SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
If they would just paint the roof of the North stand in white - it would look miles better in those shots.

It was a very successful night - apart from the security alert which angered me greatly but hopefully somebody can be caught and castrated for that.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I would love to see that stand rebuilt to match the rest, but it would require the purchase of about 40+ properties at about 80 grand a pop. Not cheap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would love to see that stand rebuilt to match the rest, but it would require the purchase of about 40+ properties at about 80 grand a pop. Not cheap.
If there was ever a successful all UK world cup bid that type of money would suddenly be available I'd imagine...

Would look so much better with a new North stand and proper corners filled in. Hopefully increase capacity significantly as well. Always wondered why IFA weren't a bit more ambitious and went with 25k capacity expandable to 30k. Especially as this would open so many more doors for Europa league etc.

It would be interesting to know if new build parts of the ground were designed to allow for future expansion?...

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Had a walk through Botanic earlier and ArtsEkta have started building the marques and stage for the Belfast Mela festival this weekend in Botanic Gardens, good bit of the place now being cordoned off.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Though that’s the DMA’s in that shot who were also great. CHSQ great venue if only they could sound the sound system out.
Just out of interest what's the problem with the sound system? I guess given the proximity of the Square to a couple of big apartment blocks, the council probably have enforced tough noise restrictions on the concerts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just out of interest what's the problem with the sound system? I guess given the proximity of the Square to a couple of big apartment blocks, the council probably have enforced tough noise restrictions on the concerts.
Have found the quality poor at previous gigs but on Monday night it also completely cut off on about 4 separate occasions during Kasabians set. Not sure if that was influenced by the rain or not.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Honest opinions on Culture Night....?

The early pre-sundown stuff was good and chilled, loads of families and tourists enjoying themselves - amazing to see. However post 9/10pm was a bit rough (especially up around Royal Avenue, Garfield St). Far too much street drinking (I mean carryout cans/bottle/buckfast type stuff) and too many groups of pissed teenagers roaming around screaming their heads aff...

I sound like an old person or a Nolan listener..

Also far too many people just dumping rubbish (bottles, cans, plastic beer cups, takeaway wrappings) wherever the **** they want. The city is a stinking mess tonight :eek:hno:. What culture is that exactly? Pig shit laziness culture? #binIt #loveYourCity #respectTheEnvironment #takeItHome

·
Registered
757 Posts
I haven't been to CN several years, but even then it was just beginning to get too popular for its own good.

There are obviously loads of individuals and organisations in the arts community who have the skills needed to organise a huge event, lots of local businesses who want to provide venues, and many thousands of people who want to be involved.

So I don't understand why there is not a smaller version of this several times per year. Anyone know?

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
I'll be honest, it was pretty chilled early on and Cathedral Quarter was especially busy by about 8.30 with a good buzz and lots going on. But it seemed to go downhill fast.

A few crowds of typical hoods out to cause trouble, particularly bad outside the Whig with a group of drunk guys shouting sectarian and homophobic abuse, directed at a street performer at one point.

Royal Avenue was also bad later on, so much street drinking, crowds of intoxicated teens falling everywhere and you could've gotten high just standing near Bank Square. Loads of littering and hardly saw any police presence/foot patrol. Also, noticed quite a few irate drivers moving traffic cones and 'road closed' signs to defiantly get around. Left about 9.30 and was pretty relieved.

Seems to have become an excuse for 'anything goes' kind of street party. Agree that it's probably gotten too popular for its own good. Maybe spread it out over a weekend or have smaller versions throughout the year. Either that or it needs better policed in future.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Only really got a proper walk around early on, and it was pretty good, tho I'm not a fan of crowds. I went into Belfast Cathedral for the first time for a look around and was very impressed with the interior. I recommend you have a look if you haven't been before.

Then went for dinner and when I left the restaurant to walk home I saw some other less desirable aspects of Belfast "culture", ie. excessive drinking, rough looking people, small pools of water on the pavement, buckfast bottles, vomit... :eek:hno:

It is what it is. One thing I've learned in life is that it's a costly and usually misguided effort to try and force people to change. However, I do think the police should take more action against the worst drunken behaviour.

More smaller scale nights like that may be a good idea as mentioned above.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It's gotten way out of hand and it has become an excuse for people to get themselves absolutely hammered in the name of Culture....

The on-street drinking needs to be cut back completely. Too many teenagers on the street knocking back carryout Vodka and Buckfast and barely any police around to stop them. I don't mind pubs having beer gardens or seating directly outside or even having large areas such as Custom House Square or City Hall dedicated to controlled on-street drinking, but selling booze on mass and then allowing teenagers to wander all over the city with drink on them is simply not on. What might work in some European Cities clearly doesn't work here....

I also witnessed homophobia too. Two fellas causally holding hands walking down Rosemary St and a group of fairly well dressed men started jeering and shouting at them. Felt like phoning the police, but the PSNI where nowhere to be seen as usual. Also witnessed the fire juggler/street performer guy outside the Whig being abused during his performance late on. Disgraceful stuff.

Early on (pre-sundown) Culture Night is brilliant and chilled with families and diversity, but it turns nasty very quickly.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
There are obviously loads of individuals and organisations in the arts community who have the skills needed to organise a huge event, lots of local businesses who want to provide venues, and many thousands of people who want to be involved.

So I don't understand why there is not a smaller version of this several times per year. Anyone know?
Agreed.

I walked through it around 5.30 and it was pleasant enough, people behaving and plenty of police around.

I live in the middle of it so it was a noisy night but you get use to it. I do agree with the concerns regarding screaming drunk teenagers and the fact it’s too big and crowded now. I have no idea why they have that shitty wrestling in St. Anne’s Square either.

It seems it’s the only time some ‘cultured’ people actually come into the city to partake in some culture. Smaller and regular events throughout the year would be a good move to make while keeping CN as a bigger event.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had the nipper in tow, so we cleared off about 7 pm, but it was fairly pleasant at that point. Seemed to be just warming up. In saying that, I felt that the last two years weren't just as good as previous and it's becoming a bit of a victim of its own success and not quite the same since Adam Turkington left his post. I see CNB getting a fair bit of grief for allowing a Lexus promotional stand along Hill Street thereby obscuring the Duel by Candlelight street art piece.

Disappointing to hear what goes on after sundown. Couldn't believe the amount of 'older' (20/30's age group) people who looked fairly respectable who were necking the Buckfast, like it was some sort of avant-garde, trendy, statement. Reports of litter lying around buoy park until this morning is grim as well.

Bridge Street seems to have a bit of a problem. A friend of mine (Belfast native with Hong Kong parents got racist abuse there recently) and I've never felt like it's a particularly pleasant locale. Kenwright's hotel round the corner won't help.

I have suggested for some time now, in various forms of feedback that more smaller events should take place over the course of the year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have attended Culture Night every year and thought this was the best year yet, and I was one of those drinking in the streets. I lived in Madrid for years and Culture Night very much reminds me of any of the district fiestas which had a very similar set up.

The balance of family orientated events during the day and a more party atmosphere in the evening was perfect, and I personally did not see any anti-social behaviour other than people drinking.

Two big improvements which are needed, in order to tackle some of the issues that have been identified in comments, are portaloos throughout the city centre so that people are not forced to pee in the streets. I went in to the Oh Yeah Centre to use the toilets and they were queued to the main bar, which was ridiculous. On the walk back from Biggest Weekend and AVA earlier in the year I was really impressed that both had dotted portaloos on the exits from the venue and along the road - this is responsible and should be enforced for all events.

Secondly, they should have further bin provision. I brought a bag as I hate rubbish being thrown on the ground, but a lot more bins were required for that amount of people being in the city centre all at once.

It's great that we have large, non-sectarian and inclusive events such as Culture Night, I have thought for a while they should do an event each season, but from memory they nearly lost their funding last year or the year before so I'm not sure if they could fund more events.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yea i think the old staff left for they realised the monster they created. I suppose it started as a quiet celebration of the artist community in Belfast. If its turned into an Iberian street party vibe that's great, but not what it originally was.

But notice, there are far fewer artists actually there i began to notice a few years back- some prominent artists in the city won't touch it with a barge pole now for heckling and crowds. And Lexus promotionals, which again is fine, but not what it started out as.

Maybe artists could organise a fringe festival on the Saturday or weekend after. lol.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Bridge Street seems to have a bit of a problem. A friend of mine (Belfast native with Hong Kong parents got racist abuse there recently) and I've never felt like it's a particularly pleasant locale.
It's terrible. I was cycling down Laganbank Rd yesterday and got a load of abuse from a group of about 10-15 teenagers. Saw them again up at the Odyssey kicking Belfast Bikes and screaming their heads off. Despite all the CCTV and security around the Quays, police are nowhere to be seen. A complete disgrace. :eek:hno:

61 - 79 of 79 Posts