SkyscraperCity banner

841 - 860 of 921 Posts

·
22,105 Posts
Is the construction still continuing? Scotland stopped all the construction activities but England didn't. I wonder how it is in Northern Ireland.
Depends on the company. The Ulster University site still has workers onsite.

Other developers are planning to resume but need to make some site changes to allow for social distancing.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just seen it in person, seems taller than the 73m quoted especially as it’s just the core compared to the Obel

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes all 16 stories by my count (low for a building of its height).

Stupid question, but I don’t know that much about construction, is the core pretty much the full height of the building or will the shell add more height?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There'll be another plant floor on top, housing the air conditioning and so on. You can see the equivalent floor in the CQ2 building, the recessed grey clad single storey on the roof.

As it's an office building, the floor heights are much larger than they would be in a residential building, hence the lower number of floors than you might expect in a 73m building.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wonder if this or Bedford square will try and usurp the other in height with a spire or another architectural. This one is planned to be the taller but it’s marginal and the tallest will be Northern Ireland’s tallest office building and buildings can be taller/shorter than planned height, eg obel which ended up 3m taller than the planned 85 metres on completion.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm glad construction of Bedford and CQ3 started before this Covid business as I think a lot of tech firms will be reassessing their options when it comes to offices. Hopefully Belfast won't be hit too hard as companies still need meeting space and teams to catch up at least once a week but I think working from home will be the norm going forward at least 50% of the time.

·
22,105 Posts
I'm glad construction of Bedford and CQ3 started before this Covid business as I think a lot of tech firms will be reassessing their options when it comes to offices. Hopefully Belfast won't be hit too hard as companies still need meeting space and teams to catch up at least once a week but I think working from home will be the norm going forward at least 50% of the time.
I'm returning to the office from mid-August on a phased basis. 2 day in one week and 3 the next and alternating. Prob be back full-time by early or mid-September.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My place is ramping up from now to 50% occupancy by the first week of September. Don't see it going beyond that for a while afterwards. My issue is that meeting rooms all have to comply with social distancing so a typical meeting room only holds about 20% of normal capacity. Without the benefit of being able to hold normal meetings, i don't see much point in going back to the office, beyond getting access to printing and so on.

841 - 860 of 921 Posts