SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what is happening to Windsor House? For last couple of years there’s been a green mesh on the end facades which suggest its being renovated inside? I read elsewhere that it’s been bought to be developed into luxury apartments. Is this true?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anybody know what is happening to Windsor House? For last couple of years there’s been a green mesh on the end facades which suggest its being renovated inside? I read elsewhere that it’s been bought to be developed into luxury apartments. Is this true?
This is the last I heard about it.
There were the rumours of plans to make it significantly taller, blocked by the height restrictions in the area. I haven't heard much since then.

·
reach for the skies
764 Posts
According to the futurebelfast website, bidding was taking place over summer for redevelopment options of Windsor House, including refurbishment for office accommodation, conversion to hotel, residential or student accommodation. Apparently 10 offers had been made when bidding closed last month so hopefully something will happen in the near future? Even a nice reclad would improve the building I think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i hope they do re-clad it, as its terribly out of date, but i think that turning it into a hotel is the better option than office space. be good to see the plans to see what they have drawn up for it

·
reach for the skies
764 Posts
I think if they're planning a 4-star hotel conversion it will definitely need some sort of reclad to look the part?

·
22,299 Posts
Would be a good location for Belfasts first Skybar.
I seriously hope they do have something like that, be a shame to have the upper floors reserved solely for rooms. Be nice to have a cocktail bar or maybe a roof garden. Be interesting to see what they have planned.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would have bought it and turned it into a private hospital/clinic. Maybe NI's first Nuffield Health hospital.

·
22,299 Posts
I would have bought it and turned it into a private hospital/clinic. Maybe NI's first Nuffield Health hospital.
The private hospitals we already have are just about staying in business. Kingsbridge and the Ulster Clinic provide more than enough capacity for Belfast's private health needs. The Ulster Clinic does need a refresh though, looking a little tired but the care is still far superior to the NHS.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The private hospitals we already have are just about staying in business. Kingsbridge and the Ulster Clinic provide more than enough capacity for Belfast's private health needs. The Ulster Clinic does need a refresh though, looking a little tired but the care is still far superior to the NHS.
Kingsbridge is getting a massive extension/refurb done to it soon, encompassing basically everything right down to the back road into the DVA Centre/Boucher

Only the funeral home (yellow box) haven't sold their building/land to them yet

·
22,299 Posts
Aye I've seen work progressing with that, hence my earlier comment. Private health provision in Belfast is already well catered for. Although I think your map is a bit off, the houses alongside Warnocks are to become new townhouses.

http://epicdocs.planningni.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?uri=2158951&ext=PDF

Planning was approved in April 2014. The extension to Kingsbridge is not as large as that red area.

·
22,299 Posts
I think if they're planning a 4-star hotel conversion it will definitely need some sort of reclad to look the part?
Just seen this.

It depends on what style they go for. The Radisson Blu Royal in Copenhagen wasn't reclad, it's exterior is still very much of its era but even then it's more attractive than Windsor House IMO.

I don't think Hastings will go down the same route though as the Copenhagen hotel plays to Danish design strenghts and that's something that has yet to be incorporated to any significant degree in hotels here. It's not to everyone's taste

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'd be pretty happy if Windsor House was re-clad as per the above example. It just looks like a mess at the minute, ideally they should strip it right back to the bone like they did the library at Queens, although I think that's being too optimistic.

1 - 20 of 497 Posts