SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redevelpment of the old girl started back in early July with the North Stand roof pannels being stripped off.

8th July 2010:

23rd July 2010:

I took these photos while i was over at it renewing my season ticket:

Roof panels are all off:

Health and Safety required the moats the be filled in and engress allowed to the pitch at both the Kop and North Stands.

Gaps are cut in the moat walls:

17th August 2010:

By the end of September the Railway Stand, a feature of the Windsor Park landscape for 80 years, will be no more. The demolition squad will have done its job creating a platform for temporary seating to be put in place prior to international matches, both here and in front of the South Stand, until such times as a new Railway Stand – perhaps with shop and office accommodation – will arise as phase one of the redevelopment of ‘the Park’.

Many will be happy to see the demise of the stand which was ‘decommissioned’ four years ago and has since become an eyesore. Seating for over 600 supporters in the form of concrete terracing under the roof was put in place in the mid 60’s.

The roof of the stand is known worldwide throughout the construction industry as the ‘Belfast Roof’. Prior to the advent of cheap steel systems this type of roof was the most economical way of providing a clear span roofing of sheds and warehouses. So there you have it – the railway viewing area was no more than a shed in those days.

The roof initially provided cover on the south side and was moved in 1929 to its current position to allow for the development of a new South Stand designed by one of the best stadium architects of the day, Archibald Leitch at a cost in today’s currency of around £2 million.

The wooden terrace section of the South Stand is a remnant of this once modern stand. But times have moved on, and facilities in Irish League football have lagged behind and are now facing major difficulties meeting not only health and safety standards but also UEFA and Disability Discrimination legislation. Current safety legislation regarding fire risk rightly puts people first and seated stands with wooden structures are deemed to be a ‘high risk’, requiring evacuation time of two and a half minutes to clear the stand.

Linfield FC has been working closely with experts in the field and will be upgrading fire management systems to meet the requirements of the Safety of Sports Grounds (NI) Order. From the beginning of September supporters will find the capacity of the South Stand reduced from 2700 to just less than 1700. Some areas of the stand, depending on their distance from exits, will be cordoned off and inaccessible. Gangways in some areas will be widened and there will be additional forward egress onto the terrace and pitch. The loss of seats will be upsetting to all and in particular to those supporters who have their favourite seating area but it is unavoidable under the legislation.

We are about to lose one of a few remaining examples of a ‘Belfast Roof’ in Ireland and some capacity in the ‘Home Stand’ but the upside will be an improved look to the Park and better safety for supporters during what is a transitional period to a modern stadium.

Dr. Cameron Ramsey - Linfield Trustee

http://linfieldfc.com/latestnews.asp?nid=5720

21st August 2010:

Railway Stand demolition:

New roof pannels on the North Stand:

I'll keep updating this thread as things happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, great thread. Just wondering the situation re the floodlights and viewing lounge. I assume temporary ones will be in place when the new East Stand is being built, will/can they put them into the Kop and North Stands and get rid of the old pylons? Will the viewing lounge not likely have to come down as well when the new East Stand is ready to be built or will it stay in place until after it is built?

Also any idea of what size of temporary seating they have in mind?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, great thread. Just wondering the situation re the floodlights and viewing lounge. I assume temporary ones will be in place when the new East Stand is being built, will/can they put them into the Kop and North Stands and get rid of the old pylons? Will the viewing lounge not likely have to come down as well when the new East Stand is ready to be built or will it stay in place until after it is built?

I have no idea yet, but as things progress it shouldnt be too hard to estimate how many seats will be put in.

The Railway Stand held around 700 seats.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A temporary stand like the one being bult at Bloomfield Road could add exactly 2500 seats at the Railway End, being built on a podium matching the area of the Stand and Terrace.

Viewing Lounge/Social Club and South Stand are the red blocks:

·
Registered
242 Posts

Floodlights? They look like drench lights to me (you can tell by the angled head on the top of the pylon), they had very similar lighting at the Goldstone Ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That would certainly look good, they should be able to fit (at least?) 1000 in front of the S.stand to offset that lost with the section closed off. Having fans closer to the pitch should help the atmosphere no end in the short term.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Great to see Windsor Park being developed. Northern Ireland have the best home fans out of the home nations by a mile.

What are the plans for the ground? Is this the long term solution now? I understand a proposed stadium at the Maze fell through?

·
Registered
103 Posts
A temporary stand like the one being bult at Bloomfield Road could add exactly 2500 seats at the Railway End, being built on a podium matching the area of the Stand and Terrace.

]
A two tier stand to match the Kop stand would look better at the Railway stand - how many seats does the Kop stand hold?

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
1,037 Posts
It is a total fucking disgrace that NI have not been given some lottery money to build a 30000 al seater purpose built stadium for their national team a la the millions given to Wembley!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is a total fucking disgrace that NI have not been given some lottery money to build a 30000 al seater purpose built stadium for their national team a la the millions given to Wembley!
I seem to recall that the lottery funding people were 'open' to the prospect but that the application would need to be made by the assemby and appropriate bodies.

The problem is you can't give money to 1 sport without the others complaining, hence the Maze plan, which was never going to work. Ulster have no intention of moving from Ravenhill and were merely suggesting they might play some games at Maze, GAA were less than enthusiastic as they have excellent facilities of their own. The main problem of course is the incompatibility of the sports. GAA pitches are much larger and would greatly detract from the atmosphere at football/rugby games.

There's also been some news reports that the proposed 20 odd million for redeveloping Windsor won't be forthcoming either.

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
1,037 Posts
The main problem of course is the incompatibility of the sports. GAA pitches are much larger and would greatly detract from the atmosphere at football/rugby games.
Agreed, those six nations matches at Croke Park were an absolute disaster weren't they?

;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreed, those six nations matches at Croke Park were an absolute disaster weren't they?

;-)
We're not talking about building croke park though. We're talking about a 20/30K stadium, where the distance to the pitch will be far more noticeable.

Rugby pitch at Croke park

Now it isn't a huge problem in an upper tier, but for the folks near the front at the bottom it wasn't the best experience. For a football match you are talking about the stands at each goal end being at least 20 meters from the stands. It's a long way if you place that at Windsor Park for instance (bad example I know).

I think we could get away with building a stadium for football and rugby, and giving the GAA an appropriate amount of funding to spend on whatever facilities they feel the need to in NI. I don't think it is justified though for all the use it would get.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts