SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the view from the meeting room on the 7th floor of the new law school, there are floor to ceiling windows along one wall of the room and from here you can see from Lisburn direction round to just past Cave Hill so this is just part of it:

And this is the view over the city centre from the tower bit on the 9th (top) floor:

The view from up there is fantastic, you get a panorama of most of the city roughly from the Lisburn Road right round across the city centre and the lough to the Castlereagh Road. Shame the weather isn't a bit better!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Website up detailing the replacement process for the Students Union building.

http://www.studentcentre.qub.ac.uk/

Demolition planned for March 2019 with the new building open for the 2021/22 term.

Will be interesting to see what the replacement looks like. Can't look much worse than the current one. I wonder if there will be an urge to retain something like the existing Mandella Hall; its a tremendous venue.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Current one looks good - grat materials and the design and profile still look modern despite its age.

Unless the replacement offers a quantum leap the way the Law building did, I'm not massively hopeful it won't just be a lot of effort for not much gain - indeed given recent renovations across Belfast i'm disappointed they didn't just do an internal reconfiguration while keeping the facade

·
22,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I doubt it. They gave up on the covered street idea, that doesn't look like it could service the c25,000 students QUB has either.

Part of the reason for the redevelopment is that the current building is too small.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thank god that covered street idea never materialized. It looks even worse than the current building. The extremely high quality of recent developments at Queens suggests we should get something good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Also i just noticed, the Queens Computer Science building is just a grey box with clever use of coloured glass. If only the Maldron Hotel had been so creative. At least it would make for a quick and easy face lift.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
That's looking really good. QUB have a nice habit of doing high quality builds.

The McClay library is frigging amazing, inside and out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Curious they still don't have anything publicly released as of yet... one thing I hope is they keep the current facade facing the uni, and extend something similar around the back and sides.

The floor plans don't seem to b suggest any huge reconfiguration, or addition, to the existing building.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Odds of enclosed atrium style entrance-way definitely are higher then. That'll be good - even just having larger singular areas will add to the functionality - the warren of tiny rooms in the upper floors were always terrible and moreso when hosting something like Q-Con.

Odd they choose to use the old layout to overlay very rough plans for space on though. Sounds like few people inside or outside the Uni know what they're planning. A strange state of affairs

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Mandela Hall held its final gig on Saturday night there...

Such a great space, hopefully they can retain the same vibe in the new one.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts