SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Department of Social Development have launched a consultation on the proposed Queen's Quay development. The plans include at least two towers and a zip wire running across the Lagan from Queen's Quay to the City Quays site on the opposite bank.

Pictures are available here from page 5 onwards: http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/queens-quay-consultation-section-three.pdf

The main tower on the left looks stunning. :banana:

I'm sure it will be at least a year before there is any movement on this (consultation doesn't close until end of March, then several months to actually consult and allow for usual levels of pen pushing in the civil service) but this will really be a fantastic landmark if it goes ahead.

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
WOWOWOW! An iconic tall building, an observation tower, incredibly enhanced public realm and an updated foot bridge = amazing :) This would more than make up for the lack of movement on the City, Sirocco & Odyessy Quays.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I can't see any private company tendering to operate an unprofitable zip line slide. it would have more chance being built if it was run by the council, they could emphasise it's closeness to their skateboard park under the flyover and any possible 'outdoor gym' equipment they might build. Belfast City Council investing in sports in the city centre- why did they never sell of Maysfield Leisure Centre.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Article in BT yesterday:
Before any large-scale construction would take place, the masterplan suggests extending the current boardwalk from the existing weir along the river's edge.

It also suggests building an ‘urban gym', public art and an urban park.

“The concept aims to create an animated riverside frontage and significantly improved pedestrian links to surrounding developments,” the masterplan states.

But it also notes that “commercial development is unlikely to be deliverable in the current market”.

Substantial redevelopment has already taken place across other areas of Belfast around the Lagan.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...wire-across-lagan-16125157.html#ixzz1nxI7k5v3

·
22,105 Posts
I still don't see where they are putting the Lagan Weir Lock that Belfast City Council want to build, it doesn't exist in those renders. I've emailed the guy responsible for the Lagan project and once I hear back I'll let you know.

·
Registered
425 Posts
From BBC

Planners have approved a major development of land adjacent to the Odyssey entertainment complex in Belfast.

The plan at Queens Quay includes 800 flats, two hotels, shops, bars and a multi-storey car park.

The application was submitted in 2009 by the Odyssey Millennium Ltd.

At that time Odyssey Millennium Ltd said the scheme would cost up to £100m and would be financed entirely by private investment.

The Odyssey Millennium Ltd is associated with the owner of the Odysssey Arena, the Odyssey Trust Company.

A separate part of the Odyssey complex, the Pavillion, is currently being offered for sale by its administrators.

The entertainment venue, which adjoins the Arena and W5 Science Centre, comprises 15 units, including bars and a 12-screen cinema.

There has been substantial redevelopment of other sites close to the Lagan in recent years, including Lanyon Place, Donegall Quay and the Titanic Quarter.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm maybe going to make myself look really stupid, but I always thought the Odyssey development and the so called "Queens quay" development are two completely different developments.

Is the Odyssey one an extension of "Queens quay."

·
Registered
116 Posts
The development as depicted in the render in the vanishin's post above (March 2nd, 2012, 12.49) is beside the Odyssey development, but further south along the eastern bank of the Lagan.

So I would assume they're quite different developments.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boba Fett22 said:
I'm maybe going to make myself look really stupid, but I always thought the Odyssey development and the so called "Queens quay" development are two completely different developments.

Is the Odyssey one an extension of "Queens quay."
Yeah they are different developments. Odyssey Quays is obviously a fairly recent name, as the odyssey is strictly speaking on Queens Quay. Though I suppose the m3 bridge kind of acts as a boundary now adays.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Odyssey Quays and Queen's Quay are different developments. The former is on the Odyssey car park site, the latter adjacent to the Lagan Weir, directly across the river from The Boat.

There is plenty of scope for confusion, because Queen's Quay was initially proposed by Sheridan Group several years ago, who were at one point one of the key stakeholders in the Odyssey Pavilion. I think Sheridan has now been dissolved, or at least in serious difficulties with NAMA.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts