SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The start of work on the Pavillion is imminent. Rockies bar closed down yesterday stating that it was due to the start of work on the 10 million pound refurbishment and reconfiguration.
What a loss. Tremendous bar.

At least we will have a pavillion full of soulless chain restaurants. Excellent.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Proposal of Application Notice has apparently been submitted for the Odyssey Quays scheme.

https://www.ulsterbusiness.com/arti...-development-odyssey-quays-takes-step-forward

Edit- the PAN notice is indeed up on the planning portal, and it states there will be a public info session in the Odyssey Arena foyer, October 9th, 3pm to 7pm.

For reference, the scheme comprises 798 apartments, 2 hotels, office space, retail space, café and bar space and multi-storey car parking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Clocked that toady... call me cynical, but I'd wager it will still be sitting there as a massive car park for the next 10 years.
Totally agree. Surely though the pavilion area can't be left in its current sorry state for much longer?

I went to the cinema there about two weeks ago with friends (the cinema has morphed into something of an independent minded place of late with great social media presence and screenings) and it was just sad to see. In a perverse way it was fun to find the ghosts still hiding there relating to Hard Rock Cafes, IMAX cinemas (real ones not fake ones!) and Indian Oceans.

The bowling alley and games arcade are still good though and actually kept really clean and nice.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Totally agree. Surely though the pavilion area can't be left in its current sorry state for much longer?

I went to the cinema there about two weeks ago with friends (the cinema has morphed into something of an independent minded place of late with great social media presence and screenings) and it was just sad to see. In a perverse way it was fun to find the ghosts still hiding there relating to Hard Rock Cafes, IMAX cinemas (real ones not fake ones!) and Indian Oceans.

The bowling alley and games arcade are still good though and actually kept really clean and nice.
I had wondered re the other restaurants, did they just close due to trading or were the leases intentionally run down to allow the redevelopment?

Hopefully a least the riverside bit progresses soon. Allegedly a outline planning app is due for the department Queens Quay scheme this year as well..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Who owns the land is it Belfast Harbour or some Odyssey trust organisation. I don't see the point of developing it until Queens Quay is completed which could be 10 years on its own. The car park itself it backed from dusk till dawn so unless they where trying to increase parking capacity I don't see how they could be making anymore money taking on debt to build apartments that no one would want to live in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^

It's owned by the Harbour Commissioners but leased to Odyssey Trust. Car parking will be retained but under the proposed developments and the car park sites will be developed in phases to limit impact on provision.
Assume the multi storey carpark was in the first phase?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Went down to the consultation this evening. Asked whether it was simply a tick box exercise and that we'd all be back here whenever the next planning permission is about to expire... with the response i got, i wouldn't be expecting anything happening soon! Certainly nothing will be happening before the refurb of the Odyssey Pavilion is complete. I enquired when that was due to get underway, and they weren't able to provide an answer other than to say all the work done required to obtain planning permission is complete. So, who knows. The Pavilion is an absolute sight to behold these days. Such a shame to see Rockies lying empty gutted of all the memorabilia, but there we go.

Also enquired about the final design of the scheme. I noted that, in my view, the present scheme is pre-crash architecture, and with City Quays raising the bar across the river, the final scheme here will need significant improvement.

The scheme will have 2550 parking spaces, on multi-storey car parks contained within the units. None of it will be below ground either, due to contamination from the former railway station and coal yard. That is more than double the current capacity, so there were a few enquiries from others as to how the roads will cope with the extra traffic.

Here are the slides; not exactly a font of information.

IMGP2026
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

IMGP2027

IMGP2028

IMGP2029

·
Registered
833 Posts
I meant to pop down there after work and totally forgot so thanks for doing the needful.
I don't see that car park being built on for at least a decade. I'd be happy to see the river front fully developed though. Right up to the Albert Bridge, it has so much potential to put Dublin to shame, hopefully we don't screw it up.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts