Contractor: Farrans Construction
Floor space: 250,000 sqft
Height: 57.25m
Cost: £65m

Images courtesy of FutureBelfast

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see some nearby residents are complaining about the height already.
They have no chance of blocking it.

Some residents of Victoria Square complained about the new office development on Chichester Street due to height and their objections were ignored.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I can't think of any residential unit that would have a view of this building, even if it was double the height. Still sad to see the cinema go.
The article states it is residents of the Park Avenue apartment complex; having never heard of that before, it turns out that is the back of the Clayton hotel. The residents claim there are issues with:

-Shadowing - surely the buildings are far enough apart for that not to be an issue?

-Noise - unless they are referring to construction noise, i can't think of anything else that would make this particularly noisy.

-The building is out of character with the area - this is some cheek considering the state of their own apartment complex.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't think of any residential unit that would have a view of this building, even if it was double the height. Still sad to see the cinema go.
The complaints are coming from some living in Shaftesbury Court, which faces the development across Marcus Ward Street

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Note the date has slipped to 2021, and also it's a sign of the projects status that JJ Abrams himself helped direct the glossy video. Also I believe I saw that effect last used in the Russel The Davies TV show, The Second Coming. All hail our shiny corporate overlords folks!

The design keeps changing? Now there's a random atrium up top of the central shaft,

The Consultation made a big play on how there was only 3 permanent staff on site at the moment*. Ignoring the jobs and money it gave people working part time hours and brought people in on Tuesday nights.

Thus I thought it was a ridiculous thing to pitch on as a positive. The 3000 jobs are not guaranteed or even realistic, and any economic benefits are mostly going to be headed offshore. (And the only taxes coming from the workers )

It's all useless to moan about ​it now or course but a reminder of the tactics taken to win at any cost - in a few years as Belfast continues to lose its fight for its After Five night life mid week I'll just happily post beauty shots of this and remind yous all to be grateful that this was built.

(*Of course if they'd looked at the space beside the Days Inn they'd have found it was Zero full time jobs there and therefore an even better boost for the city tax coffers!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts