SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
22,116 Posts
So is the above renders from a different development to the plan that has been given the go-ahead?
No the media is a bit confused. The above renders are of the Odyssey Plaza, for lack of a better term, plan. This is the one that has been approved.

Queen's Quay is currently a work in progress and out for consultation, though the plans that have been released so far are likely to be altered as they didn't account for the new boat lock that Belfast CC are planning to build beside the Lagan Weir.

·
Registered
757 Posts
No the media is a bit confused. The above renders are of the Odyssey Plaza, for lack of a better term, plan. This is the one that has been approved.

Queen's Quay is currently a work in progress and out for consultation, though the plans that have been released so far are likely to be altered as they didn't account for the new boat lock that Belfast CC are planning to build beside the Lagan Weir.
Ahhhhhh, so it is definitely the Odyssey car park plan that's been approved, not Queen's Quay?

Either way, it's good news. Both these schemes were part of the missing link to connect TQ to the city centre. Also, it's one less car park in the city :banana:

·
22,116 Posts
Though you have to wonder why the Odyssey are considering building over what is probably a profitable car park, unless they are looking to build a replacement one elsewhere.
A new two storey car park is being build as part of the plan. They have just disguised it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
As much as I hate the idea of another car park, it is part of a 10,000 seater arena complex, so I'm not going to get annoyed about this one...provided it's underground and well hidden :p

Also, there appear to be lots of green roofs in the renders. That's Odyssey Quays, Royal Exchange, Uni Ulster all with proposed rooftop gardens. I like this!

·
22,116 Posts
As much as I hate the idea of another car park, it is part of a 10,000 seater arena complex, so I'm not going to get annoyed about this one...provided it's underground and well hidden :p

Also, there appear to be lots of green roofs in the renders. That's Odyssey Quays, Royal Exchange, Uni Ulster all with proposed rooftop gardens. I like this!
Yeah the green roofs are helping hide anything that looks like a car park lol.

I think this development will look fantastic. Question is how will it take before construction starts. I can see movement on the hotel aspects in the near future, it all comes down to finance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
belfastuniguy said:
Yeah the green roofs are helping hide anything that looks like a car park lol.

I think this development will look fantastic. Question is how will it take before construction starts. I can see movement on the hotel aspects in the near future, it all comes down to finance.
Yeah, I don't think we should hold our breath on construction starting soon. However, the documents on the planning portal do detail the phasing. I think it's the hotel/residential at the river first.

·
COYS
1,708 Posts
Looks like its all starting to kick of in Belfast again at last. Is it that tower that everyone is talking about being the hotel?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Should we continue news etc. of this development in the Odyssey Redevelopment thread?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=975554&page=2

Was just looking through the Odyssey thread, and was reminded of the potential of the scheme- was looking at the drawing posted by belfastuniguy (post #23 in the thread)- if the final scheme resembles what is in that image, it is exciting times ahead. Particularly if it is the riverside development that is likely to commence first.

Obviously, we don't know when development is likely to start, but it would be great if there was some similar movement with City Quays- i think development of the riverside from the Obel to City Quays, and the associated footbridge from City Quays to Odyssey is important in providing a more integrated and cohesive environment.

·
Registered
757 Posts
DSD unveils redevelopment plans for Queen's Quay, Belfast

A temporary zip-line is regularly set up for charity events but it would become a permanent feature as part of the plan for Queen's Quay.

It covers an area of 1.3 hectares on the east bank, close to the Odyssey.

The master plan includes a four star hotel and almost 300 homes, alongside bars and restaurants.

The Department for Social Development (DSD), which is behind the plans, said any development would take place on a phased basis, dependent on market conditions.

Later this year DSD will bid for executive funding to begin public realm works which will include the removal of the Station Street flyover and creating a boardwalk along the river.

The plan also states that because of an anticipated "slow response from the developer sector" in the current economic climate, the development plots will be used as "temporary public realm amenities".

Those amenities could include things like, 'pop-up' food and drink kiosks alongside temporary artwork or sculptures.

DSD has used a similar approach at its Queen's Parade site in Bangor where 'art pods' are providing temporary studio space for artists.

It says that it is not promoting Queen's Quay to developers yet but will "monitor market conditions" and listen to informal expressions of interest.

A provisional timetable anticipates the selection of a developer in 2015/16 with completion of the scheme by 2022.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/23879471

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Anyone know if the Queens Quay proposal has secured any funding yet for its phased approach? I think it's one of the more exciting riverside developments! I see on their masterplan they'd hoped to have funding to undertake public realm works by 2014 and begin infrastructure works to remove the Station Street flyover. But haven't heard any updates since.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Anyone know if the Queens Quay proposal has secured any funding yet for its phased approach? I think it's one of the more exciting riverside developments! I see on their masterplan they'd hoped to have funding to undertake public realm works by 2014 and begin infrastructure works to remove the Station Street flyover. But haven't heard any updates since.
Surely it needs a developer to sign up like northside, otherwise it will go nowhere?! Public realm, road changes etc are only really bits dsd can influence.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Surely it needs a developer to sign up like northside, otherwise it will go nowhere?! Public realm, road changes etc are only really bits dsd can influence.
I think you re probably correct. If government is the main driver for this, they would be mad to build anything more than public realm works unless at least one major prospective tenant was in the pipeline for phase one. That has become even more a concern since the huge gap in the government finances became apparent.

If I were managing the Queen's Quay project on behalf of government I would be basically keeping it on the back burner as much as possible, and wait for a couple of years to see what happens *if* corporation tax is devolved.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Loving the Evolution Tower in Moscow City...hope the twisting tower proposed for Queens Quay follows a similar design!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
:nuts:

That'd be "Amaze balls"

Let's hope something different is done to punctuate it amid the merely "lovely and functional" that usually goes up

·
Registered
842 Posts
It would look amazing, the Obel really needs some company on that stretch of the river. Hopefully CQ2 and CQ3 add a bit more to the built up feeling in that area too.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts