SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
£250m children's hospital for Belfast announced

Northern Ireland Finance Minister Simon Hamilton has announced that a new children's hospital is to be built in Belfast.

The £250m facility will replace the existing hospital on the Royal site in Belfast.

The announcement was made as part of a reallocation of unspent funds, mainly from the stalled A5 road project.

The Department of Health has been allocated £52m, £15.5m of which is to go towards the new hospital. It is expected to be completed by 2020/2021.

The department has also been allocated £14m to address waiting lists.

Mr Hamilton said he had recently visited the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children and was "shocked and ashamed" by the conditions.

Building on the new hospital could begin next year.

Health Minister Edwin Poots said the money would help provide services fit for the 21st century for children.

"A replacement regional children's hospital is a major project that I have been keen to take forward, particularly as parts of the current facilities are nearly 100 years old," he said.

"Securing this additional funding from the executive provides me with the opportunity to move this much needed project forward to ensure that our children will receive their care and treatment in a modern paediatric environment."

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
New images available. Let's hope this project isn't plagued by the issues facing the new children's hospital in Dublin or those experienced by the RVH Critical Care building.

Images from FutureBelfast

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I find the RVH site such a confusing, complicated and sprawling mess. Are truly high rise hospitals possible? Could we have built a 30 to 40 storey tower and put everything inside that? Thus reducing the sprawl.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find the RVH site such a confusing, complicated and sprawling mess. Are truly high rise hospitals possible? Could we have built a 30 to 40 storey tower and put everything inside that? Thus reducing the sprawl.
It is a mess but these new developments are somewhat addressing that. Short of demolishing everything and starting afresh I think these new interconnected buildings are a good approach and site management is improving with each new building and clearance of the old.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
High rise is never a good idea for a hospital - in terms of moving patients and in cases of emergency (fires etc) and if you needed to get to different floors quickly for crash codes

The upper floors of the building at RVH are still off limits due to structural issues - either wholly or partially related to fire exits. Very sad and frustrating that the builders deliberately did a terrible job again after a similar issue in a previous upgrade in the city hospital I believe

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Seems to be 12 floors and from ground level 56.4m tall assuming numbers signify mm in diagram.
This is likely not exact as building is built on slope.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Interesting to note that the critical care’s height at 63m includes this underground bit , so going with that this is a 68.637m building

1 - 20 of 22 Posts