had any projects take off in Belfast. We see an opportunity to provide a site for that and invest in an apartment block to meet demand in the private rental sector."

The proposed apartment scheme forms part of the overall Belfast Agenda, which calls for an additional 66,000 people to be living in the city by 2035.
Source: Irish news http://www.irishnews.com/business/2019/07/04/news/belfast-harbour-to-invest-up-to-35m-in-film-studios-expansion-1655410/

·
22,100 Posts
^^

Some other snippets from the Bel Tel article...

Belfast Harbour has said it plans to invest up to £50m in a high-rise, buy-to-let residential scheme next to the M3 at its City Quays site. A planning application for the project, which could feature up to 200 units, could be submitted by the end of the year.

The new residential project was among a series of major investments confirmed by senior officials at Belfast Harbour yesterday as they reported a 24% increase in spending to £52m during 2018 and committed £137m in future projects.

Among the new ventures in the pipeline is an expansion of the 45-berth mooring marina next to the Odyssey, which will soon double in size. Water taxis and a new pedestrian and cycle bridge next to the AC Marriott are also being considered as part of efforts to increase the connectivity between the Titanic and City Quays areas.
200 units would be a significant project. Obel has 233 apartments, so this new project could be a similar height.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Anyone seen this recent tweet from Belfast Harbour about the CQ development?

https://twitter.com/BelfastHarbour/status/1172081608528203776

There's not much info but it looks like there's a taller tower than CQ3, between the AC Marriott and M3 flyover, although can't imagine there's much space there. Also the design of CQ3 looks a little different and there's a footbridge connecting CQ to the Odyssey.

I like it, especially the height of the new tower, but wonder if this is an old render or an updated one?

·
22,100 Posts

·
COYS
1,706 Posts
Love it! Belfast Harbour going above and beyond with City Quays as per usual. Once completed it should be a genuine benchmark for similar scale European riverfront rejen projects. And again it's gonna be even more impressive for the city's riverscape if Sirocco also gets off the ground.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Will be interesting to see the revised City Quays master plan. As good as the waterfront stuff is, would be good to see the site in front of the multistorey developed as well as some frontage returning to Corporation Street.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Guess that's the benefit of not needing to borrow money to fund these developments. Wish Belfast Harbour would take over the Sirocco Works too as I can't see progress happening anytime soon under the current owners.

·
22,100 Posts
Guess that's the benefit of not needing to borrow money to fund these developments. Wish Belfast Harbour would take over the Sirocco Works too as I can't see progress happening anytime soon under the current owners.
Sirocco is beyond their holding, they are restricted to the area they have ownership of.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I thought Sirocco wasn't relying on borrowed money. Is it not financed from some middle East investment fund. I was assuming the issue was the group waiting for brexit to run its course

·
22,100 Posts
I thought Sirocco wasn't relying on borrowed money. Is it not financed from some middle East investment fund. I was assuming the issue was the group waiting for brexit to run its course
Yeah money is apparently coming from a Qatar-based investor and the office is not subject to a pre-let.

Until we hear from the company we shouldn't assume the worst.

801 - 820 of 919 Posts