SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8295078.stm

A £100m plan has been unveiled to develop land adjacent to the Odyssey entertainment complex in Belfast.
Planning permission is being sought for 800 residential units, two hotels and a promenade.
The Odyssey Trust said the idea was to better integrate the site with the rest of the city centre.
The Trust has been working on its plan for two years and hopes to secure outline planning permission within 12 months.
Chief Executive Robert Fitzpatrick said: "While it would be easy to fear the impact of the current recession, we believe there is a bright future for the Odyssey and that now is the time to begin the work to secure and sustain its future success."
The project would be financed entirely by private investment.
"After much creative and innovative work, we have submitted a master plan that begins to articulate our vision for the future," said Mr Fitzpatrick.
Most of the project site takes in the complex's existing car park, though about 2,700 parking spaces are planned for a two-storey block integrated into the development.
On top of residential and hotel developments, the plan envisages a leisure facility, shops and a new civic plaza in front of the Odyssey.
The 10-year-old Odyssey complex was Northern Ireland's landmark millennium project, costing £120m.
Brian Hughes, the complex's operations director, said: "Instead of being relatively isolated and with a somewhat limited offer, the Odyssey of the future will be better accessed, multi-use, 24-hour environment."

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Great news. The car park is wasted land at the moment and undoubtedly is worth a fortune.

I wish I could go to sleep for a few years because the Titanic Quarter is going to be fantastic. Can't wait!

·
22,045 Posts
I think it's fantastic news and agree with all the development close by combined, it will finally feel part of the city and help with expanding it toward the river front.

Now just to see progress with City Quays and Queens Quay.

·
22,045 Posts
That extension wasn't right (Although we never knew the exact materials to be used) - However some alteration to the external ground floor facade of the Odyssey i'm sure you'll agree is needed.... It's just like walking around a huge service yard...

Yeah does need some improvement. Though to be honest, I don't think at that time they thought the area around it would become a massive new city quarter, it was backing onto warehouses and storage space when it was built.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Anything to hide that complex out of view, it should be shroud in green netting. New stuff looks good, however I wonder how long it will be until all this hits the ground with construction?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Looks.absolutely.brilliant.

So.if.I.understand.right.the.car.park.is.being.developed.and.the.grassy.area.at.the.front.

I.thought.for.a.bit.that.it.might.have.affected.TQ.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The tower will be about the same height at the Obel - (28 Floors). Looks like the grass areas will be raised up and the carpark beneath. I just hope it doesn't create dead space at street level because the carpark isn't in the basement.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The tower will be about the same height at the Obel - (28 Floors). Looks like the grass areas will be raised up and the carpark beneath. I just hope it doesn't create dead space at street level because the carpark isn't in the basement.

All the proposed towers are going to be within 25m of each other, a bit of variety would be good, however we have the 108m maximum height allowance, which I find frustrating. What about the Arlene Foster planning guidlines for Belfast with relation to skyscrapers any word?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
What about the Arlene Foster planning guidlines for Belfast with relation to skyscrapers any word?
What.is.this?

Good.news.or.bad.news.

I.Googled.can't.find.anything.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts