SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
A proposed film studios complex comprising four buildings; (1) Production (37,450 ft2); (2) Stage 01 & Stage 02 (66,000 ft2); (3) Stage 03 (45,000 ft2); Workshop 01, 02 & 03 (46,170 ft2).
Looks great. Though with all due respect to the very talented people involved, I don't get the appeal of film production in NI unless there are some incentives being offered? Why choose Belfast over say Pinewood or Elstree in London? Are we undercutting the production facilities in England?

·
22,043 Posts
Looks great. Though with all due respect, I don't get the appeal of film production in NI unless there are some incentives being offered? Why choose Belfast over say Pinewood in London? Are we undercutting the production facilities in England?
All film locations offer incentives, HM Treasury offers tax breaks to all filming in the UK.

As for the attraction you need to direct that question to HBO, Universal, Pathé and many more. I'd assume the very high quality studio space, access to varied filming locations across NI and an established and professional support crew and post production infrastructure.

You may not 'get the appeal', but those that actually commission and produce TV and film production seem to.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I get the appeal of Northern Ireland but at the end of the day these production companies care only about the bottom line.

Similar high quality production facilities exist in abundance all over England and Europe. I can only speculate NI is offering these facilities at a very competitive rate. Not a criticism.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yea, studio space issues specifically is what won Game of Thrones to NI as opposed to Glasgow.

Otherwise locations and cheapness aren't really vastly different from the North of England or Scotland. I think in understanding how the industry took off here we shouldn't overlook NI Screen. It provides direction and lobbying power to the local industry, and got the message out early, first mover advantage basically.. For once Belfast was ahead of the game in a strategic sense, and is reaping the benefits.

·
22,043 Posts
North Foreshore Studios: Construction begins on £20m film complex in Belfast

Work has started on new £20m film studios for Belfast, after the building contract was awarded to a Northern Ireland firm. It is being funded by Belfast Harbour and is due to be completed late this year. Newry building firm O'Hare and McGovern said the project, at North Foreshore in the city's docks, will support 200 jobs during construction.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Banned
467 Posts
Do you think this will impact the studio expansion planned for TQ?
I know they seem to be struggling to raise the $$$ to progress on it (either that or they are just extremely slow at building anything), but do you think this will make things more difficult due to the increased competition by two sets of studios?
I hope not. But I suspect that this is partly being driven with anticipated reduction in corporation tax.

2 huge studios in Belfast, in a country with low corporation tax, assuming filming permits are cheap and great scenery would attract a number of productions.

Not to mention these studios could have a number of uses. Gig venue?

·
Banned
467 Posts
I'd also hope that local colleges and universities will start targeting this sector with courses specific to film production - costume design, make up art, camera work, media production etc....

·
Registered
832 Posts
They look a lot better than the paint hall or whatever its called in TQ.

I wish they had of re-clad the whole building when they renovated the big doors. I can't see it happening anytime soon unless its included if they ever progress with the TQ studios. I don't see it happening though.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Indeed. Seeing as the original aspiration for the site was along the lines of somewhere people can be proud of and everyone can visit and so on, a fancy golf course available to rich members and golf tourists hardly fulfills that.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts