SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is really only from what the eye can see in the centre of the city, doesnt include cranes from way out the suburbs in dun laoghaire and cherrywood which has multiple cranes etc, truer extent would be 140 odd easily at this stage

Im not fully aware of the ratio of types of builds but i imagine the vast majority in the city is commercial, then student accom to a lesser degree and residential the further out you go like with Cherrywood where they are building a brand new town essentially, but that is only starting to build out of the ground now so it is all ahead of us

http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/masterplan/#

·
Registered
104 Posts
That’s gong to be an eyesore :eek:hno:
agree !!, one of the best sites for a tallish landmark building, multi storey car park shouldn't have got planning permission (development should have included underground parking with apts/offices), probably cause it was used as a temporary car-park for years. It even got money from the NI investment fund. Do we know what the car-park its going to look like?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Completely flys in the face of getting cars out of Belfast. The fact they received grant money for it is an even bigger disgrace. How does this create jobs or boost the economy other than short term construction.

·
22,045 Posts
^^

It’s not about getting cars out of Belfast, it’s more to do with the council wanting to reduce the number of surface car parks in the city centre.

I don’t have an issue with it being a car park, a multi-storey on the edge of the city centre isn’t a bad thing. I am however depressed it’s going to be utterly awful. Absolutely no attempt was made to make it look interesting or incorporate some creative cladding/facade.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks big what’s it like compared to the one at Bedford?
Great Victoria Street will be 12 floors of offices compared to 17 floors at Bedford Square - so I imagine the crane is a good bit shorter.

I only noticed it when I was nearby, you can't see it from further away like the Bedford one

·
Registered
294 Posts
There's been a tower crane up in North Belfast for a while now but I couldn't figure out what the development was. I visited today and found it.

It's near the junction of the Limestone Road and Antrim Road next to Cassidy's Bar.

Newington Housing Association occupied 2 x terraced houses as their offices. These have been demolished along with a derelict house next door and a new 3 storey office building for NHA is being built to replace them. The design is intended to match the previous buildings.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts