SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Set to be approved at the planning committee next week.

Plans have been modified- the poorest element of the scheme, the hotel on Queen Street- has been dropped. Instead, the entire building will be office and ground floor retail, and the Queen Street facade will be similar to that on Castle Street.

Former hotel:

NH2
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

Current proposal:

NH3
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a mess of a design. 5 different facade elements layered on top of each other. Some vertical, some horizontal, differing window sizes. I can understand the current trend of random fenestration in order to break up the mass of a building but this is so inelegant.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is a mess of a design. 5 different facade elements layered on top of each other. Some vertical, some horizontal, differing window sizes. I can understand the current trend of random fenestration in order to break up the mass of a building but this is so inelegant.
If they just lost the topheavy fourth floor treatment with those completely unnecessary extra heavy brick piers and continued the reasonably elegant treatment of the floors below this would look OK... As it is it's like a throwback to the worst of the 80s...

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the best elevation, which is better news for Queen St. The Castle St and Fountain elevations should at worst revert to this. Stating the obvious but it'll be the standard of materials used that will have a significant impact on the appearance of the building.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wonder if work will start on this one before Bedford is finished. M&R seem to have a strangle hold on large developments outside City Quays.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I's assume they would want work to start asap, take advantage of the disruption in the area due to Bank Buildings refurbishment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts