SkyscraperCity Forum banner

BELFAST | City Quays | CQ4 | Residential | 76.3m | Approved & CQ5 | Mixed Use | App. Submitted

245K views 1K replies 86 participants last post by  belfastuniguy 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
City Quays

Well, what do I see here: shedfuls of that ubiquitous random panelling stuff accompanied of course by a de rigeur glass tower block. If you like this stuff, it'll no doubt make you feel nostalgic for the Pre-October-08-Crash era. They were doing this 10/15 years ago in Leeds. I'm not personally familiar with local architect's names, but it has all the hallmarks of yet another masterplan by a Fly-be architect. I'm I in Belfast or Jebel Ali?

#7 ·
Well, what do I see here: shedfuls of that ubiquitous random panelling stuff accompanied of course by a de rigeur glass tower block. If you like this stuff, it'll no doubt make you feel nostalgic for the Pre-October-08-Crash era. They were doing this 10/15 years ago in Leeds. I'm not personally familiar with local architect's names, but it has all the hallmarks of yet another masterplan by a Fly-be architect. I'm I in Belfast or Jebel Ali
The thing is Belfast is not Cannes or Monte Carlo, the sun shines about 4 days a year. What are we trying to achieve here, with Titantic Quarter etc it does look a bit much. The dark red brick looks well in a dull dark rainy city. i will take the glass tower, looks nice I wonder how tall it is. 40-50 storeys oh dear the flight path not allowed back to the drawing board!!!!!!

#9 ·
I think that this plan is due. This area will look empty when the obel and TQ begin to take shape and it is excellent to see a masterplan for Sailortown being put in place. The only thing I didn't like from one of the images was that TQ looks like a soviet housing estate accross the river. This will be like the sirocco quays, some early renders then more detailed images will come later as the scheme develops.

#10 ·
All quite reminiscent of many other proposals down the years for Sirocco, Queen's Quay, etc. More apartments? It'll be many years before anything's on the ground and I bet it'll look nothing like this.

However - I like the bridge, we do need more of these to link both banks of the Lagan.

#12 ·
Looks fabulous and much needed.

I don't think the bridge will be a problem for mooring ships. There is still loads of space along the side of the Odyssey and Clarendon side for ships. The bridge appears to connect in front of the main Odyssey complex, which is ample room for ships to once again moor there.

Will await more detailed renders, but has my support. Should look great.

#15 ·
What if Translink were to build a new huge 'central station' at the back of the GPO. Would it not be the most Central position for a station. Scale the current Central down to a halt called 'Maysfield'. The Dublin trains would leave from this new Central. Would it not be bang in the centre with Titanic quarter just across the river. The entrances could be spread between Dunbar link (maybe even a 1st floor covered walkway taking you over the Dunbar link and then you are only a stones throw from Royal Avenue) and an entrance at Donegall Quay and custom house Square. It could have loads of platforms etc. Of course if I had all the money it would be a Victorian style development with a huge hotel looking onto the road and platforms and a tall clock tower like Glasgow Central or St Pancras. Also the GPO would be demolished and an impressive corner doomed frontage looking onto to Custom House Square.

#19 ·
What if Translink were to build a new huge 'central station' at the back of the GPO. Would it not be the most Central position for a station.
I've always thought this area would be great for a large museum- possibly showing belfast's, and ni's, industrial past. It could front onto dunbar link opposite st annes square, and liven that whole area up. you could also have a rapid transport scheme running from the ulster museum to this new one and on to the titanic one- which would certainly be good for tourists at least.

Anyway... i relaise that i've gone ridiculously off topic lol. Agoodthing about this city quays scheme is that the river path from the obel to claredon dock would be opened up again- i remember from the tall ships that once you got to the obel, you had to take a large diversion inwards around the old seacat port before you actually got back to the river and the ships.

#16 ·
That sounds a little messy in terms of track alignment.

I would rather they build a fantastic modern station at Gt. Victoria St. Use the surface car parks and built more platforms. Make it a fantastic example of modern architecture.

However I doubt either is likely. I think the location of 'central' is a joke, but I think that will be improved once the developments around that area come to fruition. Then maybe once that happens transform it into a new modern design, inside and out.

#17 ·
I think it makes more sense to turn Great Victoria Street into large modern terminus as belfastuniguy says.

Translink over the years have wasted their money on modernising Central when it should have been invested in Gt. Victoria St. instead. To me it makes more sense to invest in a station that is a 5 minute walk from the City Hall than a station that is 15 walk minutes away!

#18 · (Edited)
A new railway station is planned for the area on Gamble street as part of the Belfast Metropolitan Transport Plan. It wont be a huge 'central station' though, you can see the location on the map below

http://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/policy/dev_plans/devplans_az/bmap_2015/bmap_district_proposals/bmap_belfast/bmap_belfast_library/bmap2015-02-001-belfast-city-centre.pdf

Stations in Belfast City Centre
5.29 The 2025 Strategy identifies two stations in Belfast city centre that should be
considered as opportunities in the longer term. These are:
♦ a new station in the Gamble Street area in the Cathedral quarter of the city
centre that should be developed as part of a larger public transport interchange;
and
♦ a new station and major public transport interchange replacing the existing Great
Victoria Street station and Europa bus station facilities as part of potential
redevelopment opportunities around Great Victoria Street and Grosvenor Road.
5.30 Both these options are contingent upon longer-term regeneration and development
proposals being brought forward and have not been included in the 2015 Plan.
Nevertheless, should circumstances arise implementation within the Plan period will
be sought.