SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
So plenty of activity in BCC at the moment, how many cranes are up in the city?

I've counted, roughly;

4x Ulster University Belfast Campus
1x McClintock Student Accommodation
2x Queen's University Biological Sciences Building
1x The Sandford
1x 200 - 202 Falls Road
1x Portland 88
2x Royal Victoria Maternity Hospital
1x The Embankment
1x Erskine House
1x Merchant Square
1x Chichester House
1x 123 York Street
1x 26 – 44 Little Patrick Street
1x FX Montgomery Street
1x Jurys Hotel extension

Total: 20

UPDATED: 23/10/18

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sounds about correct- not sure if the one on Adelaide Street is still up too. In the next 6 months, we will lose the Gallery and probably one at CQ, but should have at least 3 others up for student accommodation (College Court, Swanston Hall and one of the ones on York Street), one up for the Sandford apartments and one up for the new Hampton Hilton hotel. Certainly, it will be the most i can remember in the city.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sounds about correct- not sure if the one on Adelaide Street is still up too. In the next 6 months, we will lose the Gallery and probably one at CQ, but should have at least 3 others up for student accommodation (College Court, Swanston Hall and one of the ones on York Street), one up for the Sandford apartments and one up for the new Hampton Hilton hotel. Certainly, it will be the most i can remember in the city.
??

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
^^

That's the one. Also, whilst driving past it earlier, noticed a crane appearing on site at the former QUB Science Library on Chlorine Gardens.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I've counted, roughly;

3X Ulster University
2X City Quays
1X The Gallery Dublin Road
1X Student accommodation Dublin Road
2X Brunswick Sq hotel/student development
2X AllState NI HQ
1X Queen's University Biological Sciences Building
1x College Court Student accommodation

Total: 13
My sister was telling me that there is a severe shortage of tower crane, mobile crane & self-erecting tower crane operatives. Apparently some sites are on hold until they line up suitable operatives.

Same goes with finding general site workers. I can imagine the issue of finding suitable workers will only get more problematic as more and more sites start up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My sister was telling me that there is a severe shortage of tower crane, mobile crane & self-erecting tower crane operatives. Apparently some sites are on hold until they line up suitable operatives.

Same goes with finding general site workers. I can imagine the issue of finding suitable workers will only get more problematic as more and more sites start up.
Some highly skilled roles that may be hard to fill. Due to the lack of building over the past 8 or 9 years, anyone with these skills beforehand may have moved into a different industry, or else they may have relocated altogether. With that in mind, I wouldn't imagine there would have been a huge demand for alot of these roles, hence very few numbers have trained and been qualified for the roles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I've counted, roughly;

3X Ulster University
2X City Quays
1X The Gallery Dublin Road
2X AllState NI HQ
2x College Court Student accommodation

Total: 14
Another one up for College Court.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I've counted, roughly;

3X Ulster University
2X City Quays
0X The Gallery Dublin Road
2X AllState NI HQ
2x College Court Student accommodation

Total: 13
Updated

·
reach for the skies
760 Posts
Anyone going to be adding some skyline crane pics over the coming while? I imagine there'll be some potentially good shots especially next year.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Anyone going to be adding some skyline crane pics over the coming while? I imagine there'll be some potentially good shots especially next year.
Was out in the Castlereagh Hills at lunch, took a few shots over the city. Probably too high up to get any real impact, and given the distance some of them blend into the background a bit, but it's... something!

Belfast cranes 1
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

1, 2, 3: Ulster University
4, 5: Allstate
6, 8: City Quays
7: Sandford (it's grey and almost invisible!)

Belfast cranes 2
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

9: McClintock Street
10: Brunswick Street
11: Windsor House
12, 13: College Court

1 - 20 of 77 Posts