SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
You definetly could not build on the north forshore due to the rubbish and methane but my suggestion is reclaiming the area between the docks and the old rubbish dump with quarried stone which can be build on immediatly. It would also keep the quarrying industry tick over until the end of the recession and create high quality industrial or commercial land
You definately can build on landfill, as I have carried out a number of projects directly adjacent to the current landfill site on Dargan Road. The foundations become very expensive and even hardstanding surfaces around buildings have to be piled to eliminate differential settlement. The opposite side of Dargan Road was basically the same landfill but possibly capped a few decades back.

If you drive around some of the developments put up in the 80's on the reclaimed land (basically landfill) you may still see the numerous ramps constructed over the years as the ground surrounding the piled buildings settles away. This creates a lot of problems for drainage as it can fracture below the building and start flowing in the wrong direction.

Another difficulty with building on the landfill so close to the sea is the ground level fluctuation with the tides. We found that even piles driven 20-30m to bedrock still rose & fell with the sea level.

As well as the poor gound, a gas membrane needs to be installed as well as a system of venting pipes below ground floors to carry the methane away.

So definately not impossible, but more complicated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive worked with the piles around the docks and they dont even put them down to bedrock just hard clay usually at 18 to 22 metres around the city centre and docks. As regards installing membranes and venting gas it is theoretically possible but to get all that in below a stadium and buildings would involve digging alot of the rubbish out again because by the time you have your membrane or layers of membrane and a substansial amount of quarry dust to protect it on either side you,ve used alot of underground space. Putting gas membranes and venting in for a house is a big enough job but to do it right for a massive civil work like a 30,000 capacity stadium would be unbelieveable. Even the carparks, roads and sewers would have to be piled and supported on slabs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ha ha ha lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Waste treatment plant

Belfast households were sent information about a new waste treatment facility to be built on the North Foreshore, with two options, an incinerator or a mechanical biological treatment plant.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/

The EFW (Energy from Waste) incinerator:
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/whatisEFW.asp

and the MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) plant:
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/whatisMBT.asp

The information packs had a questionnaire asking which option householders prefer. I'm leaning towards the MBT option.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

·
22,114 Posts
Waste treatment plant

Belfast households were sent information about a new waste treatment facility to be built on the North Foreshore, with two options, an incinerator or a mechanical biological treatment plant.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/

The EFW (Energy from Waste) incinerator:
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/whatisEFW.asp

and the MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) plant:
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/wastetreatment/whatisMBT.asp

The information packs had a questionnaire asking which option householders prefer. I'm leaning towards the MBT option.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

The problem with MBT is that waste that can not be treated needs to be dumped into landfill or burned.....so kinda defeats the purpose.

I'd prefer a EFW. We have rather good recycling programmes already, with great assistance coming from Bryson House. So in my opinion the EFW facility would be better. They need not look FUGLY as well, that EFW plant in the Isle of Man looks interesting.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have no objections, in fact we don't really have a choice. This town needs to clean up its act, or the EU fines will push rates up beyond the already exorbitant levels.

I would like to see the council move just as quickly with the Giant's Park scheme though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ambitious park plan loses bridge

On the BBC website today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7920418.stm

Ambitious park plan loses bridge

The park is to be built on a former landfill site

Belfast City Council has lost out on EU money to help build a £7m M2 motorway footbridge to its planned Giant's Park.

The council applied to the European Union's Peace 3 programme for £5.8m but this was turned down.

The park is to be built on a former landfill site on the northern shore of Belfast Lough.

Councillors hope the park could become the site of a new stadium and sports village developed by two soccer clubs, Crusaders and Newington.

The scheme proposed by the clubs includes a 4,200-seater stadium, along with other pitches for a variety of sports, players accommodation, a hotel and cinema and other commercial elements.

'Shared space'

Mark Langhammer of Crusaders FC's development team said: "I think our proposal is both commercially viable and it meets the community's needs in terms of shared space.

An artist's impression of the footbridge which lost out on funding
"We hope to be back to the council with firmed-up proposals and a governance structure within four to six weeks."

Newington FC manager Eamon McCarthy said the site was ideally located for his club's catchment area in north Belfast.

"We've lost our current pitch and we've got 13 teams with a lot of kids involved, so if we don't get these facilities the club could go to the wall," he said.

In 2007, the Giant's Park project missed out on £25m in funding when the National Lottery's Living Landmarks scheme instead backed the Connswater Community Greenway in east Belfast.

DUP councillor Nelson McCausland said he was disappointed that the council had lost out on funding for its footbridge plan but the soccer clubs would be a great anchor tenant for the park.

"The council has set aside £11m for infrastructure work, road access and other services onto the site," he said.

"This is a a great economic development opportunity, not just for north Belfast but for the entire city."

Alban Maginness of the SDLP said: "It's a wonderfully balanced cross-community scheme which involves both amateur and professional football, and it will advance the interests of sport in Belfast as a whole."

UUP councillor Jim Rodgers said: "I know within the parks and leisure committee there's a great deal of support for us doing something on the north foreshore to make it a shared space for everyone in the city and the country."

·
Registered
106 Posts
On the BBC website today:

[Belfast City Council has lost out on EU money to help build a £7m M2 motorway footbridge to its planned Giant's Park.
[/URL]
£7M construction cost for a bridge of this statue doesn't sound to expensive. Wonder if a private consortium could go halfers with the council to foot the bill - I'm sure money could be recuperated by car-park charges

·
Registered
149 Posts
£7M construction cost for a bridge of this statue doesn't sound to expensive. Wonder if a private consortium could go halfers with the council to foot the bill - I'm sure money could be recuperated by car-park charges
They will find the £7m from somewere.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
"does anyone happen to know of any further developments with this scheme and if it has been given a rough timeframe from start to finish? have plans been submitted for this project or is it still at the drawing board?"

DougieRJ

It'll.be.years.away.

I.think.aspects.of.GP.are.good.Kids.playground.Foot.ball.field.Rock.concert.place.

I'd.rather.there.were.more.buildings.planned.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Do.we.need.a.park.of.220.acres?..:)

·
22,114 Posts
Do.we.need.a.park.of.220.acres?..:)

That's not the size of the Park itself.

The park itself is much smaller. That area also includes the business park, waste management facilities, sporting pitches and the large outdoor entertainment area.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts