SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
467 Posts
http://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-pro...een's-quay-belfast-bt3-9qq-2011556?currency=1

Expressions of Interest Invited (for all or in part)

- C.3.2 acre (c.1.3 hectare) development opportunity.
- Prominent waterfront location with south west facing aspect.
- Highly accessible to the city centre by car, foot and public transport.
- Close proximity to surrounding landmark developments; The SSE Arena, Titanic Quarter, The Obel Tower, The Boat and Waterfront Hall.
- Natural link (by vehicle and foot) between the City Centre and Titanic Quarter.
- Less than 10 minute drive from Belfast City Airport.

·
Registered
842 Posts
http://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-pro...een's-quay-belfast-bt3-9qq-2011556?currency=1

Expressions of Interest Invited (for all or in part)

- C.3.2 acre (c.1.3 hectare) development opportunity.
- Prominent waterfront location with south west facing aspect.
- Highly accessible to the city centre by car, foot and public transport.
- Close proximity to surrounding landmark developments; The SSE Arena, Titanic Quarter, The Obel Tower, The Boat and Waterfront Hall.
- Natural link (by vehicle and foot) between the City Centre and Titanic Quarter.
- Less than 10 minute drive from Belfast City Airport.
Very interesting. Who currently owns the site is it BHC?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I'm sure the masterplan will need a revision- the lagan weir footbridge has changed in the meantime, plus there's meant to be a lock installed to allow boats to navigate the weir, which I don't think was in the original masterplan.

Nothing would likely happen until the Station Street flyover is demolished too.

Seems to be the way of things here. Someone proposes a plan for a site... nothing happens... site is sold... new plan is proposed... nothing happens... site is sold. And on we go.

·
Unregistered User
708 Posts
^^ I disagree. From what I have been gathering through following this forum lately, Belfast has a lot (really, A LOT) going on at the moment. Yes, it is the capital of NI and all, but compared to many other British (not to mention foreign) cities of larger populations (again, not to mention same-sized ones), Belfast is doing really well regarding the city's growth and development.

I think you should be happy and proud of what your city is achieving. It used to be known for its poverty and danger, whilst now the city centre is booming with more and more residents (a lot of whom are students), companies moving in (almost the whole waterfront) and tourists, in great part thanks to the Titnanic Quarter.

If you take a look at other UK sub-forums you'll see that things aren't just any better almost anywhere else, but in fact quite a lot worse!

Belfast is rocking it mate :cheers:

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
^^ I disagree. From what I have been gathering through following this forum lately, Belfast has a lot (really, A LOT) going on at the moment. Yes, it is the capital of NI and all, but compared to many other British (not to mention foreign) cities of larger populations (again, not to mention same-sized ones), Belfast is doing really well regarding the city's growth and development.

I think you should be happy and proud of what your city is achieving. It used to be known for its poverty and danger, whilst now the city centre is booming with more and more residents (a lot of whom are students), companies moving in (almost the whole waterfront) and tourists, in great part thanks to the Titnanic Quarter.

If you take a look at other UK sub-forums you'll see that things aren't just any better almost anywhere else, but in fact quite a lot worse!

Belfast is rocking it mate :cheers:
I definitely agree there is an unprecedented amount of activity in Belfast! Never known a time of such a boom in activity in all my time living here! I was thinking more of specific masterplans that are drawn up for various sections of the city centre that really don't go anywhere, only to resurface a few years later for sale or with a new masterplan. As a result of the inactivity, we end up with plots of wasted land, some of which have been sitting empty for over 20 years.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Im w9th hypnopad. Too many of these sites get BS master plans nothing happens and the site goes on in a spiral over and over again. I dont think there will be any twirly tower on this site for 20 years at the current rate.
The only buildings going up are being funded as a result of UU expansion in Belfast and BHC developing City Quays. If it wasnt for that wed be looking at a lost decade in developmenment with no end in sight.
Im convinced the vast majority of developers in Belfast do nothing but land bank.

·
Unregistered User
708 Posts
I agree with you both in that some developers aren't delivering their projects - for whatever reason that is. But a lot of things have been accomplished, too, which is what really matters. Not everything will happen at once in a mideium-sized city such as Belfast simply because there isn't the market for it. However, the city has evolved a lot and that is something you should all be proud of.

Meanwhile, in other places, things haven't changed much recently. They also get these cyclical masterplans that last for 5-10 years and then are eventually dropped, whilst nothing else notorious has been done.

Bottom line is, whilst there is still a lot to be done, Belfast is outdoing cities with similar characteristics and, IMO, ist evolving at a good pace.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Notably it's mostly publicly owned works that are transforming Belfast. Connswater is a notable social/community example as well.

Private business/ owners, have been lazy and pampered by a system that fails to punish their nepotistic* leanings as well as selfishness and greed. This is where a Land Tax would go a long way to getting them moving.

*Insert better word to describe the deliberately misleading Master Plan Game of hyping a piece of land to be sold to another developer, who does the same a couple of years later, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if some sites have come round to the original developer again after a few years; there's only so many of them in NI after all.

One big circle of empty promises.

#RIPtwistyTower

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with you both in that some developers aren't delivering their projects - for whatever reason that is. But a lot of things have been accomplished, too, which is what really matters. Not everything will happen at once in a mideium-sized city such as Belfast simply because there isn't the market for it. However, the city has evolved a lot and that is something you should all be proud of.
This ^^

Not everything will get built all the time. That's just the way things work. Some projects take longer to get going than others. Especially larger ones. Remember we've just been thru the worst financial crisis in 80 years so there won't be the same appetite for risk, and rightly so. I think what is happening in Belfast at the moment is great, and there will be plenty more of it in the future. Remember sites that had grand plans that didn't materialize could have even grander plans in the future that may actually get built :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Once the current developments have been completed I don't have a lot of confidence in other projects being kicked off for a couple of years now unfortunately. Hopefully the waterside development progresses with some if the residential Units.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts