SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also, anyone know what the deal is with the half a crane on the corner of Alfred Street and Ormeau Ave? It's been that way for a while
And funnily enough, as soon as I mention it here, the next day the rest of the crane goes up. They have spies on here I tell you ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Anyone know what the crane count is in Belfast? Im pretty impressed with the amount of work up there.

As of December 1st Dublin had 80 in the city centre, that doesnt take into consideration any of the suburbs

·
22,100 Posts
Anyone know what the crane count is in Belfast? Im pretty impressed with the amount of work up there.

As of December 1st Dublin had 80 in the city centre, that doesnt take into consideration any of the suburbs
Currently 22 within the city. Doesn't count any in the Greater Belfast area.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A great comparison - you can see the relatively low amount of residential we are building quite clearly. Only 3 at time this survey was done

It's notable Leeds (which may be the only remotely closely relevant city to ours) has a huge surge in residential, it's even called out on the slides; 5 in developments there. Birmnigham has 13, and Manchester a mind boggling 41!!

Our most notable stat is the hotel rooms - nearly 1000 added this year alone.

And half our new office space comes from refurbishing old buildings - which as we've seen with Weaving Works can be a very good thing.

I've said before I think 2018 will be great seeing all these hotels and offices finally come 'online' at long last, but I hope that we see how the tourist industry, and citizens, react to all these new places first before we get another wave.

Recently there's been a few residential plans announced, so if they get into development that could bolster the numbers in that sector and maybe rebalance the growth into 2019.

·
22,100 Posts
^^

Yeah I expect residential to start seeing growth. Not pre-recession levels but an increase nevertheless and welcome at that. The hotel boom is the market responding to previous lacklustre investment. I don’t expect many new projects to be announced in 2018 as I think this current boom will satisfy the market. There’s a few projects already announced that will start such as The Waring and Lanyon Hotel.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Very excited about the Sirocco works (Belfast Waterside).

Can't wait for the new TQ pathway to open, landscaping around Caroline, The Great Light and the Titanic Pump House restoration. It's all going to be world class!

Hopefully we see movement on the Ormeau Park - Gasworks bridge, it will transform that area....

Hopefully more car lanes turned into cycle ways....

Hopefully clarity from the planners on Royal Exchange - the sooner the better.

More pubs and resturants opening in city centre!!

Less cars in the city centre...

More tourists, more cruise ships...

More and bigger ships coming into Harland & Wolff for refits.

More productions announced for the Titanic Studios.

More C-Series orders for Bombardier

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Not sure what the crane count is now??? But Dublin has just hit a new high of 109. Feels like a different planet down there now.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts