Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thats a really short time frame. I take it the main structure of the existing building will remain intact with a new facade and two additional floors. Or is the target date of 2019 given by the same person would did the UU estimate?

·
22,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^

Pretty much. Shell being retained with rear and roof extension as well as a new glass and corten steel facade.

Timing may be off as planning approval hasn’t been granted yet and could be based on the previous design.

·
22,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Agreed once the Boots building on Royal Avenue gets its face lift there wont be many buildings within close proximity to City hall that make me want to vomit. The Housing executive offices would be next on my kill list.
I would also add on the HSCB building on Linenhall Street. A ghastly minecraft-esque dump with absolutely no street interaction at all.

·
reach for the skies
764 Posts
And the ugly 80's looking building on the corner of Donegall Place (with Nationwide on the ground floor.) Talk about prominent! I always think it looks really bland in photos taken around the City Hall, especially when compared with the likes of Robinson & Cleaver building.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Le Yawn

Actually to be fair, when up on Cafe Parisien's balcony it was a great way to see the triumvirate of Grand Central, Erskine (well, craning one's neck) and this building.

It will look good, and I always applaud keeping office space within the immediate vicinity of City Hall.

I just again turn to our prophet and saviour Max Keiser, and a few economic indicators, to say even if this comes to fruition it'll join plenty of others as being at best partially occupied. I don't see how any can ignore reality and the signs.

Form and function are part and parcel of a building - let's hope there's some magical naively successful outcome of Brexit to make this building buzzing and fully occupied. Instead of half finished when a recession rocks up on our doorstep

·
Registered
587 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts