SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No that's really what it'll look like from the M2.

I highlighted this issue a while back and derided the hideousness of that proposed side.Most of it is covered by the James Clow building but that upper section needs reconsideration or at least something like faux windows or details like the Academy Street scheme.

·
Registered
484 Posts
No that's really what it'll look like from the M2.

I highlighted this issue a while back and derided the hideousness of that proposed side.Most of it is covered by the James Clow building but that upper section needs reconsideration or at least something like faux windows or details like the Academy Street scheme.
well it’s only preapplication so there will be changes, hopefully for that side, if planning permission is fully applied for.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Flipping heck, don't tell me it will the Obel all over again. How expensive can it be to put in fake windows and a uniform design on all 4 sides of the building.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Will be interesting to see if there are any design changes to the preapplication. From the images from that post it appears no, but they might be using the original design for their agenda.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok can’t find any application on bcc just the pre one, maybe the tweet is more about the 1 year lease ending.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Seen a report on this in bbc news, about sailorstown residents objecting this. Developer responded that their views will be taken into account with a formal planning application due to be submitted soon.
Note that was stated on Tv

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here is the article on it, I hope this doesn’t go the same way as lanyon central. But I do hope the quality of the design is improved.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think the proposal needs reduced in height. It is far too tall relative to its neighbouring building especially with the blank wall.

With that many apartments you would think they could support a convenience store, restaurant and bar now on the ground floor. Especially with City Quays half way through completion.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I don't mind the height so much if its a quality tower on all sides. This one isn't, so it needs to be changed, or be rejected.

Looking at that article on BBC, i never realised what a sorry state the ground floors of James Clow are. A couple of shutters and two floors of car parking. Repulsive. What is it with designers of these apartment schemes that means they are incapable of designing anything nice at street level? See also Portland 88, and the thankfully rejected Havelock House as recent examples

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think the proposal needs reduced in height. It is far too tall relative to its neighbouring building especially with the blank wall.

With that many apartments you would think they could support a convenience store, restaurant and bar now on the ground floor. Especially with City Quays half way through completion.
I think the best compromise will be to have a bar/restaurant to replace the Rotterdam in it.

I don’t think the height is a problem here though due to the city quay development’s proximity and future developments planned in that area.

The blank side needs changed though, and if they have to reduce the height to afford it so be it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at that article on BBC, i never realised what a sorry state the ground floors of James Clow are. A couple of shutters and two floors of car parking. Repulsive. What is it with designers of these apartment schemes that means they are incapable of designing anything nice at street level? See also Portland 88, and the thankfully rejected Havelock House as recent examples
I used to live in the James Clow for a few years, agree the ground level isn't great but I remember chatting with someone about the parking situation there and they would have had to go down deep for underground parking due to the location (I think obel had similar problems?) so it was just easier to build a parking 'podium'.

Portland88 street level is awful too, I am not sure if they have managed to sell any of those ground floor duplex apartments? I know I would hate to be facing out onto that area of the ormeau road, I see they all have frosted glass anyway... with the amount of foot traffic passing here (especially from workers walk into the city centre) a good convenience store would have been perfect I think.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I used to live in the James Clow for a few years, agree the ground level isn't great but I remember chatting with someone about the parking situation there and they would have had to go down deep for underground parking due to the location (I think obel had similar problems?) so it was just easier to build a parking 'podium'.
The Obel parking is underground ok. Was looking to see a reason why they managed it, thinking that possibly the site of James Clow was on reclaimed land. The best i could find was this map. The Obel would be near where high street is marked, so perhaps the ground is a bit more stable, whereas James Clow would be near Clarendon, near to or possibly on land that was historically prone to cover at higher tides, so perhaps the ground doesn't lend itself to basement parking at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts

The buildings in Belfast are rather short. It’s be nice to have a tall one for once.

What is it with NI people and pessimism.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The buildings in Belfast are rather short. It’s be nice to have a tall one for once.

What is it with NI people and pessimism.
Speaking as someone who has lived in that area for a while, I would personally love to see more, and taller buildings being built around there, especially residential. It is a pretty dead area at night but with yorkgate train station only a couple of mins walk away and the great motorway access it is actually a nice and convenient place to live. Needs more bars, restaurants etc though, never went to any of the bars around there to be honest, my local was mchughs.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts