SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unless you work at or are a student at Queen's you've probably never seen this facility.

It's known as the David Keir Student Hub

It's Titanic Belfast's lil brother :lol:

Looks good - it's many years since I've been in there - I had no idea that was even being built.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Walked past the redeveloped library tower earlier today. It's absolutely fantastic looking compared to the old monster.

IMGP0084
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

IMGP0086

And with the lower height, much less prominent too.

IMGP0083

You hardly even notice it walking round the quadrangle. Though you do also notice how poor the admin building looks compared to the rest. Are there any long term plans to eventually replace it, or even smarten it up a bit?

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
It's a fantastic redevelopment. Has a high quality look and finish to it.

No plans for the Admin building as far as I know but you never know with Queen's. I'd imagine there's been talks within the Estates department now the PFC has been remodelled.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know the window's aren't long in on the admin building, but if they were replaced with a design similar to the PFC and new library would it then blend in or still look out of place? Maybe it should be preserved as a lesson to aspiring young architects of the perils of designing bland but functional buildings.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not trying to be negative (not my style), but am I the only one a little unsold on the dark trims round the windows? It occurred to me when I finally got a close-up look at the new PFC that, in my mind, they could quickly date. In saying that though if the alternative was the typical white of the admin building beside they've made the right choice.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm not trying to be negative (not my style), but am I the only one a little unsold on the dark trims round the windows? It occurred to me when I finally got a close-up look at the new PFC that, in my mind, they could quickly date. In saying that though if the alternative was the typical white of the admin building beside they've made the right choice.
They could I suppose, though I'm already getting a modernist feel from the window choices, both colour and design, which I like. Personally I think it'll age well, I can imagine something like this being build in 10 or 20 years time.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I wonder where QUB, and for that matter the UU are getting the money for these projects, considering they're losing alot of government funding.

·
22,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I wonder where QUB, and for that matter the UU are getting the money for these projects, considering they're losing alot of government funding.

UU's money for the Belfast Campus is primarily coming from the European Investment Bank

QUB's money is coming from a range of sources including private and institutional donors, investment income and a few others.

Government funding for universities is for student places. Capital investment is generally not funded with public money and the university has to find that from other sources.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Probably the international student market, whose fees are eye watering from what I understand.

Take it this way; they are clearly valuable enough that they completely revamped Riddel Hall to focus entirely on international management students and entice them there. They will clearly, hopefully, be making back their money on each round of intakes. So no doubt this applies campus-wide especially with their focus on being in the Russel Group which plays well internationally

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably the international student market, whose fees are eye watering from what I understand.

Take it this way; they are clearly valuable enough that they completely revamped Riddel Hall to focus entirely on international management students and entice them there. They will clearly, hopefully, be making back their money on each round of intakes. So no doubt this applies campus-wide especially with their focus on being in the Russel Group which plays well internationally
Student fees Sept intake:

NI: £3800
GB: £9000
INTL: £17800

Per year, therefore a 4 year Masters UG is raking in £71200 per student!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Saw this shot of the new School of Law building on Twitter, I've been away from Belfast for a year and this has certainly changed since I last saw it!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you can't find this building then you have an easy way to tell if you're colour blind :p

So great to see the big renovations being completed at last around the uni

61 - 80 of 119 Posts