Contractor:
Floor space: 190 units
Height: 30 Floors
Cost:

Images courtesy of Rapport Architects and info from FutureBelfast

·
Registered
52 Posts
Although I can't say I'm a huge fan of the design, I think it's great that more and more ambitious projects are being proposed. I hope this gets built!

·
reach for the skies
761 Posts
I'd like to see it add to the emerging skyline, although it does seem to dwarf Obel and the upcoming CQ3 in the render above.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I think it would look better without the part that sits beside the James Clow apartments and goes up about two thirds of the height, just keep it a simple sleek tower.

Would be good if the bit at the top of the tower had a similar lighting scheme as was proposed on the Aurora tower.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Likewise, I don't mind it and hope it goes through, but struggling to see the economics/demand for a 30 storey residential building in this location - fringes of the city centre with limited local amenities, no balconies etc. I fully expect to see 10 floors taken off it tbh...

Haven't seen the elevation from the other side, I'm assuming it's quite ugly? (hence not showing it in the visualisations) - eg core on the exterior as it's a very narrow site so a central core wouldn't work directly in the middle of the structure.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I don't think it's that ugly, but it will be interesting to the see rear and side elevations because I hope they're not too similar to what they did on the rear of Capital Dock in Dublin, eg hiding the core with ugly grey cladding...

All being well tho I hope it goes ahead. It'll make the likelihood of a bridge across from Sailortown to Titanic Belfast much more likely IMO. Such a bridge would transform the riverfront on both sides and act as a catalyst for the wider regeneration of Sailortown and the Titanic Quarter. Belfast deserves a World class riverfront with some iconic 100 metre+ buildings IMO.

All the way from the Lagan Meadows via the embankment, Ormeau Park, Waterside (sirocco), Laganside, Odyssey, City Quays to the Titanic Quarter should be well connected with traffic free cycle and pedestrian bridges and routes, wildlife, open green space, world class public realm. Belfast could be one of the most well connected, green, clean, healthy and environmentally friendly cities in Europe if we get it right.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm interested to see the rear elevation as well. You have a chance though to comment on that aspect in the consultation!

I don't think we should wait for local amenities to appear before building this. It's this sort of development that will encourage those amenities to consider opening. The retail unit at the base of this will likely be a convenience store of some sort and the restaurant unit could do a decent trade with a busy City Quays only a short walk away and plenty of existing offices in the older portion of Clarendon Dock.

I hope they stick with the height, it's certainly ambitious but sure why not! Good luck to them. If they opt for a PRS scheme then it could be attractive to transient workers in City Quays and Titanic Quarter.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Aye, not bad... would love to see something simple and iconic like the Arts Tower in Sheffield though (which would complement nearby city quays buildings nicely), with a multi-use approach focusing on culture rather than solely resi to help reinvigorate what was a traditionally lively quarter.

·
saulalvarez
124 Posts
All for this development. A 30 story tower with a sky bar and retail with hundreds of residents to repopulate our city centre is hard to say no to. Serious questions of BCC if this is rejected, especially after Aurora, now a petrol station....Hopefully they have learned something.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pre-application consultation closes on 30th April. I'd urge people to contribute. I'm supportive but keen to stress the rear elevation should not be a vast blank swathe of brick, perhaps some decorative brickwork or ornamentation, as well as stressing the importance of quality in terms of brick/stone and windows. Capital Dock in Dublin is a perfect example of how cheap windows can ruin a building.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Anyone have any clue if/when this will be looked at by the planning committee, or is this likely dead in the water?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as I can tell from the Planning Portal, the pre-application was deemed acceptable so it's now up to the developer to decide whether to submit a full planning application (given the time that has elapsed, maybe that seems more unlikely?)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ah ok, I assumed it was from the councils end due to opposition from the save Rotterdam bar group, that to me is more positive, prob won’t hear again about it until post pandemic

1 - 20 of 39 Posts