SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Having seen the Grand Central tower crane from a few locations now, I only wish the building would be that height when completed!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Grand Central's crane is the first luffing jib style tower crane used for construction in the city, and possibly the island.
Generally that style of crane is used for narrow constricted sites or where there are other cranes around. I can't think of any other tall buildings in Ireland that would have been built on that kind of site originally so I suspect you are right, at least not as the main crane on a tall building. I certainly don't ever remember seeing one in Belfast.

·
22,100 Posts
Total crane count is currently 24

Interactive map available here - https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Belfast_Crane_Count/Lmgu_NaQzG

I currently count 26 as there are 2 at the Royal Victoria Hospital, not sure what they're building there though.

The crane in that map counted for Concentrix is I think AllStateNI's second crane. I'll need to double check though

·
22,100 Posts
That's cool! Any Dublin version?
Not as far as I'm aware. The Belfast map was created by Gary Potter how owns and manages the FutureBelfast website that catalogues the various developments and proposals across Belfast

·
Registered
104 Posts
I see the blue tower crane at Maysfield has been changed - with the building nearly topped out why would they change the crane type.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think the reason it is being changed is that some wee scumbeg' set the cab of the crane on fire a few weeks ago.
Wow... taking the scumbaggery to new levels (literally). Da'spides must have got bored with trashing municipal bikes and water hydrants.

Just think about the thought process that goes through some pr*ck's pea brain that results in setting a cab of a crane on fire.... That really is something.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
22,100 Posts
But with big cities like New York at 18 cranes, or Chicago and LA around the mid 30's puts some perspective on our mini construction boom.
The value and scale of those NY developments are absolutely immense though. Take Hudson Yards for example...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Absolutely, not really a true comparison in scale, and New York is, or at least was having a property slump, but the headline number surprised me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some American comparison on crane counts:

http://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ry-for-2nd-year-in-a-row-and-lead-is-growing/

Caveats around i dunno how people here or there measure cranes, as in what is included or excluded.

But with big cities like New York at 18 cranes, or Chicago and LA around the mid 30's puts some perspective on our mini construction boom.
Portland is a comparable city to Belfast (weather, tech industry, city centre size, surface-level car parks), they have the same number of cranes too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Speaking of Portland, Portland 88 crane is going up right at this moment.

Also, anyone know what the deal is with the half a crane on the corner of Alfred Street and Ormeau Ave? It's been that way for a while

21 - 40 of 79 Posts