SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Have to have a look through it and give feedback. I like the idea though of rebuilding Smithfield Market so it resembled the original 'square' that existed before it was burnt to the ground during the Troubles.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It'll be a market and private sector led development. The masterplan is there to guide development and try and implement best practice according to the BCC pdf. I doubt there are companies queuing up as we speak to start work.

BCC will likely work with NI Govt. departments such as DfI and DfC on projects like public realm, the proposed new museum/cultural centre and Smithfield Market. The majority of the work will come from the private sector though.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's almost an entire new city centre - here's hoping they follow the new masterplan guide for addressing the return of, what is it, 66 thousand residents into the city centre - this looks like it would handle a substantial portion of that

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There's some kind of weird limbo - apparently they're still technically bound by some ancient (80's/90's) plan. the more recent ones that we've heard are more modern and tailored to what Belfast needs but apparently there're not legally binding/ratified/whatever it is that planners do to full onboard the plan into active part of the planning process/criteria.

So projects are still being assessed using out of date criteria and priorities.

I'm sure Bug and his planning pals would helpfully, and kindly, expand on this but in case they don't then all I know is that there is a figure of many thousands of residents to be part of the city centre in the next decade.

It's a bit vague compared t the sledeghammer figure of over 1.5 million sq ft of new grade a office space which was given ridiculous prominence in my city council newsletter last year.

The number of buildings in this plan would just about single handedly take care of the bulk of the home needed to actually turn this from a vague hope into something real.

Unless... {scratches chin}... you know... it just could be that the council don't give a damn about that and simply want more and more office space above all else... but... that'd be ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Not really plans, more a set of suggestions as to how the area could be developed in future- they categorise the types of streets in the area and suggest types of development and landscaping appropriate for each type and so on.

It also tries to deal with the Castlecourt issue by hinting at widening the mall, and putting a more VS style roof on. The correct course of action, of course, would be to get rid of Castlecourt entirely. It's served its purpose. Time to more on.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
So finally we're seeing the extension of Castlecourt?...good.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
So finally we're seeing the extension of Castlecourt?...good.
I wouldn't think so. The master plan continually reinforces how detrimental Castlecourt was to the area. With both Castlecourt and Victoria Square not operating at full capacity, additional mall space surely wouldn't be the greatest idea- after all, there's only so many Boots, pretzel stands and various shops selling Yankee candles you throw into a mall

Here's the image from the masterplan, from the Smithfield side, showing a widened entrance and bigger glass roof.

INWP
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
If I was a bored billionaire I'd buy Castlecourt and demolish it including the carpark. Then rebuild the facades of these buildings with an ultra modern 3-4 storey setback.... (Disneyland style facadism at its very best but surye)

Stick a swanky hotel in the former Grand Central Hotel building.
Apple Store in the old GPO, swanky bar and apartments above.
Apartments above the ground floor retail.
Berry Street completely restored to its former glory.
Smithfield restored to its former glory.
Garfield Street restored to its former glory.
New cross community (integrated) secondary school built.
Market rebuilt.
All service yards underground.
Affordable housing everywhere.
Green space and grass everywhere.

·
22,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm sure Bug and his planning pals would helpfully, and kindly, expand on this but in case they don't then all I know is that there is a figure of many thousands of residents to be part of the city centre in the next decade.

It's a bit vague compared t the sledeghammer figure of over 1.5 million sq ft of new grade a office space which was given ridiculous prominence in my city council newsletter last year.

The number of buildings in this plan would just about single handedly take care of the bulk of the home needed to actually turn this from a vague hope into something real.
I don't have any planning pals...

In regard to your continued annoyance at BCC's resident re-population figure and the office accommodation figure. Have you actually sat for a moment and given thought to where the proposed 66,000 people will live in Belfast?

I'd say BCC's figure is at the very optimistic end of the scale when you consider that Belfast would need to build at least 628 Academy Street towers to house them. Considering that we can count on one hand the number of new residential projects under construction in Belfast at the moment you can somewhat see the difficulty we face.

Even if we take out say 7000 students living in the city in PBSA schemes and allocate 25% (14,000) of the remaining figure to city centre living that's still a huge amount of new real estate to build (133 towers)

In comparison, their office figure would be covered, and then some, by the following;

Bankmore Square - 250,000sqft
Bedford Street - 200,000sqft
City Quays 3 - 250,000sqft
Olympic House - 150,000sqft
Church Place - 100,000sqft
Chichester House - 50,000sqft
River House - 90,000sqft
The Sixth - 230,000sqft
Merchant Square - 250,000sqft

Total 1.57m sqft

So actually, in comparison the office figure is no where near as ambitious as the residential figure and is very achievable and will likely be achieved within the next 2-3 years.

It may annoy you that offices are being built but clearly investors see those as a more immediate return than building apartment blocks and 'hoping' lots of people start living in Belfast. The offices at least afford the opportunity for job creation and that in turn, along with other developments and necessary investment, increases the attractiveness of city centre living and provides a basis for investment in residential development.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Looks like the buildings that were demolished between Kent and North streets have become...a car park! lol So much for the 'ambitious redevelopment'.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Looks like the buildings that were demolished between Kent and North streets have become...a car park! lol So much for the 'ambitious redevelopment'.
Aye and it's coming up to 2 years since they tore down the buildings down on North St, Union St, Kent St. Still nothing.....
Maybe we'll get something in 20 years time.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts